HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Embryos are not babies
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Feb 20, 2012, 09:59 AM

Embryos are not babies

MARIA OF CROOKED TIMBER: THINGS SHE HAS LEARNED FROM IVF

I’m going to share some observations as I near the end of my third round of IVF.

Embryos are not babies: You might think someone so eager to have children as to undergo months of difficult and expensive treatment would have a hard-core view on embryos and babies. You’d be right. Twice now, I’ve had two embryos placed in my uterus. I have pictures of the precise moment they were ‘put back’. None of them stuck. The fact is, most don’t. Despite what we went through to create these embryos, I am left with the cold conviction that they were opening gambits, and no more. Certainly, I would have loved them if they’d turned into babies and mourned them if I’d lost them farther along, and I was very, very sad to not get pregnant. But I felt as if the embryos were simply sets of ultimately flawed operating instructions that de-compiled within hours or days. Most embryos are only that. They may succeed, or they may not. They may be carried to term, or they may not. Human agency may intervene in any of these moments, or it may not. This makes me a bad Catholic, but I find it strangely comforting nonetheless. I believe more firmly now that an embryo is a step along the way to becoming a human, but it’s not a human. It’s a possibility….

Trans-vaginal ultrasounds are really quite invasive: This is a live issue in the US, where legislators are trying to force women who want abortions to undergo ‘just an ultrasound’ to see their babies…. Religious conservatives can’t seem to conceive that a woman can understand her pregnancy is real and still choose to end it…. I have them two or three times a week. It was a big deal for me when I started as it’s basically a dildo with a camera in it, wrapped in a condom, smeared with very cold lubricant, pushing quite hard against the cervix…. I want to have these scans. They are getting me somewhere I want to be, and they are administered by professionals I know and trust…. I believe this invasive scan being forced on pregnant women seeking an abortion would be a violation of their bodies….

more insightful, intelligent logic Here:
http://crookedtimber.org/2012/02/18/things-i-have-learnt-from-and-about-ivf/

7 replies, 1045 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply Embryos are not babies (Original post)
kpete Feb 2012 OP
d_r Feb 2012 #1
uppityperson Feb 2012 #2
d_r Feb 2012 #7
cbdo2007 Feb 2012 #3
Bigmack Feb 2012 #4
2ndAmForComputers Feb 2012 #5
Major Nikon Feb 2012 #6

Response to kpete (Original post)

Mon Feb 20, 2012, 12:12 PM

1. zygote not embryo

by definition

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to d_r (Reply #1)

Mon Feb 20, 2012, 12:45 PM

2. since they are talking "moment of conception", that is true.

After a bit, it becomes an embryo but they are not talking embryos but zygotes.

Reply to this post

Response to uppityperson (Reply #2)

Mon Feb 20, 2012, 02:18 PM

7. yes you are right -

she is talking about between conception and implantation; by definition that is a zygote - it is an embryo after implantation in the uterus.

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 20, 2012, 02:04 PM

3. I bet she would think a little differently if they had "stuck".

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 20, 2012, 02:06 PM

4. Guys who have had a rectal (prostate) ultrasound know about it!... nt

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 20, 2012, 02:07 PM

5. Up ye go

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 20, 2012, 02:12 PM

6. Personally I don't care to debate with those who are anti-choice over what a baby is or isn't

The real issue is that women have a constitutional right to an abortion. What the American Taliban are trying to do is subvert the Constitution. It's as simple as that. If they think abortion is wrong, let them pursue a constitutional amendment which prohibits it. They know they would have no chance in that regard so they use what are essentially terrorist tactics.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread