HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Rodman was not first pick...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu May 30, 2013, 03:44 PM

Rodman was not first pick for North Korea trip

More: http://news.yahoo.com/hbos-vice-crew-surprised-north-korean-leader-183943215.html

NEW YORK (AP) The documentary crew that accompanied Dennis Rodman to North Korea over the winter says it had no idea it would meet the reclusive country's young leader, Kim Jong Un, until he showed up at a basketball game it was filming.
The media company VICE arranged the trip and invited Rodman after its first choice, Michael Jordan, expressed no interest. A 30-minute documentary on the unexpected piece of basketball diplomacy will air on June 14 on HBO as the final episode of VICE's first season, and was previewed for some reporters on Wednesday.
The North Korean leader loves basketball so much that he overlooked the government's antipathy for VICE founder Shane Smith, who had made two critical documentaries on North Korea, and invited the crew in. Smith wasn't allowed back but VICE's Ryan Duffy accompanied Rodman and three members of the Harlem Globetrotters traveling basketball troupe.

3 replies, 549 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Rodman was not first pick for North Korea trip (Original post)
Jamaal510 May 2013 OP
Mika May 2013 #1
Name removed May 2013 #2
Blue_Tires May 2013 #3

Response to Jamaal510 (Original post)

Thu May 30, 2013, 04:22 PM

1. There's no Nike or Fruit of the Loom sweatshops in NK.

Why would MJ go if there's not mega millions in it for him?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Mika (Reply #1)

Response to Mika (Reply #1)

Thu May 30, 2013, 04:50 PM

3. Their first choice was Jordan?

That's like me saying my "first choice" for a date tonight is Serena Williams...

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread