HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Have you ever had an eeri...

Sun Aug 25, 2013, 12:48 PM

Have you ever had an eerie feeling, and something unexpected happens?

I had one last night. I just had a strange feeling, like an omen, like something bad might happen, and couldn't understand it. I was walking to the store, late at night, through a neighborhood I have been through many times before, (this is not a bad neighborhood, it is quiet, its not wealthy, but its not a place where you would expect trouble, just very quiet) and a car was on the side of the road next to a house. The lights were on, and it was just sitting there. I was on the other side of the street, and thought it was a little strange, how they weren't going, because all the time I was watching the car, it wasn't moving, but with headlights on. Anyway, so I continued on my merry way, not thinking much of it, and then I saw the headlight glare of the car seem to be following, very slowly, behind me. So you understand, the car was not going at a normal rate of speed, but kind of inching along. It was far behind me at this point, but you know how headlights can really light up a dark street. So then I started thinking this was weird, but as I now was at a main street, which is busy, I had to concentrate to cross it. (Even at night this street is busy, and there is not a street light there, so I have to cross the street at an opportune time, when it is clear)

So anyway, I crossed the street, and then I looked behind me, and the car behind me had sped up, and was now at the intersection where I had just crossed. BY this time I was one block away, and was kind of stunned at all this. I hesitated, and the car roared across the street, and didn't turn, which you would normally expect, because it is a main street, but kept going to where I was, on another side street. Well, now you can imagine that this has me not only puzzled but stunned, and surprised. I stood there, and the car stopped right where I was at. I looked in the window, and saw a couple of young-ish guys in the car. They sat there, in the car, looking at me. It was weird. I then turned away from them, and thinking I don't understand this, but I will alter my course to get away from them.

The car then drove off around a corner. I made a detour on a different street, and just thinking to myself what the heck was that all about. About 2 minutes later, the car returned. They had doubled back, and this time they pulled up right next to me. I will admit I was shaken up at this point. I didn't know if they might pull a gun on me or what. I had my phone ready in my pocket at this point. The young guy looked at me, and said "What are you doing around here?" in a stern and intimidating type voice. I said, "Just going to the store" My voice was even, I didn't show any fright to them, or weakness. He replied, "to the store, huh?" I then said, in a more aggressive voice, "Yes, and I'm about to call the cops too". Once again, I made sure to show them I was not scared, (even though I really was inside) and kept a firm tone. And that was it. They then left and drve off. And I didn't see them again. Maybe my threats of calling the cops scared them off, or my standing my ground. I don't know. And I have no idea if they were just two young punks out on a Saturday night to harass people, or what, but it was a bizarre incident.

32 replies, 2073 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 32 replies Author Time Post
Reply Have you ever had an eerie feeling, and something unexpected happens? (Original post)
quinnox Aug 2013 OP
PDJane Aug 2013 #1
loli phabay Aug 2013 #2
enlightenment Aug 2013 #5
quinnox Aug 2013 #6
PotatoChip Aug 2013 #10
loli phabay Aug 2013 #21
COLGATE4 Aug 2013 #23
loli phabay Aug 2013 #25
Lint Head Aug 2013 #3
quinnox Aug 2013 #7
Lint Head Aug 2013 #9
quinnox Aug 2013 #13
Lint Head Aug 2013 #30
Xipe Totec Aug 2013 #4
quinnox Aug 2013 #8
spin Aug 2013 #20
elehhhhna Aug 2013 #15
pipi_k Aug 2013 #18
elehhhhna Aug 2013 #19
CrispyQ Aug 2013 #11
quinnox Aug 2013 #12
CrispyQ Aug 2013 #16
quinnox Aug 2013 #17
MADem Aug 2013 #29
Hekate Aug 2013 #27
bhikkhu Aug 2013 #14
Warren Stupidity Aug 2013 #22
NaturalHigh Aug 2013 #24
HockeyMom Aug 2013 #26
rusty fender Aug 2013 #28
kentuck Aug 2013 #31
TlalocW Aug 2013 #32

Response to quinnox (Original post)

Sun Aug 25, 2013, 12:51 PM

1. Never, ever ignore warnings from your hindbrain.

There is a basic part of your mind, well hidden most of the time, that is looking for danger, sex and food. When it starts wailing about danger, maybe, you should pay attention.

I've learned this the hard way!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sun Aug 25, 2013, 12:51 PM

2. gut feelings ar a survival mechanism, did the car have hub caps?

If not it may have been an unmarked police unit checking you out. Sounds like it was.

Reply to this post

Response to loli phabay (Reply #2)

Sun Aug 25, 2013, 12:58 PM

5. What is the difference

between young punks in a car and undercover cops in a car when the end result to the innocent person in this scenario is the same?

The OP was undoubtedly left frightened and confused. If it was young punks that caused it, that's bad - if it was cops who didn't bother to identify themselves after they had determined that the OP was not up to something nefarious, that's actually worse.

The role of the police is to serve and protect - not terrorize the populace. At least it used to be.

Reply to this post

Sun Aug 25, 2013, 12:58 PM

6. I doubt it, this was a nice sports like type car

These were two kids in there, maybe 19 years old I would say.

Reply to this post

Sun Aug 25, 2013, 01:08 PM

10. Why would an unmarked police car have no hubcaps?

What would be the purpose of that? Just curious.

Reply to this post

Response to PotatoChip (Reply #10)

Sun Aug 25, 2013, 02:17 PM

21. its cheaper, its a quirk the world over it seems.

Reply to this post

Response to PotatoChip (Reply #10)

Sun Aug 25, 2013, 03:36 PM

23. The police car sold to cops has a number of

differences from the standard sedan of the same make. One that's typical is the hubcap-less (steel) wheels. Another (particularly in the Ford Crown Vics) is the black plastic grill instead of the chrome version. Other difference is the presence of a spotlight behind the driver's side mirror, some antennae on the roof or trunk. But the easiest 'tell' is the hubcapless wheel.

Reply to this post

Response to COLGATE4 (Reply #23)

Sun Aug 25, 2013, 03:58 PM

25. bigger breaks as well, but good post.

Reply to this post

Sun Aug 25, 2013, 12:55 PM

3. Maybe they were a self ascribed neighborhood watch. You weren't wearing a hoody were you?

Reply to this post

Response to Lint Head (Reply #3)

Sun Aug 25, 2013, 12:59 PM

7. No, and I'm a white guy

I had a hat on, and carrying a bag, but who knows if that might have looked suspicious to them.

Reply to this post

Response to quinnox (Reply #7)

Sun Aug 25, 2013, 01:07 PM

9. I've had things like that happen to me. It was always odd because there was no rhyme or reason to it

Hearing about the Australian athlete who was shot by the teenagers who were just bored makes one think.

Reply to this post

Response to Lint Head (Reply #9)

Sun Aug 25, 2013, 01:13 PM

13. yep, like I said, it was an odd feeling

I will even elaborate a bit, and admit that I can be superstitious. I had this bad feeling before I left my house to go to the store, and I deliberately took a good luck charm with me. LOL, it is true. Maybe it helped!

Reply to this post

Response to quinnox (Reply #13)

Sun Aug 25, 2013, 05:04 PM

30. Could have. As fellow human beings just trying to get along we all have our needs and feelings.

I think intuition is something one has innately. Just like fear, love, hate and desire. Also chance and odds play a part. Having a talisman or good luck charm can give one confidence at times. I know there are things that I do that would be considered 'for good luck' when I have certain feelings.

Reply to this post

Sun Aug 25, 2013, 12:57 PM

4. Yea, I once felt the hackles on my neck rise and tingle

Then KABOOM!!!!! Lightning struck less than 50 feet in front of me.

Most unexpected thing that's ever happened to me.

Reply to this post

Response to Xipe Totec (Reply #4)

Sun Aug 25, 2013, 01:00 PM

8. wow, that is strange

Reply to this post

Response to quinnox (Reply #8)

Sun Aug 25, 2013, 02:01 PM

20. Not if you live in the Tampa Bay Area of Florida. (n/t)

Reply to this post

Response to Xipe Totec (Reply #4)

Sun Aug 25, 2013, 01:17 PM

15. not psychol/psychic but physiological

response right before lightning arcs. also makes your jewelry buzz, btw.

psa: If you are outdoors and your hair stands up and or jewelry vibrates, get on all 4's and ground your ass because BOOM, bzzt, ouch.

Reply to this post

Response to elehhhhna (Reply #15)

Sun Aug 25, 2013, 01:38 PM

18. Something I just found out

about why my two dogs can sense a thunderstorm from more than 25 miles away. And how they can tell the difference between a regular rainstorm and storms with thunder and lightning before they even hit...

The physiological changes in their fur...i.e. the effects of static electricity that we humans can't even feel.

If it's a regular garden variety rain, they won't care.

If it involves thunder and lightning, they get very agitated and restless. If I check the doppler radar for my area, I will see that yes...there is an electrical storm within 30 miles.

Animals are awesome.

Reply to this post

Response to pipi_k (Reply #18)

Sun Aug 25, 2013, 01:55 PM

19. a friend just made a thundershirt using a

tight tee tied at the "waist" for her dogs. It works.

been there. now we have a dog that cares not a whit for thunder.

Reply to this post

Sun Aug 25, 2013, 01:08 PM

11. Is it possible they were checking to see if you were a woman?

On three occasions I have had a "get the fuck out of here now" feeling & I have always listened. On one occasion I was accused of being stuck up, but I didn't care. I grabbed my coat & left.

Reply to this post

Response to CrispyQ (Reply #11)

Sun Aug 25, 2013, 01:11 PM

12. lol, no I'm afraid not.

I am a middle aged guy, and have a "gut". It is pretty noticeable. I'm thinking maybe I looked like "easy pickins" to them, or maybe, "That guy looks like we can fuck with him!" or something like that.

Reply to this post

Response to quinnox (Reply #12)

Sun Aug 25, 2013, 01:18 PM

16. Male or female, it's pretty scary, especially after the recent stories of 'bored' teens.

Glad it turned out ok.

Reply to this post

Response to CrispyQ (Reply #16)

Sun Aug 25, 2013, 01:25 PM

17. thanks, yea

it was a bit scary, I must admit.

Reply to this post

Response to quinnox (Reply #12)

Sun Aug 25, 2013, 04:44 PM

29. The car was stolen, and they needed money for gas. They thought you might have some $$ on you.

They thought they could jump you and grab your shit, and maybe they thought better of it once they saw you up close...?

Reply to this post

Response to CrispyQ (Reply #11)

Sun Aug 25, 2013, 04:32 PM

27. I was just about to say: "Think like a woman and go to the nearest open store."

NOT an insult to anyone's manhood -- just if your hackles have gone up that far, safety first.

I had a car slowly follow me once when I was out walking late (college age, obviously female) and I finally took a sharp turn into someone's yard and headed for the front door. I was hoping they'd think I lived there, but for whatever reason they decided to keep on driving.

Late at night in my much older years a car took my freeway exit behind me (normal), same left turn at the intersection (normal), and then -- same as the OP, suddenly it didn't feel normal. I couldn't tell what kind of car it was, but I kept to exactly the speed limit (was it a cop? did I do something funky on the freeway? was it a coincidence? or, was it an evildoer?), entered my tract and kept going past all the usual streets with this car close behind me. I turned in at my street with a plan: if this car was still on my tail when I got to my own house, I was going to keep going because the Highway Patrol substation was only a mile or so away. Slowed down significantly several houses away, and they finally sped up and went past to the end of the street, where they turned. No way of knowing what was in their minds, but they did not live on my street. Only when they disappeared did I pull forward to my own house.

I'm not big on my own intuition, though I certainly believe in other people's. But every so often the radar pings loud and clear.

Reply to this post

Sun Aug 25, 2013, 01:17 PM

14. I'm glad you're safe, but I know what you mean

I've always loved walking, often after dark, and I've had a few encounters over the years. If I think too much about stuff like that I would probably just not go out, but it really does come down to the random unexplainable. "People are strange sometimes" is the best explanation, and if you found a tactic that leads to no harm being done to anyone, that's a good result.

Reply to this post

Sun Aug 25, 2013, 02:26 PM

22. Have you ever had an eerie feeling and then nothing happened?

It is called observational bias. It is why the umpire is always picking on your team.

Reply to this post

Sun Aug 25, 2013, 03:39 PM

24. Glad you're okay. It could have been much worse.

Yes, I think your gut feeling that they were up to no good was correct.

Reply to this post

Sun Aug 25, 2013, 04:21 PM

26. Too many,

including major events in US history. However, this might more be a topic for Religion and Spirituality.

Reply to this post

Sun Aug 25, 2013, 04:36 PM

28. Yes. And each time I had that feeling, someone close to me died

The last one was 2002. I was on my way to Vegas for the week. I didn't have a cell phone then and had to rely on pay phones. The feeling I had was that my Dad had been in a car accident. I kept calling him, but got no answer. My sister had my room # so she could call me if something happened.

When I returned home from Vegas I saw my Dad and he was ok. I was relieved to say the least.

The day after I returned he was killed in a car crash.

Reply to this post

Sun Aug 25, 2013, 05:18 PM

31. Bad Moon Rising

Reply to this post

Sun Aug 25, 2013, 05:42 PM

32. To answer your question, yes

I have had eerie feelings and then something unexpected happened...

I've also had eerie feelings, and nothing happened. As well as normal feelings, and something unexpected happened.

You'll remember the eerie/unexpected stuff the most because your brain is always trying to make connections between different events even if they're not related.

You'll remember the normal/unexpected stuff as well because, hey, you were probably surprised.

You'll easily forget the eerie feeling/nothing stuff because there's no connection to be made that makes you think, "Hey, I'm psychic!"

TlalocW

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread