HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Obama Administration Plan...

Thu May 2, 2013, 01:22 PM

Obama Administration Plan B Appeal Draws Criticism From Reproductive Rights Groups - AP/HuffPo

Obama Administration Plan B Appeal Draws Criticism From Reproductive Rights Groups
By LAURAN NEERGAARD and JOSH LEDERMAN - AP/HuffPo
05/02/13 03:23 AM ET EDT

<snip>

WASHINGTON -- The Obama administration's decision to appeal a court order lifting age limits on purchasers of the morning-after pill set off a storm of criticism from reproductive rights groups, who denounced it as politically motivated and a step backward for women's health.

"We are profoundly disappointed. This appeal takes away the promise of all women having timely access to emergency contraception," Susannah Baruch, Interim President & CEO of the Reproductive Health Technologies Project, said in a statement late Wednesday.

"It is especially troubling in light of the Food and Drug Administration's move yesterday to continue age restrictions and ID requirements, despite a court order to make emergency contraception accessible for women of all ages. Both announcements, particularly in tandem, highlight the administration's corner-cutting on women's health," Baruch said. "It's a sad day for women's health when politics prevails."

The FDA on Tuesday had lowered the age at which people can buy the Plan B One-Step morning-after pill without a prescription to 15 – younger than the current limit of 17 – and decided that the pill could be sold on drugstore shelves near the condoms, instead of locked behind pharmacy counters. It appeared to be a stab at compromise that just made both sides angrier.

After the appeal was announced late Wednesday, Terry O'Neill, president of the National Organization for Women, said, "The prevention of unwanted pregnancy, particularly in adolescents, should not be obstructed by politicians." She called it a "step backwards for women's health."

Last week, O'Neill noted, President Barack Obama was applauded when he addressed members of Planned Parenthood and spoke of the organization's "core principle" that women should be allowed to make their own decisions about their health.

"President Obama should practice what he preaches," O'Neill said.

<snip>

More: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/02/obama-plan-b_n_3199874.html

24 replies, 1038 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 24 replies Author Time Post
Reply Obama Administration Plan B Appeal Draws Criticism From Reproductive Rights Groups - AP/HuffPo (Original post)
WillyT May 2013 OP
sufrommich May 2013 #1
get the red out May 2013 #2
still_one May 2013 #3
RC May 2013 #14
WillyT May 2013 #15
still_one May 2013 #16
arcane1 May 2013 #4
winter is coming May 2013 #9
byeya May 2013 #5
Life Long Dem May 2013 #6
WillyT May 2013 #8
Savannahmann May 2013 #10
sufrommich May 2013 #11
winter is coming May 2013 #12
markpkessinger May 2013 #22
DJ13 May 2013 #7
Tierra_y_Libertad May 2013 #13
WillyT May 2013 #17
Le Taz Hot May 2013 #18
markpkessinger May 2013 #19
WillyT May 2013 #20
ProSense May 2013 #21
Savannahmann May 2013 #23
WillyT May 2013 #24

Response to WillyT (Original post)

Thu May 2, 2013, 01:25 PM

1. As it should. Shame on the Obama adminisration for

this right wing bullshit. I am so angry about this.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu May 2, 2013, 01:26 PM

2. Fuck the administration

Thanks for being a bunch of religious right wanna-bes. FUCK YOU!

Reply to this post

Thu May 2, 2013, 01:37 PM

3. For me the president has been a huge disappointment.

Reply to this post

Response to still_one (Reply #3)

Thu May 2, 2013, 02:37 PM

14. I voted for a Liberal, or at least a centralist Democrat.

What we got instead, was a 3rd Way, blue dog, Republican-sometimes-not-so-Lite.
Social Security on the table, up front by Obama?

Reply to this post

Response to RC (Reply #14)

Thu May 2, 2013, 02:52 PM

15. Yep... I Like To Say I've Never Voted For A Republican In My Life...

But apparently I have... twice.

Reply to this post

Response to RC (Reply #14)

Thu May 2, 2013, 02:54 PM

16. Unfortunately I knew what I was doing, but I did not want the republicans

In to make the Supreme Court worse by voting third party

Maybe one day progressive Democrats will get in

Reply to this post

Thu May 2, 2013, 01:40 PM

4. Wait, what?? They're APPEALING this???

Indeed!!

Reply to this post

Response to arcane1 (Reply #4)

Thu May 2, 2013, 02:19 PM

9. Yes. Didn't you expect that, as soon as you heard the FDA was upholding an age-restriction,

even if it's been lowered to 15? As long as there's a restriction of some sort, pharmacies have an excuse to either not stock Plan B ("too much work") or shelve it out of sight where the person working the pharmacy counter has de facto control over whether or not they're "out" of Plan B when someone asks.

Reply to this post

Thu May 2, 2013, 01:42 PM

5. There was a thread on the same subject this morning that argued the DOJ suit protected

the agency's prerogatives and was a good thing. It seemed well reasoned.

To me, it seems better to have a favorable court ruling - the force of law - than an agency rule - privilege extended - which can be withdrawn by the next administration.

Reply to this post

Thu May 2, 2013, 01:45 PM

6. Here is why.

"Lack of data on how the medication would affect girls as young as 12."

"Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius overruled the agency, citing concerns over a lack of data on how the medication would affect girls as young as 12.

The judge overstepped his authority.

Reply to this post

Response to Life Long Dem (Reply #6)

Thu May 2, 2013, 02:16 PM

8. Well Then... I Guess It's A Good Thing 12 Year Olds Never Get Pregnant...

Reply to this post

Thu May 2, 2013, 02:22 PM

10. Long term health effects on girls as young as 12?

There is literally no good outcome in that situation. If the girl, a child really, carries the baby to term, the long term effects are possibly everything from destroying her chances of ever having a baby again, to severe birth defects for the child because the girl is not physically ready, no matter what her biological clock says, to carry a baby. Abortion? That would be worse than the side effects from plan B, if any.

Nuts. This was an asinine move from our President. There is only one reason, and it doesn't have anything to do with health concerns. It is that we need to fight those damned Rethugs on Abortion, and we as a party can't get people to donate if we've solved the problems.

Reply to this post

Thu May 2, 2013, 02:26 PM

11. The morning after pill is widely used in Europe. In France,it's

available to girls by going to the school nurse,free of cost. I guarantee it's health risks are far less than teenage pregnancy. Not offering it to all ages is inexplicable for this administration. He's not running for reelection, his admin has nothing to gain by fighting this ruling. Nothing.

Reply to this post

Thu May 2, 2013, 02:29 PM

12. I'd be extremely surprised if the government didn't make that argument the first time around.

My guess is that the judge heard arguments from both sides as to whether or not lack of data was an issue and decided it wasn't.

Reply to this post

Fri May 3, 2013, 06:28 AM

22. Today's NY Times has a rather different take on this . . .

Putting Politics Ahead of Science
By THE EDITORIAL BOARD
Published: May 2, 2013

< . . . >

In 2011, the secretary of health and human services, Kathleen Sebelius, overruled the Food and Drug Administration, which had decided, based on scientific evidence, that the pills would be safe and appropriate “for all females of child-bearing potential.” Ms. Sebelius arbitrarily determined that only women 17 and older should have access to the drug.

Then, last month, citing the political nature of Ms. Sebelius’s intervention and finding no “coherent justification” for it, Judge Edward Korman of United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York ordered the F.D.A. to make emergency contraceptives available over the counter to all women, with no age restrictions.

< . . . >

The administration’s continued stubbornness may please some conservative groups critical of the president. But it will hurt girls and women and is bound to undermine Mr. Obama’s credibility when he calls for principled, evidence-based policy-making on other issues, like global warming.

The Justice Department’s legal argument, moreover, is incoherent. In court documents, it claims that Judge Korman’s order improperly interferes with the F.D.A.’s “scientific judgments” pertaining to the drug approval process. But it was Ms. Sebelius’s interference with science that sparked Judge Korman’s ruling in the first place.

< . . . >

Reply to this post

Thu May 2, 2013, 01:55 PM

7. There he goes, being the "liberal" we all voted for yet again

Reply to this post

Thu May 2, 2013, 02:35 PM

13. Obama caved...again? How shocking.

Reply to this post

Response to Tierra_y_Libertad (Reply #13)

Thu May 2, 2013, 04:22 PM

17. LOL !!! - Did Not Know We Had That Particular Smilie...

Reply to this post

Thu May 2, 2013, 04:28 PM

18. Disgusting.

Once again, appealing to the right wing while telling the progressives to "Fuck Off." What's the excuse this time? The Republicans won't like him if he doesn't speak up?

Reply to this post

Thu May 2, 2013, 05:31 PM

19. But...but...it's Republican obstruction that's causing the Administration to do this!

Obviously, you're just trying to suppress the Democratic vote in 2014!

Reply to this post

Thu May 2, 2013, 07:47 PM

20. Kick !!!

Reply to this post

Thu May 2, 2013, 08:30 PM

21. Obama ‘Very Comfortable’ With FDA Decision On Plan B

Obama ‘Very Comfortable’ With FDA Decision On Plan B
http://www.democraticunderground.com/10022789235

Reply to this post

Response to ProSense (Reply #21)

Fri May 3, 2013, 06:55 AM

23. It was a week ago that we cheered the President for speaking at Planned Parenthood

Now, he's very comfortable with the decision to limit a womans right to timely medical treatment, and we aren't screaming at him about it. Here is how I know we've put party over principal. If it had been John Ashcroft as the Attorney General who had announced the appeal, we would have been tearing up sidewalks. But since it's one of ours, well we are cool with it.

Reply to this post

Response to Savannahmann (Reply #23)

Fri May 3, 2013, 09:10 AM

24. + 1,000,000,000 What You Said !!!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread