HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Schools, Safety, and Huma...

Sun Sep 29, 2013, 12:50 PM

Schools, Safety, and Humans' Heirarchy of Needs.

Seventy years ago, in 1943, American psychologist Abraham Maslow presented what has come to be called the "Hierarchy of Needs".

This is a developmental model that suggests to all of us, and to educators in particular, that certain prerequisites must be satisfied before learners can truly be successful, or self-actualize.

In this era of guns and violence, especially on school grounds, even the measures taken to prevent such tragedies seem to create a scary place for learning.

Every day, even as students approach the school for what should be a fabulous day of learning, they are reminded...

The time has come for us to take comprehensive and holistic measures to reduce violence in America.

6 replies, 1050 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Schools, Safety, and Humans' Heirarchy of Needs. (Original post)
NYC_SKP Sep 2013 OP
SummerSnow Sep 2013 #1
NYC_SKP Sep 2013 #2
bossy22 Sep 2013 #3
Enthusiast Sep 2013 #4
Cha Sep 2013 #5
NYC_SKP Sep 2013 #6

Response to NYC_SKP (Original post)

Sun Sep 29, 2013, 01:11 PM

1. Wow, times have changed :(

I remember going to elementary school 1970- 1975 Brooklyn NY. There were no security guards, no metal detectors, no bag checks. When you walked into the school you were greeted by two of the sweetest elderly ladies at a desk saying good morning to visitors and directing them to where they needed to go. I also remember fire drills and those drills where we had to stand facing the wall in case a bomb hit us during the cold war.Now all of NYC public schools have the police guarding the schools and metal detectors. The seasons do change don't they.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to SummerSnow (Reply #1)

Sun Sep 29, 2013, 01:50 PM

2. Indeed, times have changed. How are students to learn? And what does this teach them?

"Absence of threat" and "Absence of fear" are fundamental to a healthy learning environment.

These safety steps seem to be to be fear inducing.

Further, they seem to prepare students for a life of perpetual invasion of privacy.

I fear more bad is being done than good.

Reply to this post

Response to SummerSnow (Reply #1)

Sun Sep 29, 2013, 07:53 PM

3. is it times have changed or that we "televise it" more often?

I've always wondered that. I'm not so sure that schools are that much more unsafe now than they were 40 years ago.

Reply to this post

Mon Sep 30, 2013, 05:09 AM

4. Kicked and recommended.

Very well done, NYC_SKP!

Reply to this post

Mon Sep 30, 2013, 05:37 AM

5. Thanks SKP..

And, yes schools are more unsafe than they were decades ago.. why is that?

Reply to this post

Response to Cha (Reply #5)

Mon Sep 30, 2013, 10:30 AM

6. I'm not convinced that schools are significantly less safe, looking for some statistics about that.

We certainly hear about a lot more crime and especially gun related crime, and the Cleveland School shooting happened just two miles from me.

No amount of violence is acceptable, and I'm certain that the war on drugs, and gangs, and urban despair, and the glorification of guns and violence in our country has led to more violence in schools, that's a given.

But I have two questions:

1: Is the threat of violence in schools such that daily screenings are justified, or is it an over-reaction that has a negative impact on student's affective domain (readiness to learn)?

2: By employing these measures, are we thinking we've done what we need to do, in turn neglecting the root causes of drugs, gangs, violence in media, and gun glorification?

I just found this story in the Washington Post:

Security guards in school: Kids feel less safe, unclear effect on crime

Time for armed security guards? (Damian Dovarganes/AP)

1) About one-third of public schools already have armed guards. "Across the country, some 23,200 schools about one-third of all public schools had armed security staff in the 2009-10 school year, the most recent year for which data are available," reports The New York Times.

2) (leaving this out to keep it at four paragraphs)

3) Some research suggests that armed guards make students feel less safe which might hurt school performance. A 2011 study in the journal Youth Society found that the presence of armed guards in schools made many students feel less secure at school. (Though there was a racial divide: White students felt less safe, but there was no change for black students.) Another journal article reported a few detrimental effects from the presence of armed guards and surveillance cameras at public schools.

That's not a trivial consideration: "We know that students who feel safe, supported, and connected in school (psychological safety) tend to have better social, behavioral, and academic outcomes," Eric Rossen of the National Association of School Psychologists told me by e-mail.

4) It's still unclear what effect armed guards would have on school shootings or other types of violence. It seems intuitive that having better security at school would stop shootings, but there isn't a lot of good research on this. One 2009 study found that schools with "resource officers" security officials, though not necessarily armed did report less criminal activity. But the authors lamented that there's little evidence on the effectiveness of security measures like surveillance cameras, metal detectors, or armed guards.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2012/12/21/security-guards-in-school-scared-students-unclear-effect-on-crime/

BTW, armed guards in schools is a Wayne LaPierre NRA idea, per the article.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread