HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » The Steubenville rape tri...

Wed Mar 13, 2013, 05:11 PM

The Steubenville rape trial has begun; a couple of links:

Greg Mitchell ‏@GregMitch

Opening statements in Steubenville rape trial--defendants treated girl as "toy," "degraded" her over and over. http://bit.ly/WncLUx
Retweeted by Stop The Wars

The Atlantic Wire ‏@TheAtlanticWire

America finally hears the case for the victim on first day of #Steubenville trial http://theatln.tc/ZL5A9J

RH Reality Check ‏@rhrealitycheck

She didnít affirmatively say no, so the defense implies she must have said yes. http://ow.ly/iRPKI #Steubenville

Anonymous ‏@YourAnonNews

#Anonymous protests outside #Ohio court as rape trial begins - http://ow.ly/iT4pG

8 replies, 830 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply The Steubenville rape trial has begun; a couple of links: (Original post)
Fire Walk With Me Mar 2013 OP
Brayshawna Williams Mar 2013 #1
MineralMan Mar 2013 #2
Cal Carpenter Mar 2013 #3
Brayshawna Williams Mar 2013 #4
Cal Carpenter Mar 2013 #6
geek tragedy Mar 2013 #5
Cal Carpenter Mar 2013 #7
Warren DeMontague Mar 2013 #8

Response to Fire Walk With Me (Original post)

Response to Brayshawna Williams (Reply #1)

Thu Mar 14, 2013, 02:24 PM

2. She didn't have sex.

People raped her. Get it straight, please.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Mar 14, 2013, 02:27 PM

3. They sexually assaulted her while she was *unconscious*

How in the HELL is that the same as saying yes?

**unless the witnesses to that part of this nightmarish story have recanted - there were multiple witnesses saying this***

This poor young woman.

I hope the RAPISTS get some serious sentences.

I wish that ASSHOLES WHO WITNESSED AND FILMED THESE EVENTS WOULD BE CHARGED AS WELL.

Reply to this post

Response to Cal Carpenter (Reply #3)

Response to Brayshawna Williams (Reply #4)

Thu Mar 14, 2013, 02:47 PM

6. IIRC, they both said she wasn't moving

or unresponsive during the basement incident. I don't remember their exact words. I also believe one witness (who filmed and later deleted the incident) said one of the defendants was sexually assaulting her with his fingers while she was passed out in the back of a car.

His reasoning was that he filmed it so she would know what happened since she clearly was unaware at the time.

To be honest though, I haven't been following the latest since the trial started - these are based on earlier hearings and witness interviews that have been released to the public.

Also, it has been a couple months since I was studying this situation so my memory may be slightly off.

Reply to this post

Response to Cal Carpenter (Reply #3)

Thu Mar 14, 2013, 02:34 PM

5. The physical rapists will get a slap on the wrist at worse as juvenile offenders.

In 4-5 years they'll be free to rape again.

The entire culture of Steubenville is to blame here--see the reports where when you poll people at bars, 80% support the rapists and only 20% support the victim.

Reply to this post

Response to geek tragedy (Reply #5)

Thu Mar 14, 2013, 02:53 PM

7. Unfortunately, I believe you are right

Yeah, the fact that the football team refused to take them off the field until they were charged, and that the athletic department let all the others continue playing (f'ball, one wrestler too I think) despite their participation in the parties and witnessing these crimes without reporting... is unreal imo. It takes a certain kind of community to allow that sort of shit. Most high schools suspend players first to CYA and ask questions later. Even OSU kicked out the kid that was on the video mocking the whole thing.

The leaders at this school and sports program refused to acknowledge that any of this was happening until long after the incident. Not to mention other rumored similar incidents in the past with some of these same students.

This is one of those rare situations where I am comfortable saying these little assholes are guilty. I don't need a trial to confirm it. I don't need no 'alleged'. It's just sick and a sign of how sick that community is (not all the people - but the culture created by those in charge).

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 14, 2013, 02:59 PM

8. I hope the judge has a very strong arm

so he can throw the largest book possible at those "kids".

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread