HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Aide to man with Down syn...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Jul 16, 2013, 10:23 AM

Aide to man with Down syndrome who died in theater had warned police not to touch

By Theresa Vargas, Published: July 15 E-mail the writer
Moments before off-duty Frederick County sheriff’s deputies tried to force a young man with Down syndrome out of a movie theater — a move that eventually led to his death — Robert Ethan Saylor’s 18-year-old aide warned them that he would “freak out” if they touched him.

“Next thing I know, there are I think three or four cops holding Ethan, trying to put him in handcuffs,” the aide told authorities, according to documents from the Frederick County Sheriff’s Department obtained Monday by the Associated Press. “I heard Ethan screaming, saying ‘ouch,’ ‘don’t touch me,’ ‘get off’ and crying. Next thing I hear is nothing.”

The aide’s statement about what happened the day Saylor died is among a package of documents released to the Saylor family’s attorney and the Associated Press by the sheriff’s department detailing its criminal investigation. The 98-page incident report and handwritten statements from 22 witnesses provide the most detailed account yet of how Saylor, 26, went from wanting to watch a movie he liked twice to dead from asphyxiation within minutes.

“I don’t understand why it has taken this long to produce,” Joseph Espo, an attorney for the family, said of the report Monday night. “We’re happy that we finally have it.”

more
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/aide-to-man-with-down-syndrome-who-died-in-theater-had-warned-police-report-says/2013/07/15/1243b7b8-ed95-11e2-bed3-b9b6fe264871_story.html

We have become a nation where the real terrorists are the 'lawful' ones. One mistake in front of them and you are in jail, wounded or dead.

21 replies, 2627 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 21 replies Author Time Post
Reply Aide to man with Down syndrome who died in theater had warned police not to touch (Original post)
n2doc Jul 2013 OP
NOLALady Jul 2013 #1
Cal Carpenter Jul 2013 #2
Maraya1969 Jul 2013 #3
Yo_Mama Jul 2013 #8
Maraya1969 Jul 2013 #15
Yo_Mama Jul 2013 #16
jwirr Jul 2013 #4
n2doc Jul 2013 #5
jwirr Jul 2013 #6
dickthegrouch Jul 2013 #7
ms liberty Jul 2013 #9
firenewt Jul 2013 #10
sulphurdunn Jul 2013 #11
Beaverhausen Jul 2013 #12
heaven05 Jul 2013 #13
Rex Jul 2013 #14
Fantastic Anarchist Jul 2013 #17
Enthusiast Jul 2013 #18
RedCappedBandit Jul 2013 #19
Shankapotomus Jul 2013 #20
hootinholler Jul 2013 #21

Response to n2doc (Original post)

Tue Jul 16, 2013, 10:35 AM

1. But,

"but the deputies did nothing wrong.”

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Jul 16, 2013, 10:37 AM

2. Heartbreaking

Oh god, that makes me sick.

My heart goes out to that family and to the 18 yr old aide who was trying to deal with the situation.

Cruel. Absolutely, indefensibly cruel.

Reply to this post

Tue Jul 16, 2013, 11:00 AM

3. "The deuputies did nothing wrong" Maybe they took over a situation that was an obvious a call for

medical people. If someone is having a heart attack you don't handcuff him because he can't friggin move to get out of the movie theater. This is the same, a poor young man was in the midst of not being able to comprehend and he is shackled and killed.

Reply to this post

Response to Maraya1969 (Reply #3)

Tue Jul 16, 2013, 11:59 AM

8. He wasn't having a heart attack

He had had a temper fit earlier. The aide went for the car. When she returned, he had gone back into the theater because he wanted to see the film again. But he hadn't paid for a ticket, and I guess these guys were called to remove him (I think the aide was supposed to take him home, not to allow him to see the film again). The security guys (off-duty cops) were called, and the poor guy got agitated and cussed at least one of them out. Then they jumped him to physically remove him from the theater.
As the deputies tried to restrain and lead Saylor from the theater, the four fell in a heap on a slightly inclined ramp and, during a struggle, the deputies placed three sets of handcuffs on him. When Saylor suddenly grew quiet and unresponsive, the deputies removed the handcuffs and administered CPR.

The Chief Medical Examiner’s Office in Baltimore ruled Saylor’s death a homicide as a result of asphyxia. There was unexplained damage to his larynx.

A lot of Downs Syndrome persons have accompanying heart defects, and the stress and confusion of being confronted and physically manhandled could have induced a heart attack. But the article also notes damage to the larynx, so ten to one these cops who were working security used a choke hold to subdue this very big and very agitated guy.

Reply to this post

Response to Yo_Mama (Reply #8)

Tue Jul 16, 2013, 05:49 PM

15. I know that people with Downs Syndrom often have bad hearts. If someone were having a psychotic

break you'd expect the police to call an ambulance and not just rough house him over.

Reply to this post

Response to Maraya1969 (Reply #15)

Tue Jul 16, 2013, 06:03 PM

16. Unfortunately that doesn't happen all the time, or nearly enough

And an out-of-control psychotic will get roughly physically subdued.

It's just that in this case, there wasn't that danger. It was more being disruptive in a somewhat innocuous way in a movie theater.

Horrible story.

Reply to this post

Tue Jul 16, 2013, 11:04 AM

4. Did this young man have any outward signs of downs? Did they not recognize that they were dealing

with someone with downs? This is unexcusable. Once again we read about a minority that is considered criminal because they are different. The USA is indeed becoming an unsafe nation. Imagine if this is how we treat our citizens at home what we are doing when we are overseas.

Reply to this post

Response to jwirr (Reply #4)

Tue Jul 16, 2013, 11:11 AM

5. Look at the pic at the link

And judge for yourself.

Reply to this post

Response to n2doc (Reply #5)

Tue Jul 16, 2013, 11:14 AM

6. Did nothing wrong my ass!

Reply to this post

Tue Jul 16, 2013, 11:49 AM

7. Perhaps what went wrong

was the the aide's language. All too understandable for someone so young, but possibly not helpful to the police.

I do not condone the police action and I don't want the aide to blame herself any more than she probably already does.

Describing the situation much more factually, such as "He has down's syndrome and will not react well to being touched. Have you seen the TV show "Touch"? Well this guy is like that. Please have medical personnel respond".

The thugs (cops) may have paid no more attention, but it would have been described in terms they might have understood.

IMHO caregivers need to be taught how to handle hopped-up cops in situations that might better be resolved by medical intervention.

Reply to this post

Response to dickthegrouch (Reply #7)

Tue Jul 16, 2013, 12:55 PM

9. go to the link and look at his picture...

There is no way they could have missed that he was a person with downs syndrome.

Reply to this post

Response to ms liberty (Reply #9)

Tue Jul 16, 2013, 01:09 PM

10. Fucking cops don't care. All they are concerned with is finding an excuse to exert their

'authority' on the 'civilians'. I'm 60 and remember respecting cops. No more ...................

Reply to this post

Tue Jul 16, 2013, 01:24 PM

11. It seems as though

violence has become the first resort of many police departments.

Reply to this post

Tue Jul 16, 2013, 01:28 PM

12. Why didn't the aide take him out to the car?

Not in any way excusing the cops but why leave him alone?

Reply to this post

Tue Jul 16, 2013, 04:32 PM

13. very sad

and enraging.

Reply to this post

Tue Jul 16, 2013, 04:35 PM

14. This must stop, cops are not allowed to kill people

with their 'good intentions'. Evidently, only George Zimmerman is allowed to do that.

Reply to this post

Tue Jul 16, 2013, 10:15 PM

17. This could have happened to my sister.

I'm fuming right now.

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 17, 2013, 06:38 AM

18. Cruel and intolerant is the new normal in this nation.

Fucking Fascists bastards!

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 17, 2013, 06:45 AM

19. Idiot cops need to fuck off when it comes to these situations.

I am a direct care worker with disabled adults. I sure have stories. Police are not prepared to deal with these individuals.

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 17, 2013, 07:00 AM

20. Isn't there an intelligence

requirement to be a cop? You think that people who are trusted to wield force over the population would have to be really smart.

But no, they are ex-bouncers and even in some cases ex-criminals. Muscles without brains is not going to keep anybody safe.

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 17, 2013, 08:50 AM

21. This is the same police dept who killed a deaf guy by tasering him

He did not respond to verbal commands, bystanders were shouting He's deaf! Deputy tasered him, twice.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread