HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Will The US Be Able To Ex...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Jun 24, 2013, 11:18 AM

Will The US Be Able To Extradite James Clapper From Northern Virginia?

As this NSA surveillance scandal unfolds, people are following Edward Snowden's apparent attempts to evade extradition. However, I think we're losing sight of the other fugitive from justice - James Clapper. After committing the criminal offense of lying to Congress back in March, Clapper vanished into the federally administered tribal areas around Washington, DC. He is thought to be somewhere near McLean, Virginia, and continuing his role as Director of National Intelligence. Will he be caught and brought to justice?

Now legally, it seems like it should be a more straightforward matter for American authorities to seize Clapper. Unlike Ecuador, where Snowden is seeking asylum, Northern Virginia is technically a part of the United States. The same is true of other areas in and around the "Beltway zone" where Clapper could be hiding. These areas have US administrators at the federal and state level - they even use our currency. In fact, since 9/11 American funding has absolutely flooded the local economy there in an effort to buy us influence.

But as with many other US allies, we're not always sure of their loyalties. These are intensely secretive people. Simply put, we don't trust each other. They don't share our values: They don't believe in transparency or accountable governments. It's never been part of their culture, and they resent our attempts to impose our system on them. And the fact that we give them so much money creates a strange cognitive dissonance that makes these people really hard to communicate with. Here you'll find someone whose entire lifestyle is based on getting money from the US Treasury, and he will nonetheless refers to himself, seriously, as "a small-government conservative."

What complicates matters is that, because of the idiosyncratic way they use language, they don't think James Clapper actually lied. One of their local media sites, ABC News, recently posted this article, and I think the title alone tells us what we're dealing with: "Did Intel Dir. James Clapper Lie To Congress? It's Complicated." The basic point of the article is that Clapper found himself faced with a simple question that required him to lie, but he really, really wanted to answer another, more complicated question that would have allowed him to evade the truth without actually lying.
"How is that not lying?" you're asking. "How does that complicate things?" Believe me, when you've lived in this place long enough, you'll get it.

READ THE REST:
http://paulbibeau.blogspot.com/2013/06/will-us-be-able-to-extradite-james.html#.UchicBXD8cA

12 replies, 1042 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 12 replies Author Time Post
Reply Will The US Be Able To Extradite James Clapper From Northern Virginia? (Original post)
paulbibeau Jun 2013 OP
CanonRay Jun 2013 #1
bemildred Jun 2013 #2
telclaven Jun 2013 #3
Scuba Jun 2013 #4
KT2000 Jun 2013 #5
magellan Jun 2013 #6
paulbibeau Jun 2013 #7
daleanime Jun 2013 #11
liberal_at_heart Jun 2013 #8
deurbano Jun 2013 #9
blkmusclmachine Jun 2013 #10
intheflow Jun 2013 #12

Response to paulbibeau (Original post)

Mon Jun 24, 2013, 11:32 AM

1. Good one

There's many on DU losing sight of this in their rush to condem Snowden/defend Obama.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Jun 24, 2013, 11:36 AM

2. Bravo. It is such utter horseshit, is it not? nt

Reply to this post

Mon Jun 24, 2013, 11:47 AM

3. I like what you did there

:}

Reply to this post

Mon Jun 24, 2013, 12:22 PM

4. ...

Reply to this post

Mon Jun 24, 2013, 12:25 PM

5. Ha! Very good!

Reply to this post

Mon Jun 24, 2013, 12:37 PM

6. Brilliant!

You managed to treat this subject in a way that made me laugh rather than cry. For this, I commend you.

Reply to this post

Mon Jun 24, 2013, 12:59 PM

7. You guys are the best. Thanks for reading! nt

Reply to this post

Response to paulbibeau (Reply #7)

Mon Jun 24, 2013, 02:17 PM

11. No, thank you.....

at this point it's hard to write any thing new that doesn't leave me shaking in rage.

Believe me, its appreciated.

Reply to this post

Mon Jun 24, 2013, 01:02 PM

8. Well said!

Reply to this post

Mon Jun 24, 2013, 01:30 PM

9. Thank you!

Reply to this post

Mon Jun 24, 2013, 01:45 PM

10. HA! He's TOO BIG TO JAIL, silly.

Reply to this post

Mon Jun 24, 2013, 11:34 PM

12. Absolutely brilliant.

Very clever and even more astute! Thank you for the laugh - and the insight.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread