HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » What not to do while on a...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Dec 9, 2011, 11:09 PM

What not to do while on a flight...chew through restraints...gotta be a first!

Fired RIM execs 'chewed through restraints' on flight

New details are emerging about the rowdy behaviour of two Research In Motion executives who were fired for disrupting an intercontinental flight including that they managed to chew their way out of restraints after being handcuffed by crew members.

George Campbell, 45, and Paul Alexander Wilson, 38, each pleaded guilty to mischief for disrupting a Nov. 30 flight from Toronto to Beijing.

snip

The pilots, believing they could not make the trip to Beijing for security reasons, decided to divert the plane to Anchorage. As the situation continued to escalate they changed course again and headed for the Vancouver airport, which was closer.

During the final 80 minutes of the flight, "several flight attendants and a couple of passengers" restrained the two men and the crew initiated a "lockdown situation" so that no one was allowed to leave their seats.

more

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2011/12/09/rim-execs-flight.html

This has got to be a first....chewing through restraints after being handcuffed by crew members...geez! These assholes cost one company a big contract because their representative missed the deadline due to the flight having to divert.

9 replies, 1782 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 9 replies Author Time Post
Reply What not to do while on a flight...chew through restraints...gotta be a first! (Original post)
Spazito Dec 2011 OP
saras Dec 2011 #1
freshwest Dec 2011 #2
gkhouston Dec 2011 #5
Warren DeMontague Dec 2011 #7
Lone_Star_Dem Dec 2011 #3
1monster Dec 2011 #4
lunatica Dec 2011 #6
nadinbrzezinski Dec 2011 #8
onethatcares Dec 2011 #9

Response to Spazito (Original post)

Fri Dec 9, 2011, 11:33 PM

1. Chewed through their restraints? Train 'em as lawyers!

I'm sorry, that's just too damned funny to get upset about.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Dec 9, 2011, 11:49 PM

2. The *executives* did this? Bwahaha! Goes to show being super rich doesn't make you sane.

And the 'chewing through restraints' part is pure gold... Were they trying to show what rough, tough competitors they were?

Excuse me while I die laughing here...

Or is this just a plot of someone trying to get their jobs by making them appear feral?

Reply to this post

Response to freshwest (Reply #2)

Sat Dec 10, 2011, 02:15 PM

5. Someone should have told them that "business class" doesn't mean "funny business".

Reply to this post

Response to freshwest (Reply #2)

Sat Dec 10, 2011, 04:07 PM

7. No, I actually suspect that was part of the problem. They're used to telling other people what to do

but not being used to taking orders from low-paid peons, like flight attendants or pilots. Ad copious amounts of alcohol and low air pressure, and stir.

Whoops.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 9, 2011, 11:53 PM

3. Wow.

The way they were acting is insane! It says, "Campbell also lay belly-down in the aisle during the ordeal, and began kicking the floor." OK. Nothing odd about an adult man throwing a tantrum like an irate 2-year-old.

I'm thinking maybe it wasn't in the best interest of the flight for them to have continued to serve them alcohol after they boarded if they were already lit when they got on the plane.

Reply to this post

Response to Lone_Star_Dem (Reply #3)

Sat Dec 10, 2011, 12:30 PM

4. Agreed!

The pair seemed heavily intoxicated from the start of the flight, according to one passenger. They drank, passed out, and woke up to continue consuming alcohol and yelling at one another.

I'd say those who continued to serve them alcohol were at least 20% responsible for the fiasco and retraining for all those in charge of serving alcohol might be advisable.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 10, 2011, 02:19 PM

6. They should make this story into a movie

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 10, 2011, 04:11 PM

8. This will make it into a screenplay.

It s golden for comedy value.

Oh and twitter now works.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 06:30 AM

9. now wait one minute,

these guys work(ed) for a company that makes Blackberrys for gaudsake, haven't they ever heard of SKYPE????

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread