HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Can We Stop Worrying Abou...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Jul 11, 2013, 04:11 AM

Can We Stop Worrying About Millenials Yet?

http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/09/opinion/bors-millenial-comic-strip/index.html?hpt=hp_c4

As a Millenial, fucking bravo Mr.Bors.

14 replies, 1800 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 14 replies Author Time Post
Reply Can We Stop Worrying About Millenials Yet? (Original post)
Gravitycollapse Jul 2013 OP
liberal_at_heart Jul 2013 #1
HiPointDem Jul 2013 #2
LuvNewcastle Jul 2013 #3
liberal_at_heart Jul 2013 #4
mattclearing Jul 2013 #5
Egalitarian Thug Jul 2013 #6
Journeyman Jul 2013 #7
liberal_at_heart Jul 2013 #9
Skittles Jul 2013 #8
MADem Jul 2013 #10
KarenS Jul 2013 #11
deancr Jul 2013 #12
LisaLynne Jul 2013 #13
Laelth Jul 2013 #14

Response to Gravitycollapse (Original post)

Thu Jul 11, 2013, 04:16 AM

1. we're not all old farts. Some of us realize that every older generation thinks the new

generation is good for nothing. My parents generation thought my generation was good for nothing. Their parents generation thought their generation was good for nothing. So on and so forth, but we're not all that way.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Jul 11, 2013, 04:22 AM

2. kr

Reply to this post

Thu Jul 11, 2013, 04:26 AM

3. You won't hear me bashing the younger people.

They're much more liberal than older generations and they seem to be willing to work for change. Right now they're our only hope and they deserve our respect and support.

Reply to this post

Response to LuvNewcastle (Reply #3)

Thu Jul 11, 2013, 04:28 AM

4. yes, we will all have to work together to wrestle control away from the 1%.

Reply to this post

Thu Jul 11, 2013, 04:30 AM

5. Awesome. n/t

Reply to this post

Thu Jul 11, 2013, 04:39 AM

6. As an incipient geezer I'd just like to say that I like most of your generation. You're certainly

better than the brain-dead, reagan voting, pseudo-moralistic morons that are most of your parents.

Reply to this post

Thu Jul 11, 2013, 05:03 AM

7. "I see no hope for the future of our people . . .

"I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on the frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words. When I was a boy, we were taught to be discrete and respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly wise and impatient of restraint."
~ Hesiod, Eighth Century B.C.

"The world is passing through troublous times. The young people of today think of nothing but themselves. They have no reverence for parents or old age. They are impatient of all restraint. They talk as if they knew everything, and what passes for wisdom with us is foolishness with them. As for the girls, they are forward, immodest and unladylike in speech, behavior and dress."
~ Peter the Hermit, A.D. 1274

Same ol' same ol'

Reply to this post

Response to Journeyman (Reply #7)

Thu Jul 11, 2013, 05:14 AM

9. makes you wonder if the reason older people always think that way about young people is

because older people have a hard time controlling young people. Older people try to tell young people what to do and the young people don't obey like they are told, so the older generation thinks the younger generation are disrespectful and lazy and not good for anything.

Reply to this post

Thu Jul 11, 2013, 05:04 AM

8. you'll never see me bashing young folk

I bash all people equally

Reply to this post

Thu Jul 11, 2013, 07:01 AM

10. That was hilarious!

Nothing about the smurfish hats the kids wear, with the stripes on them, or the skinny jeans?

Seriously, though, every generation of young people has their overly-earnest, angst ridden sorts who have a tendency to suck up a lot of air in the room and make it easy to sloppily define the entire group.

But people are individuals, and a lot of how a person turns out is down to how they are raised.

You get that shit right, and you end up with good kids.

People criticizing kids because "Everyone gets a trophy" need to ask themselves "Who the hell GAVE those kids those trophies?" After all, the little basstids didn't manufacture them, themselves!

I think maybe the parents of kids exhibiting the narcissistic conduct elucidated in the cartoon might want to look in their OWN mirrors...

Reply to this post

Thu Jul 11, 2013, 07:18 AM

11. This Baby Boomer does NOT bash Millennials.

I worry about you guys ~ not because of who & how you are ~ but because of what you're inheriting.

What a mess things are and it doesn't look like anything's getting any better any time soon.

Besides, you guys will be paying my generation's Social Security and I'm not the type of person that bites the hand that feeds me (I'll be reminding other Baby Boomer's of that when I hear bashing too)
Thank you in advance.

Reply to this post

Thu Jul 11, 2013, 07:25 AM

12. Thank you millenials

It is a source of great comfort that your generation, in large part, has seen through the hate, fear, and intellectual dishonesty that allowed the boomer generation to embrace the poppycock of Reaganism. Now the slowly heated frog of the middle-class has been cooked by 30 years of undermining what the New Deal and collective bargaining built. I never bought that self-indulgent mythology, but many of my contemporaries did at the expense of their own children. It's no consolation, but many of those folks are now looking at a forced retirement with nothing in the larder other than the fanciful "city on a hill." The gipper never mentioned that the city would be a gated community.

Reply to this post

Response to deancr (Reply #12)

Thu Jul 11, 2013, 07:30 AM

13. A gated community ...

with the vast majority on the outside.

Good post!

Reply to this post

Thu Jul 11, 2013, 08:39 AM

14. Excellent. k&r for exposure. n/t

-Laelth

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread