HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » I am a Democrat because t...

Thu Feb 2, 2012, 12:00 AM

I am a Democrat because there are two viable political parties in America.

There are the Democrats, and there is Evil.

And that's why I'm a Democrat.

9 replies, 1527 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to TheWraith (Original post)

Thu Feb 2, 2012, 12:07 AM

1. The Democrats aren't all that pristine themselves.

Lots of evil in this party too. It's just that the only good people in Congress are Democrats (except Bernie Sanders of course) and there are too few of them to make any real difference. "Our" bought off bastards are even worse than the Republicans because at least the Republicans are open about their intentions.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Feb 2, 2012, 12:20 AM

2. Much as I hate to say it, we do need at least two viable parties

to keep the Democratic Party on track. We had it so easy after the Johnson years that I really think we lost our way for a generation. Congressmen and Senators all had safe seats and no one really cared about having a real party platform.

Reply to this post

Response to hedgehog (Reply #2)

Thu Feb 2, 2012, 12:44 AM

5. As the OP points out there is really only one party. That isnt good. That's like Russia or Cuba.

We need two parties to balance each other out, to keep each other on their toes. Now we have the Third Way.

Reply to this post

Response to rhett o rick (Reply #5)

Fri Feb 3, 2012, 01:10 AM

6. No, actually that's the COMPLETE opposite of what I pointed out.

There is more distance between the Republicans and the Democrats than there has been in decades, and it's only getting wider. It takes a massive failure of perspective not to see that.

Reply to this post

Response to TheWraith (Reply #6)

Fri Feb 3, 2012, 08:44 AM

7. "It takes a massive failure of perspective not to see that. " I dont think that

is necessary. If you dont agree with me fine, but what is this "massive failure"?

Reply to this post

Response to TheWraith (Reply #6)

Fri Feb 3, 2012, 08:50 AM

8. The two Democrats that scuttled single payer in Calif werent far from being republicons.

Most Democratic Congress-critters nurse from the same corporate tit as republicons. Neither party has a lock on corruption.

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 2, 2012, 12:25 AM

3. I think Iceland has a far superior system, with many parties and proportional representation

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 2, 2012, 12:43 AM

4. There are two versions of Democrats

The Liberal/Progressive Democrat and the DINO version. The Democratic party is far from monolithic, as some here seem to think.

Reply to this post

Response to RC (Reply #4)

Fri Feb 3, 2012, 09:05 AM

9. The Democratic Party's tent has gotten so large

that Tim Geitner, Lawrence Summers, Ben Bernanke, William M. Daley, Jeff Immelt, Alan Simpson, Dave Cote, Jeb Bush, Robert Gates, Gen Stanley McChrystal, Jacob Lew, Michael Taylor, Rahm Emanuel, all work/worked for a DEmocratic Administration. Most have direct ties to Wall Street and some were favorites of GW Bush.

Corporatism transcends party labels.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread