HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » the drone that sees every...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sun Jun 16, 2013, 11:32 AM

the drone that sees everything, 1.8 gigapixel camera (must see video?)

this is a short 4 minute clip from the PBS/NOVA doc. rise of the drones, i think it is as relevant now as it was 4-5 months ago.
this video shows the surveillance and software in action. a wet dream for the STASI?

Also known as "wide area persistent stare," ARGUS is the equivalent of having up to 100 Predators look at an area the size of a medium-sized city, at once.

ARGUS-IS, a 1.8-gigapixel video surveillance platform that can resolve details as small as six inches from an altitude of 20,000 feet (6km). ARGUS is by far the highest-resolution surveillance platform in the world, and probably the highest-resolution camera in the world, period.

ARGUS, which would be attached to some kind of unmanned UAV (such as the Predator) and flown at an altitude of around 20,000 feet, can observe an area of 25 square kilometers (10sqmi) at any one time. If ARGUS was hovering over New York City, it could observe half of Manhattan. Two ARGUS-equipped drones, and the US could keep an eye on the entirety of Manhattan, 24/7.

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/146909-darpa-shows-off-1-8-gigapixel-surveillance-drone-can-spot-a-terrorist-from-20000-feet

9 replies, 865 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to Monkie (Original post)

Sun Jun 16, 2013, 11:39 AM

1. If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sun Jun 16, 2013, 11:42 AM

2. Amazing!

Reply to this post

Sun Jun 16, 2013, 11:53 AM

3. k+r ..nt

TYY

Reply to this post

Sun Jun 16, 2013, 11:56 AM

4. ^^^This^^^ is why we can't have nice things, like keeping critical nutrients for babies in hospitals

Washington hospitals are rationing critical nutrients for preemies: "Children are dying"

The technology itself is amazing but for such an evil, monstrous use.

Reply to this post

Sun Jun 16, 2013, 11:56 AM

5. If we are allowed to see it

it is probably the old technology

Reply to this post

Response to RandiFan1290 (Reply #5)

Sun Jun 16, 2013, 12:01 PM

6. this is a working/in action proof of concept with just cellphone tech/sensors

this is in use at this very moment according to the articles, and has been for quite some time.
what this could do using the best camera sensors currently available is um, um, so why exactly was Snowden hiding under a blanket while using his laptop?

Reply to this post

Sun Jun 16, 2013, 12:09 PM

7. I was wondering how pictures of my butt got all over the internets.

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 19, 2013, 06:05 PM

8. MUST SEE bump due to news of drones over US, watch the spy software in action

im physic! i posted this before the news came out of drones over the US.

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 19, 2013, 07:05 PM

9. Sounds like a good time to buy stock in a large umbrella manufacturing concern.

And yes, you may take that to mean by stock in a company that makes large umbrellas or you may take it to mean to buy stock in a manufacturing concern that has a large market share in the sale of umbrellas. I'm sorry for what appears to be an ambiguity, but in fact I do mean one, both, or either.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread