HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Michelle Rhee's husband, ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Jun 17, 2013, 03:35 AM

Michelle Rhee's husband, mayor Kevin Johnson, closes 9 schools in Sacramento

Sacramento California, where the school board is elected, joined the neoliberal racist attack real public school serving children who live in poverty with a vote to close nine of the city's real public schools. Last week, a group representing the children who will be affected by the closings filed a lawsuit challenging the school board's decision.

Michelle Rhee married Sacramento Mayor Kevin Johnson in 2011. Johnson's two terms as mayor of Sacramento have been marked by scandal at the charter school he operates ("St. HOPE"), including allegations of sexual misconduct and a financial scandal that resulted in St HOPE repaying nearly a half million dollars to AmeriCorps. Rhee and Johnson devote time to promoting charter schools and denigrating real public schools according to the usual neoliberal scripts. During his second term run for mayor, Johnson received the endorsement of most prominent California Democrats, including Governor Jerry Brown and Senator Diane Feinstein. Money for Johnson's privatization projects began with "seed money" from the Gates Foundation.

The vote of the school board was four to three... All of the same wordings used in the Chicago school closings echoed through Sacramento during the debate. Community opposition to the closings is being led by "Hmong innovating Politics," a local group led by families from the Hmong community. A recent account of a lawsuit challenging the closings was published in PORTSIDE on June 15, 2013:

Sacramento District Ignores Report Suggesting Closing Schools for Affluent White Kids, Instead Shutters Seven Schools Filled with Poor and Minority Kids.

The Sacramento city school district is poised to close seven elementary schools, disproportionately hurting students in low-income and predominantly minority neighborhoods. In response, twelve students and their parents filed a civil rights lawsuit, asking a federal court to block the closures. The suit claims that the Sacramento City Unified District's decision was motivated by an intent to discriminate against the minority populations and will result in "disastrous discriminatory effect on the poor, disadvantaged population which is served by these neighborhood schools slated for closure."

The complaint also notes that in choosing the schools it did for closure, Unified District ignored a report by a closure committee recommending the shuttering of four different schools in older, affluent neighborhoods, each with a 'white' student body in excess of 40 percent of the enrolled students.

http://www.substancenews.net/articles.php?page=4337§ion=Article

The same rationale as used in Chicago: "underutilization". Fake in Chicago, likely fake in Sacramento as well.

17 replies, 3262 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 17 replies Author Time Post
Reply Michelle Rhee's husband, mayor Kevin Johnson, closes 9 schools in Sacramento (Original post)
HiPointDem Jun 2013 OP
ReRe Jun 2013 #1
HiPointDem Jun 2013 #6
ReRe Jun 2013 #9
HiPointDem Jun 2013 #11
ReRe Jun 2013 #14
HiPointDem Jun 2013 #15
LineReply .
blkmusclmachine Jun 2013 #2
msanthrope Jun 2013 #3
n2doc Jun 2013 #4
Enthusiast Jun 2013 #5
ReRe Jun 2013 #7
Enthusiast Jun 2013 #8
xchrom Jun 2013 #10
KamaAina Jun 2013 #12
reformist2 Jun 2013 #16
Starry Messenger Jun 2013 #13
dreamnightwind Jun 2013 #17

Response to HiPointDem (Original post)

Mon Jun 17, 2013, 04:58 AM

1. "What's the Matter with Sacramento?"

... as in "What's the Matter With Kansas?" This privatization of our schools is going to continue until SOMEONE stand up and stops it. How can it be stopped???????

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to ReRe (Reply #1)

Mon Jun 17, 2013, 07:40 AM

6. apparently fraud, theft & child molestation are no bar.

Reply to this post

Response to HiPointDem (Reply #6)

Mon Jun 17, 2013, 09:32 AM

9. Clearly....

.... I've heard too many bad stories coming out of those privatized schools. Especially in Florida. Wonder where member madfloridian is? Haven't seen her in a while...

Reply to this post

Response to ReRe (Reply #9)

Mon Jun 17, 2013, 01:54 PM

11. her husband died recently.

Reply to this post

Response to HiPointDem (Reply #11)

Mon Jun 17, 2013, 09:13 PM

14. I'm so sorrry...

... I miss her so much. Hope she is doing OK after such a loss. Let's pray for madfloridian tonight.

Reply to this post

Response to ReRe (Reply #14)

Mon Jun 17, 2013, 10:27 PM

15. here's the thread if you'd like to leave condolences or pm her.

Reply to this post

Mon Jun 17, 2013, 05:25 AM

2. .

Reply to this post

Mon Jun 17, 2013, 06:01 AM

3. Hopefully the parent-trigger lawsuit that worked in LA will work in Sacramento.

Of course, and this should ring a Bell, some people didn't like that type of lawsuit, but no hypocrisy should be surprising....

http://journals.democraticunderground.com/msanthrope

Reply to this post

Mon Jun 17, 2013, 07:21 AM

4. Hey, they gotta pay for that new arena for the Kings!

Money doesn't grow on trees you know. Basketball (even a really shitty team) is a top priority and Sacramento just won the battle to keep the Kings there. Now the piper has to be paid.

Reply to this post

Response to n2doc (Reply #4)

Mon Jun 17, 2013, 07:32 AM

5. That tells us the reality right there.

It's the priorities. Our elected "representatives" at every level and in every position have failed us utterly.

Reply to this post

Response to Enthusiast (Reply #5)

Mon Jun 17, 2013, 07:47 AM

7. Truly...

... everything is breaking down. Not just the bridges.

Reply to this post

Response to ReRe (Reply #7)

Mon Jun 17, 2013, 08:59 AM

8. I am 60 years old and I have never had less faith

in the government or institutions than I have now.

It's clear the main problem is corporate influence in the media, campaigns, elections, legislation and decision making.

Apparently, those holding office want to keep things the way they are.

Reply to this post

Mon Jun 17, 2013, 09:35 AM

10. du rec.

Reply to this post

Mon Jun 17, 2013, 02:29 PM

12. The mayor operates a charter school?!

Got conflict of interest?

Reply to this post

Response to KamaAina (Reply #12)

Mon Jun 17, 2013, 10:29 PM

16. I'd say. Pretty sick how they're essentially forcing them into the charter schools now.

Reply to this post

Mon Jun 17, 2013, 02:43 PM

13. k&r

Reply to this post

Tue Jun 18, 2013, 01:03 AM

17. Sac's previous mayor was a good Democrat

I lived there for a couple of years. It's more conservative than the coastal side of the state (where I live now, and which I much prefer), but even so, the incumbent mayor that Kevin Johnson defeated for his first term was a good Democrat and someone I considered a friend, Heather Fargo.

She and her husband lived across the street from me and actually hired a band I played in at the time to play at campaign fundraisers. They were good people and she was a good public servant. Sadly, Kevin Johnson had big money and huge name recognition behind him (similar, in my mind at least, to Darryl Issa and Arnold Schwartzenegger's take-out of governor Gray Davis.)

I was super sad to see Kevin Johnson elected there over Heather Fargo. I had already moved to the bay area so wasn't personally effected, but I know a corporate front-man when I see one, and that's Kevin Johnson. Michelle Rhee, ewwww just disgusting.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread