HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Um... Bullies? Nah. No bu...

Sat Jun 1, 2013, 12:12 PM

Um... Bullies? Nah. No bullies on DU; You must be talking about somewhere else...

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by cyberswede (a host of the General Discussion forum).

"B-but... if it weren't for my condescending, bullying shows-masquerading-as-actual-discussion, I'd never get to say anything..."
-- Way too many people on DU, doing the work of professional disruptors -- for free

...snip...

So, if it's not advertisers or conservatives, what's the biggest challenge we deal with every day? The challenge that has my editors second-guessing every post and quaking in fear, just waiting for the awfulness to begin? It's attacks from our fellow progressives.

As a progressive myself, it's also complex and challenging because while I very much share the political values of the folks who engage in this kind of thing, I'm not on-board with the tactics which essentially amount to liberal bullying, and are way worse than anything we see from the conservatives who swing by. The sad truth is that when it comes to the motivations behind this kind of commenting, it's basically the same as the GOD HATES FAGS guys even though the values are the polar opposite.

...snip...

Common call-out culture trends:
Focus on very public complaints. I can think of exactly one time when someone emailed their concern about problematic language. These complaints seem to be always intended for an audience.

Lack of interest in a dialogue. These complaints aren't questions or invitations to discuss the issue. They're harshly-worded accusations and scoldings (which I've written about before).

Lack of consideration for the context or intent. The focus is on this isolated incident (this one post, this one word, this one time), with de-emphasis on the author's background, experience, or the context of the website on which the post appears.

And on a more stylistic note, these complaints are often prefaced with phrases like "Um," and other condescending affectations.

...more...

http://offbeatempire.com/2012/10/liberal-bullying

10 replies, 751 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 10 replies Author Time Post
Reply Um... Bullies? Nah. No bullies on DU; You must be talking about somewhere else... (Original post)
dogknob Jun 2013 OP
Shankapotomus Jun 2013 #1
nadinbrzezinski Jun 2013 #2
dogknob Jun 2013 #3
Luminous Animal Jun 2013 #4
Bluenorthwest Jun 2013 #5
dogknob Jun 2013 #10
randome Jun 2013 #6
quinnox Jun 2013 #7
hrmjustin Jun 2013 #9
hrmjustin Jun 2013 #8

Response to dogknob (Original post)

Sat Jun 1, 2013, 12:16 PM

1. It stems from ignorance

Their parents raised them like shit and now everybody has to pay.

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sat Jun 1, 2013, 12:21 PM

2. This is particularly relevant to my experience on DU

The derailing of conversations to debate semantics

The need to process it all publicly (look at me look at me look at meeee! I am the very MOST aware of my privilege and am therefore the very BEST progressive on the entire internet!)

The righteousness

The intolerance and inability to respect that those who share your values might not share your opinions on this particular subject

For the record, these days I will put people I otherwise like on ignore, that intolerance is not conducive to good discussion

Response to nadinbrzezinski (Reply #2)

Sat Jun 1, 2013, 12:23 PM

3. Hi Nadin!

Response to nadinbrzezinski (Reply #2)

Sat Jun 1, 2013, 12:23 PM

4. You are bullied more than anyone else on this board.

Yesterday, there were two OPs by the same DUer that were created specifically to mock you. I alerted on one but the jury let it stand.

Sat Jun 1, 2013, 12:32 PM

5. The author's contention is that strident disagreement with an opinion is the same as

tens of thousands of public demonstrations against a minority group by an organized religious group? Anyone who takes issue with the author's opinion or style is the same as attacking a minority group for existing, a group already lacking in actual legal standing, that is often victim of violence at the hands of those who attack them?
Hard to read past such hyperbole, especially when it is being used to criticize hyperbole in discourse. The author begins 'the people I take issue with are just like Fred Phelps because they speak in strident hyperbole when they take issue with me'. What?
Only of course the author uses the slur Phelps uses and lets us know he really does not know much about that 'guy' and his Google is broken so he has to type the slur. I always love it when people find a way to use slurs by talking about others who use them as if you can't say Fred Phelps or Westboro or just 'the God Hates' guy. Got to use the slur. To tell us how poorly spoken others are. Got to.

Response to Bluenorthwest (Reply #5)

Sat Jun 1, 2013, 12:43 PM

10. ...and therefore there is no bullying problem eroding the progressive movement...

Tu Quoque...

Sat Jun 1, 2013, 12:32 PM

6. I've called it out a couple of times but I hesitate to be a self-styled 'policeman' of DU.

But yes, we have bullying situations at DU. Some of it no doubt stems from a poster just getting on someone's nerves. But other times, it seems like a 'gang mentality' takes over and it becomes 'fashionable' to dump on someone.

Stop looking for heroes. BE one.

Sat Jun 1, 2013, 12:38 PM

7. sure we got little gangs of 'em

on DU that seem to run in packs, but they are fucking pathetic and can be easily ignored. These guys never have anything interesting to say and are probably hated by most of DU anyhow. They are inconsequential, basically.

Response to quinnox (Reply #7)

Sat Jun 1, 2013, 12:39 PM

9. Yes they do run in packs.

Sat Jun 1, 2013, 12:39 PM

8. Yes we have bullies here and it is sickening! You have to stand up to them.

Childlike behavior from adults is mind boggling!