HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » "The NSA Has Stopped Or C...

Tue Jun 18, 2013, 01:46 PM

"The NSA Has Stopped Or Covered Up Countless Terrorist Attacks" By James Clapper

In a free country, debate about our policies is crucial. We understand that in the US intelligence community. The American public have the right to question their government and demand answers. But as we discuss NSA surveillance programs, I want to make one thing perfectly clear to you: These efforts are necessary to our security, and they are working. They're the main reason the NSA has managed to stop or cover up countless terrorist attacks in the years since 9/11.

Other law enforcement techniques have played a role, sure. I'm not saying there's no way we would have stopped the second New York subway attack without gathering phone data. Or even have been able to suppress the existence of the first one without Prism. We're pretty determined. But I am telling you it would be difficult. The odds would be greater.

Do you want that? Do you really want to make it more likely that an al-Qaeda operative could successfully kill thousands of people without us stopping him or at least relocating all the witnesses to a facility in Utah? It seems right to stand up for freedom, but you need to think about the real-world choices here. Lives, and also professional reputations, are at stake.
These groups are not going to just go away. They're right here, planning to strike. Especially since last year's invasion of Syria (You'll hear more about it soon, but the short version is that things got out of hand, and now some other groups in that part of the world are feeling grumpy about the US. They particularly dislike port cities -- go figure.)

We have a job to prevent Americans from being injured, killed, or panicked with information by our enemies around the world. We can't do this without every citizen pitching in.

In some cases doing your part is as simple as closing your eyes.

READ THIS, ABOUT THE MONSTER SITTING NEXT TO YOU
http://paulbibeau.blogspot.com/2011/10/hi-there.html#.UcCc-xXD9jo

11 replies, 876 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 11 replies Author Time Post
Reply "The NSA Has Stopped Or Covered Up Countless Terrorist Attacks" By James Clapper (Original post)
paulbibeau Jun 2013 OP
msongs Jun 2013 #1
mike_c Jun 2013 #2
premium Jun 2013 #9
RC Jun 2013 #3
dixiegrrrrl Jun 2013 #8
Life Long Dem Jun 2013 #11
HooptieWagon Jun 2013 #4
bemildred Jun 2013 #5
magellan Jun 2013 #6
paulbibeau Jun 2013 #7
Earth_First Jun 2013 #10

Response to paulbibeau (Original post)

Tue Jun 18, 2013, 01:48 PM

1. so Mr. Clapper, tell us about the wall stree plots against the taxpayers you have foiled nt

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Jun 18, 2013, 01:54 PM

2. never forget-- they lie reflexively....

His lips were moving.

Reply to this post

Response to mike_c (Reply #2)

Tue Jun 18, 2013, 07:20 PM

9. So hard to believe him

when their spokesperson is

Reply to this post

Tue Jun 18, 2013, 01:54 PM

3. Countless attacks?

Countless because there were no real attacks, therefore there's nothing be counted? We're catching on to your double speak.

Reply to this post

Response to RC (Reply #3)

Tue Jun 18, 2013, 07:16 PM

8. I want to hear more how NSA has "covered up" countless attacks..........

Reply to this post

Response to dixiegrrrrl (Reply #8)

Tue Jun 18, 2013, 07:32 PM

11. So don't the terrorists

Reply to this post

Tue Jun 18, 2013, 02:50 PM

4. In another thread, a DUer posted a link...

sorry, don't have it at hand. But the govt is supposed to file annual reports on categories of NSA wiretap purposes. In 2011, the most recent year available, 85% of the wiretaps were for drug-related crimes. The govt refuses to release 2012 figures, I can only speculate its because a sizeable number of wiretaps were of Occupy, Keystone XL protestors axnd the like.
Furthermore, considering the Boston Bomber's presence on social media sites, and that the govt was warned about them by the Russians, you would think wiretapping them and perhaps preventing the Marathon bombings would be a no-brainer. It didn't happen.
Thus, a reasonable person can only conclude that the NSA surveillence program is not being used (nor was it designed to be used) as a terrorism attack prevention tool. Its being used for common crime (like busting pot-smoking cancer grannies), and probably groups protesting government policies. This is a far overreach of the stated purpose of the Patriot Act, is outside the jurisdiction of the FISA Court, and is in violation of the 1st and 4th Amendments. The entire program should be put on hold until adequate measures of oversight axnd transparency are installed.

Reply to this post

Tue Jun 18, 2013, 02:59 PM

5. That's OK, Sir, we are going to fire you now, you can find some other job.

We don't want any more of your "protection".

Reply to this post

Tue Jun 18, 2013, 03:07 PM

6. I'm confused

Should I close my eyes or go shopping? I can do both, but it won't be pretty.

Love this, and the linked "Hi There". Creepy. Well done!

Reply to this post

Response to magellan (Reply #6)

Tue Jun 18, 2013, 03:12 PM

7. Thanks! Glad you liked 'em.

Close your eyes AND go shopping. You'll buy more.

Murika.

Reply to this post

Tue Jun 18, 2013, 07:25 PM

10. So when the FBI sets up a job to encourage 'terrorist' activity...

...and provides the information, the means and inert equipment...

...all this NSA/FBI surveillance is warranted?

Which category of reporting does this scenario fall under...?

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread