HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Which is Obama's greatest...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sun Dec 18, 2011, 09:13 AM

Which is Obama's greatest accomplishment?

There's a long list of accomplishments and promises kept by Obama. The big ones seem to be health care reform, DADT repeal, putting together the plan that captured Bin Laden, and getting out of Iraq.

Health Care Reform was a disappointment in many ways, so I'm not sure that's it.

DADT is a massive accomplishment that wasn't necessarily ever going to happen. There was no way to force anyone to change the law. Obama vocally advocated change and it is a huge step forward.

The plan to capture Bin Laden is also a massive accomplishment. Obama promised to focus on Bin Laden and put together a plan to capture him. The plan worked and Obama proved himself as a capable president once again. Contrast that with Bush which said Bin Laden wasn't important to him as he ended the special CIA mission to catch Bin Laden.

And then there is the end of the Iraq war. "Troops Out Now!" Well, they're out. If President McCain was in charge he'd still be cooking up reasons to stay in Iraq. Obama made a huge promise on Iraq and it was kept.

Obama has promised to get troops out of Afghanistan by 2014. He needs to be re-elected for that to happen or some RWer might try to keep them there forever.

So how do you rank Obama's big accomplishments?

26 replies, 2028 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 26 replies Author Time Post
Reply Which is Obama's greatest accomplishment? (Original post)
Renew Deal Dec 2011 OP
Skinner Dec 2011 #1
Obamanaut Dec 2011 #2
shraby Dec 2011 #5
tabasco Dec 2011 #7
Obamanaut Dec 2011 #11
Sky Masterson Dec 2011 #3
RUMMYisFROSTED Dec 2011 #4
NNN0LHI Dec 2011 #10
RUMMYisFROSTED Dec 2011 #12
NNN0LHI Dec 2011 #21
enough Dec 2011 #15
pinto Dec 2011 #17
mainstreetonce Dec 2011 #25
tabasco Dec 2011 #6
NNN0LHI Dec 2011 #8
Enrique Dec 2011 #9
SmellyFeet Dec 2011 #13
Bogart Dec 2011 #14
JoePhilly Dec 2011 #22
JoePhilly Dec 2011 #16
pinto Dec 2011 #18
mmonk Dec 2011 #19
fasttense Dec 2011 #20
GoCubsGo Dec 2011 #23
izquierdista Dec 2011 #24
deaniac21 Dec 2011 #26

Response to Renew Deal (Original post)

Sun Dec 18, 2011, 09:20 AM

1. Without a doubt, his two biggest:

1. Health Care Reform
2. Killing bin Laden.

20 years from now, these will be the first-term accomplishments that people will remember, and that he will get full credit for. The next two are:

3. End of Iraq War.
4. Avoiding Global Economic Depression.

He will get credit for these, too. but his role in both has been somewhat determined by things outside his control.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Obamanaut (Reply #2)

Sun Dec 18, 2011, 09:35 AM

5. With bush there would have been probably thousands left there for "security"

for the humongous embassy he wanted built.
Obama wisely insisted on immunity for the ones that would be left because he could see the Iraqi government would not agree..they had had it with our troops there. This gave him a good excuse to not leave any troops there that were in the bargain that bush made.

Reply to this post

Response to Obamanaut (Reply #2)

Sun Dec 18, 2011, 09:37 AM

7. LOL! Bush/Rummy got us out of Iraq!

Give me some of what you're smoking.

If you think the pukes would have un-assed us from Iraq, you're not the most astute observer.

Reply to this post

Response to tabasco (Reply #7)

Sun Dec 18, 2011, 09:31 AM

3. For me it was the auto bailout

That may have saved my small business.
I make foam padding for the stainless steel rails that go in to bus interiors.
My product would be useless without a bus to put them on and the bus wouldn't exist if our auto industry wasn't around to make the engines and other parts that make the bus a bus. Killing Bin Laden was cool too

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 18, 2011, 09:32 AM

4. Getting elected.

America's heart became only two sizes too small on that day.

Women, Hispanics, Muslims, Asian Americans, et. al., your day may come as well.

Reply to this post

Response to RUMMYisFROSTED (Reply #4)

Sun Dec 18, 2011, 09:43 AM

10. That is an interesting post

And probably true too.

Don

Reply to this post

Response to NNN0LHI (Reply #10)

Sun Dec 18, 2011, 09:51 AM

12. It's not meant to diminish his other accomplishments but

on the day after the election 60 million people woke up and thought "Maybe anyone can be President!"

That's what makes America great, not faux patriotism and "shining city upon a hill" bullshit.

Reply to this post

Response to RUMMYisFROSTED (Reply #12)

Sun Dec 18, 2011, 10:15 AM

21. Oh, I knew that

Voted for Hillary in my primary because I didn't think he Obama a chance of winning in the general election.

Liked Obama better but I didn't think he could win.

I am quite convinced the right person won the nomination.

Don

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 18, 2011, 09:59 AM

15. I agree. That in itself was a monumental achievement, with lasting effects for our country.

I would also add the dignity and grace of the first family in carrying out their role, which must be incredibly hard.

I say this as a serious critic of Obama and his administration, not as a cheerleader.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 18, 2011, 10:09 AM

17. Good point. I'd include a lot of American voters that were in on that as well.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 18, 2011, 01:32 PM

25. Agrred

Getting elected changed history.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 18, 2011, 09:35 AM

6. Liberal doctors I know think the health care law was a big step in the right direction.

I'll have to go with that.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 18, 2011, 09:41 AM

8. I didn't believe we would ever leave Iraq

So, probably that one.

I didn't think we would ever leave Afghanistan either. So now I think there is a chance we may actually leave there too.

Don

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 18, 2011, 09:42 AM

9. ending the war, imo

in our Empire, that is a very difficult thing to do.

By contrast, killing a human being somewhere in the world hardly rates with me. Think of our military budget, intelligence budget, think of all our bases all over the world, all our spies in nearly every country, how we can act with total impunity, kill civilians by the dozens. With that kind of advantage, killing some enemy of ours is hardly an accomplishment.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 18, 2011, 09:57 AM

13. Health care reform, ending DADT, killing Bin Laden, getting elected, and the auto bailout.

Unfortunately, his lack of fight and not recognizing the severity of the economic collapse may overshadow those good things that he has done.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 18, 2011, 09:58 AM

14. Health Care Reform that a strong majority of Americans favor repealing...

DADT repeal which was achieved by Congress.

Bin Laden was not captured--he was executed (by Seal Team Six).

We are not out of Iraq.

Reply to this post

Response to Bogart (Reply #14)

Sun Dec 18, 2011, 10:16 AM

22. Sour grapes?

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 18, 2011, 10:07 AM

16. 1. Driving the GOP insane

I put that one first because for the last 30 years, the GOP has been trying to dismantle our government, oppress minorities of all types (gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religious), end social security and medicare and all other social programs, end public education, and control the economy via control of energy resources, military power, and financial manipulation.

With his election ... and during his first term, the GOP has gone totally nuts, and in my view, it is now imploding. And Obama's first term, collectively, is driving it. And after he wins a second term, and the economy continues to improve, and it will, the GOP's collapse will continue.

2. Stopping the economic collapse, via stimulus and auto industry bailout. If he doesn't get that done, he gets nothing else done.

3. HCR. This legislation is not perfect as some lament. But it was never going to be perfect. There is a reason that no prior President had been able to make any progress here in decades. This legislation create the framework for what should come next.

4. Out of Iraq.

5. DADT

6. OBL.

7. Financial reform.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 18, 2011, 10:13 AM

18. Domestically - health care and DADT; Internationally - getting bin Laden.

The first two still works in progress, but big accomplishments that will stand the test of time, imo. Getting bin Laden, the symbolic and operational head of al Qaeda, an accomplishment that benefited much of the world.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 18, 2011, 10:14 AM

19. Actually getting preexisting condition limitations

out of insurance and DADT. I would have preferred of course single payer but that which I mentioned was an accomplishment given how many politicians don't give into anything corporations do not want. The Iraq thing was extablished by treaty I think.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 18, 2011, 10:14 AM

20. Well from the point of view of the corporate aristocracy

extending the bush tax give away, during wartime, to the ultra rich was a really great accomplishment.

Think of it from their side. Here was a supposedly Democratic President, trying to close out 1 or 2 wars, (we all know the costs of moving), with a huge economic crash on his hands, who had already bailed out the ultra wealthy once with the TARP program he voted for as Senator, (all the while his appointed Fed Chairman was funneling even more interest free loans to a few special friends and foreign banks,) whose own party base was fiercely opposed to continued rescue of the ultra rich at the expense of the rest of the country, who had already frozen middle class federal worker's pay and cut heating oil programs for the elderly. Here he was faced with all these road blocks and a lame duck congress that was mostly Democratic, and all he and Congress had to do to stop the give-away was nothing, yet he managed to continue the George W. Bush tax give-away to the ultra wealthy despite it all.

It was just truly amazing that he was able to continue those tax-giveaways considering everything that was already in place to stop it. Itís just amazing.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 18, 2011, 10:30 AM

23. Health care reform.

It may not go far enough. It may not be single payer. It is FAR from perfect. But, it is way more than any other President, including FDR, has been able to accomplish on this matter.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 18, 2011, 10:41 AM

24. Giving to the 1%, 99% of their demands.....

....while still fooling average Democrats into thinking he is on their side.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 18, 2011, 01:36 PM

26. Closing GITMO.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread