HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Stunning B&W photos from ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon May 13, 2013, 02:03 AM

Stunning B&W photos from President Kennedy visit to Berlin

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2322626/Ich-bin-ein-Berliner-Fifty-years-President-Kennedys-trip-Berlin-stunning-black-white-photos-immortalise-day.html

Ulrich Mack, a prior to this visit unpublished photographer, captured these and many other black and white photographs of President Kennedys famous visit to Berlin Germany. These and a hundred or so more are soon to be published in a book documenting that visit.

10 replies, 1483 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 10 replies Author Time Post
Reply Stunning B&W photos from President Kennedy visit to Berlin (Original post)
chknltl May 2013 OP
moondust May 2013 #1
chknltl May 2013 #9
moondust May 2013 #10
CountAllVotes May 2013 #2
dipsydoodle May 2013 #3
Javaman May 2013 #4
Brickbat May 2013 #6
Javaman May 2013 #7
Dash87 May 2013 #8
Brickbat May 2013 #5

Response to chknltl (Original post)

Mon May 13, 2013, 02:50 AM

1. Thanks.

Several decades ago I lived in Berlin for about 18 months but that was well after JFK was there. Some of these shots look familiar. Great quality!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to moondust (Reply #1)

Tue May 14, 2013, 10:36 PM

9. I lived there 1969-1972 as an Army 'brat'.

My father was an Army cook. Every three years or so we pulled up stakes and moved to Germany, Berlin being our family's last tour. I have to say that Berlin back then was a beautiful and wonderful city. I could easily hijack my own thread here with my many fond memories of Berlin but one that stands out the most was sitting on our balcony on a late summers eve and marveling at how the very air smelled like perfume! You see not only were there hundreds of well tended community gardens throughout the city but every back yard it seemed, had something blooming in it too. There were many summer evenings when the air was calm that one was treated to that particular bit of magic. (Decades later I am sitting on my own back deck, on a pretty plot of land out in the county writing this on a 'smart phone' while being visited by a red hummingbird).

Reply to this post

Response to chknltl (Reply #9)

Wed May 15, 2013, 12:11 AM

10. I remember the gardens well.

And the birch trees. And the Grunewald. And the Wannsee.

I think the reality of living in a walled city and not knowing for sure how long it would remain "free" fostered a carefree, sometimes wild, live-it-up spirit. I know I probably did more than my share of living it up.

I was there from late 74 to early 76 in the army. Among other things, I bought a nice French racing bike at the French PX and rode all over the place. Lots of great memories. I'd love to go back for a visit but travel has gotten pretty expensive so I don't know.

Glad you enjoyed it there and have made it this far! Sounds like you're still enjoying some gardens and cool night air!

Auf Berlin!

Reply to this post

Mon May 13, 2013, 02:56 AM

2. Great pictures that bring back sad memories of a great President

JFK was a file man. Many Americans believed him to be the finest President ever had next to FDR. Great photos and it makes me sad. JFK was very loved, that is obvious.

I lived through this time and it makes me sad to think about how decrepit society has become today in comparison to this time.

No more showers of ribbons and roses for the President of the United State of America. Just guns and security and more guns and security until you just want to and walk away these days from the evil darkness that surrounds all such events today.

One thing is for sure, is it not 1963 any more.

RIP Pres. John F. Kennedy. There will never be another one like you!

Reply to this post

Mon May 13, 2013, 04:14 AM

3. Memories of another day

Reply to this post

Mon May 13, 2013, 09:48 AM

4. "I am a donut".

Is it an urban legend that Kennedy had trouble saying the now famous phrase and given the way he pronounced it would come out, "I am a donut"?

Reply to this post

Response to Brickbat (Reply #6)

Mon May 13, 2013, 09:56 AM

7. Thanks. :)

Kennedy was one smart fellow and I always seriously doubted he would make that kind of mistake. Probably his enemies on the right spreading BS as usual aka nixon.

Thanks!

Reply to this post

Response to Javaman (Reply #4)

Mon May 13, 2013, 09:58 AM

8. A myth. :)

The crowd all knew what he meant and it was not something any of them really noticed.

Reply to this post

Mon May 13, 2013, 09:49 AM

5. "Here, have some straw."

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread