HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » 5 things they don't tell ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Jul 2, 2013, 05:03 AM

5 things they don't tell you about being poor...

Being poor is like a game of poker where if you lose, the other players get to fuck you. And if you win, the dealer fucks you. A bunch of you reading this are among the 45 million ďworking poorĒ in America, and if youíre not, you know somebody who is. Like me.

Or 60 percent of all retired NBA players, according to this site.

Iím not blaming anybody but myself for getting into this situation (I was drunk for two straight decades) and Iím not asking for anybodyís sympathy. What I am saying is that people are quick to tell you to pick yourself up by your bootstraps and just stop being poor. What they donít understand is the series of intricate financial traps that makes that incredibly difficult.

If youíre not poor, thatís awesome. Iím not mad at you, or jealous. Hopefully youíll never find out that Ö

http://www.theburningplatform.com/?p=55931

8 replies, 1490 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply 5 things they don't tell you about being poor... (Original post)
undergroundpanther Jul 2013 OP
Populist_Prole Jul 2013 #1
LuvNewcastle Jul 2013 #2
handmade34 Jul 2013 #6
In_The_Wind Jul 2013 #3
freedom fighter jh Jul 2013 #4
geckosfeet Jul 2013 #5
TransitJohn Jul 2013 #7
Hydra Jul 2013 #8

Response to undergroundpanther (Original post)

Tue Jul 2, 2013, 05:32 AM

1. A shitload of people who think they're middle class are in fact poor

Hell, I grew up poor but never knew it till later. I'm just a tick above poor now, as are my co-workers and peers; though the pundits will noisily disagree because we have indoor plumbing, refrigerators, TV's and computers. I'll clean my clothes by soaking them in a stream and bashing them against a rock to retain plausible validity.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Jul 2, 2013, 06:05 AM

2. Thanks for this.

I know some people who should be held down and forced to read this article.

Reply to this post

Response to LuvNewcastle (Reply #2)

Tue Jul 2, 2013, 07:40 AM

6. maybe

but unless they've been there... most don't get it and are more than happy to critique and offer solutions that may sound good in theory but near impossible in reality...

Reply to this post

Tue Jul 2, 2013, 06:07 AM

3. There are many poor people who have worked all of their life.

One little thing can be the turning point from having money to buy a decent amount of food to being grateful for a bowl of ramen noodle soup.

Reply to this post

Tue Jul 2, 2013, 06:43 AM

4. About bank fees:

#5 is bank fees.

You may be able to avoid punitive fees by moving your money to a credit union. I have not done a fee-by-fee comparison, but having recently moved my money from a bank to a credit union, I do know that while banks are always looking for a way to charge you more fees, credit unions are not. At my credit union, for example, you need to keep a balance of just $5 to avoid fees. I don't know what happens if you slip up there, but I'm guessing the fee won't be so bad as a bank's fee would.

Reply to this post

Response to freedom fighter jh (Reply #4)

Tue Jul 2, 2013, 06:55 AM

5. Absolutely. But all CU's are not created equal. That said they are still your best option.

Check around. Compare different CU's and their services.

My CU offers absolutely free checking. Online banking bill pay, check deposit etc. The number and quality of services amazes me. Plus there are branch offices with great hours which I have had to use on rare occasion.

Reply to this post

Tue Jul 2, 2013, 04:49 PM

8. The comments on the page are horrendous

Amazing how many people think it's easy to get out of the hole.

Even more amazing how many people think it's easy to scam the system for more money than you make working.

:shakes head: The 1% think we're a bunch of gullible idiots. I can't say they're wrong in most cases.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread