HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Overwhelming majority thi...

Fri May 17, 2013, 01:10 PM

Overwhelming majority think marijuana should be decriminalized

That's the conclusion from a poll by Reason-Rupe concerning public opinion about the way cannabis users should be treated by our justice and law enforcement system.

http://blog.norml.org/2013/05/17/poll-essentially-no-one-believes-marijuana-users-should-go-to-jail/

When asked which approach they thought the government and law enforcement should take toward someone found smoking marijuana or in possession of a small amount of marijuana, only 6% responded that they should be sent to jail. 35% of respondents said that these individuals shouldn’t be punished at all, 32% responded they should pay a fine, and 20% said they should have to attended substance abuse courses.

From the available options, the greatest number of poll participants thought there should be no punishment at all, while the second greatest number thought people should pay a fine (which is the way marijuana is treated when decriminalized.)

The good news is that only 6% of the American population is totally fucking stupid and thinks cannabis should result in jail time.

Happy Friday, all!

7 replies, 722 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply Overwhelming majority think marijuana should be decriminalized (Original post)
RainDog May 2013 OP
woo me with science May 2013 #1
RainDog May 2013 #4
Bay Boy May 2013 #2
bluedigger May 2013 #3
enough May 2013 #5
RainDog May 2013 #6
enough May 2013 #7

Response to RainDog (Original post)

Fri May 17, 2013, 01:15 PM

1. Unfortunately, that fact would only be relevant in a country

with a representative system of government.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to woo me with science (Reply #1)

Fri May 17, 2013, 02:18 PM

4. seems the tipping point is here

just waiting for the fall of the federal prohibition wall.

Reply to this post

Fri May 17, 2013, 01:16 PM

2. That's not a good idea...

....it would empty the jails and prisons. What would we do with those empty cells, put violent criminals in them?

Reply to this post

Response to Bay Boy (Reply #2)

Fri May 17, 2013, 01:18 PM

3. Well, there's always financial fraud.

Oh, wait, what am I thinking?

Reply to this post

Fri May 17, 2013, 04:05 PM

5. In our local newsrag, whenever there's a marijuana bust (for growing),

the comments are always 100% against the laws and against the cops wasting their time on arresting people for pot. This is the one issue on which there is unanimous opinion. All other issues are very hotly argued, with the majority leaning far right.

This is SE PA.

Reply to this post

Response to enough (Reply #5)

Fri May 17, 2013, 06:23 PM

6. Yeah. I see that all the time, too

The only people who want to keep prohibition in the works are law enforcement agencies, the DEA, the alcoholic bev industry and military contractors - and the only reason is because of $$.

anyone who wants to argue against legalization these days has to pull "facts" out of their behinds.

Reply to this post

Response to RainDog (Reply #6)

Fri May 17, 2013, 08:56 PM

7. It just drives me crazy that the Obama admin seems to be completely on the wrong side of this.

What is he thinking? I understand that he can't re-write all the laws, but why such an emphatic posture in the wrong direction. I'm sick of it.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread