HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » EAA Founder Paul Poberezn...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Aug 22, 2013, 07:36 PM

EAA Founder Paul Poberezny dead at 91

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/EAA-Founder-Paul-Poberezny-Dies-At-91220479-1.html

Paul Poberezny, who founded EAA in 1953 and served as the organization's leader for many years, died on Thursday morning, EAA has announced. He was 91 and living in a retirement village in Oshkosh, Wis. The Poberezny family released a statement: "We deeply appreciate all the support shown to Paul and Audrey over the past five months. As Paul often said, he considers himself a millionaire because through aviation he made a million friends. He leaves an unmatched legacy in aviation and can be best remembered by all the people who discovered aviation through his inspiration to create EAA. We also thank you for respecting our family’s privacy during this time."

Poberezny served as a military pilot and test pilot for nearly 30 years, during both World War II and the Korean Conflict, retiring with the rank of lieutenant colonel. As a youngster, he built model airplanes and at age 16, taught himself to fly in a battered Waco glider he had restored himself. He logged more than 30,000 hours of flight time over more than 70 years of flying, and flew nearly 500 different types of aircraft, including more than 170 amateur-built airplanes. His memoir of his early years, titled Poberezny … The Story Begins, was published in 1996.

Cross gently, Paul and thank you for the many years of joy at Sun n Fun Oshkosh!!!

4 replies, 495 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply EAA Founder Paul Poberezny dead at 91 (Original post)
Cooley Hurd Aug 2013 OP
TBF Aug 2013 #1
Cooley Hurd Aug 2013 #2
Liberal_in_LA Aug 2013 #3
cloudbase Aug 2013 #4

Response to Cooley Hurd (Original post)

Thu Aug 22, 2013, 07:40 PM

1. Oshkosh is close to where I grew up -

that airshow is such a big deal every year. My niece was a volunteer at it this year

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to TBF (Reply #1)

Thu Aug 22, 2013, 07:43 PM

2. A great show! I flew in one year...

...and it was unnerving to land parallel to another aircraft on the same runway!

Reply to this post

Response to Cooley Hurd (Original post)

Thu Aug 22, 2013, 08:29 PM

3. EAA?

Reply to this post

Response to Liberal_in_LA (Reply #3)

Thu Aug 22, 2013, 08:49 PM

4. Experimental Aircraft Association

Reply to this post