HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Huge attack on WordPress ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Apr 15, 2013, 02:13 AM

Huge attack on WordPress sites could spawn never-before-seen super botnet

Security analysts have detected an ongoing attack that uses a huge number of computers from across the Internet to commandeer servers that run the WordPress blogging application.

The unknown people behind the highly distributed attack are using more than 90,000 IP addresses to brute-force crack administrative credentials of vulnerable WordPress systems, researchers from at least three Web hosting services reported. At least one company warned that the attackers may be in the process of building a "botnet" of infected computers that's vastly stronger and more destructive than those available today. That's because the servers have bandwidth connections that are typically tens, hundreds, or even thousands of times faster than botnets made of infected machines in homes and small businesses.

"These larger machines can cause much more damage in DDoS attacks because the servers have large network connections and are capable of generating significant amounts of traffic," Matthew Prince, CEO of content delivery network CloudFlare, wrote in a blog post describing the attacks.

http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/04/huge-attack-on-wordpress-sites-could-spawn-never-before-seen-super-botnet/

5 replies, 780 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Huge attack on WordPress sites could spawn never-before-seen super botnet (Original post)
Paul E Ester Apr 2013 OP
Berlum Apr 2013 #1
Le Taz Hot Apr 2013 #2
TekGryphon Apr 2013 #3
bemildred Apr 2013 #4
William769 Apr 2013 #5

Response to Paul E Ester (Original post)

Mon Apr 15, 2013, 04:50 AM

1. Oh noes

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Apr 15, 2013, 05:08 AM

2. Well, damn!

And here I just discovered WordPress (yes, I know, last person on earth) and downloaded one of their templates to use for my blog that was supposed to go up on April 1. Damn!

Reply to this post

Mon Apr 15, 2013, 05:08 AM

3. Almost certainly another attack from China...

Russian spam tycoons wouldn't touch something like this. Too dangerous and limited profit motive.

This is the type of cyber-terrorism that comes from state-sponsored hackers.

Reply to this post

Mon Apr 15, 2013, 08:14 AM

4. Yawn. nt

Reply to this post

Mon Apr 15, 2013, 08:31 AM

5. Yes I use word press and yes my service provider is hostgator.

Has gotten so bad that I have put my site in maintenance mode until further notice.

When I am in the admin area it's running so slow, I cannot get anything done.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread