HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » VIDEO: Insane view from i...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue May 28, 2013, 02:15 PM

VIDEO: Insane view from inside a tornado in a specially-designed "Tornado Intercept Vehicle"

Some people like to go for drives in the country and some people like to go for drives in tornado country. And then into the tornados, because.

So you can't do it in just any old car of course. No, you need something pretty amazing to drive into a tornado and survive and that's just what stormchasers Brandon Ivey and Sean Casey built. They call it the TIV 2. Here's a snippet from Mythbusters where Adam and Jamie geek out over the features of the TIV 2:

On that episode of Mythbusters they tested the TIV 2 out and it passed their simulated tornado, which was accomplished by putting it behind the roaring engines of a jumbo jet.

But how does it handle itself in a real tornado? Like a boss, that's how. Uploaded to YouTube yesterday:

Hat-tip to The Atlantic.

PB

5 replies, 1026 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply VIDEO: Insane view from inside a tornado in a specially-designed "Tornado Intercept Vehicle" (Original post)
Poll_Blind May 2013 OP
Drale May 2013 #1
Poll_Blind May 2013 #3
Tikki May 2013 #2
u4ic May 2013 #4
G_j May 2013 #5

Response to Poll_Blind (Original post)

Tue May 28, 2013, 02:18 PM

1. I saw them once in a gas station in Nebraska

and they let me sit in it but that was the first TIV, it was pretty still pretty cool.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Drale (Reply #1)

Tue May 28, 2013, 02:27 PM

3. I bet it was! I can't even imagine what it's like to be in that thing with...

...a tornado all around you. After seeing that video, though, I hope a lot of people become far less curious about tornados and just get the hell away as soon as they possibly can. Watching the ground get scoured before the real fun started made me shudder to think how quickly a person on foot or in a regular car would likely be killed or severely injured.

PB

Reply to this post

Tue May 28, 2013, 02:24 PM

2. WOW...I am extremely claustrophobic..prob would have passed out as my view became obstructed...

Brave scientist help us learn more and more.

Tikki

Reply to this post

Tue May 28, 2013, 03:58 PM

4. I saw the IMAX film Tornado Alley last year

Not sure if it's the same guys, but there was a similar vehicle in it.

I guess the vehicle isn't sound proof. I wonder if one can seriously damage their hearing in a situation like that? I can't imagine ear plugs being of much use.

Reply to this post

Tue May 28, 2013, 04:05 PM

5. woa!!

that second video is insane alright!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread