HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » State officials seeking $...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Feb 14, 2012, 07:25 AM

State officials seeking $2.85M study to see whether rest areas, Ohio Turnpike could be leased

COLUMBUS, Ohio Ohio officials want to know whether the state's 101 rest stops could be leased to a private operator and how much a potential deal might be worth.

A legislative panel on Monday approved the state's use of $2.85 million in federal research money to pay a consultant to evaluate privatizing the rest areas along interstates and state roadways.

Gov. John Kasich (KAY'-sik) has said leasing rest areas might be a way to address a gap in the transportation budget.
Under the contract with Austin, Texas-based KPMG Corporate Finance LLC, consultants will also explore the idea of leasing the Ohio Turnpike. The 241-mile roadway is funded through tolls and the sale of gas and food at rest stops.

http://www.therepublic.com/view/story/5db2a1f0f4c1454f8ae5dcf82d2fd8bc/OH--Private-Rest-Stops-Ohio/

He not only wants to lease the Turnpike but rest areas on the remaining interstate highways as well. Are we going to have to pay to pee on the road now?

6 replies, 1042 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply State officials seeking $2.85M study to see whether rest areas, Ohio Turnpike could be leased (Original post)
liberal N proud Feb 2012 OP
RKP5637 Feb 2012 #1
RKP5637 Feb 2012 #2
liberal N proud Feb 2012 #3
RKP5637 Feb 2012 #4
MadHound Feb 2012 #5
kemah Feb 2012 #6

Response to liberal N proud (Original post)

Tue Feb 14, 2012, 07:36 AM

1. I guess I'm just not with it, but I've never gotten why a "For Profit" outfit is

supposed to be able to do things cheaper than a break-even public operation.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Feb 14, 2012, 07:38 AM

2. "Are we going to have to pay to pee on the road now?" It'll bring a whole new

meaning to "roadside dumping" IMO. Was that a big bird that just flew over my windshield? Damn!

LOL - Peeing on the road will be free, just using their facilities will cost.

Reply to this post

Response to RKP5637 (Reply #2)

Tue Feb 14, 2012, 07:39 AM

3. Oh my

Reply to this post

Response to liberal N proud (Reply #3)

Tue Feb 14, 2012, 07:45 AM

4. In the auto parts store. "Hi, I need a pair of those new Heavy Duty

windshield wipers, please. Yeah, the ones that say road-tested in Ohio." "Yeah, I'll take a gallon of "Bowl-Cleaner" window washer fluid too.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 14, 2012, 08:16 AM

5. That's a hell of a lot of money to be spent on a "study".

After all, this "study" could be accomplished by any competent accountant with access to records, a calculator, and making a few phone calls.

Somebody is getting some cream skimmed off the top.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 14, 2012, 09:49 AM

6. Study will have a predetermined result

Rick Perry tried the same nonsense in Texas but was quickly voted down. Why give away state property to a for profit corporation?

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread