HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Dumpster Diving in the Gr...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Feb 28, 2013, 07:01 AM

Dumpster Diving in the Great Recession: 'I Did It Because I Was Hungry" (Hard Times, USA)

http://www.alternet.org/poverty/tales-dumpster-diving

In 2012 Cornelius, an older homeless man who has been living in a suburb north of Chicago, started by telling me of the first time he ever tried dumpster diving.

I did it because I was hungry. I was proud and I did not want anyone to see me doing it. I went through dumpsters behind apartment buildings in Chicago. In the first block, I did not find anything, but in the next one I discovered a large pizza with only half eaten. I took it over to the house of a friend, who heated it up so everybody there had some. I did not tell them where I got it from.

I used to do it to find clothes. You would find a pair of pants or shirt and take it the laundry to clean it. I want decent clothing. I donít want people to know I am poor.

Behind grocery stores, Iíve gotten polish sausages, hamburger meat, and even steaks. Often, Iíd find corn, butter and milk and, recently, cottage cheese. I donít like it, but my friend did, and I gave it to him.

Sometimes, he and I find a lot of food and we take what we can get and share it with others.

6 replies, 649 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Dumpster Diving in the Great Recession: 'I Did It Because I Was Hungry" (Hard Times, USA) (Original post)
xchrom Feb 2013 OP
Egalitarian Thug Feb 2013 #1
Mnemosyne Feb 2013 #2
JaneyVee Feb 2013 #3
DotGone Feb 2013 #5
woo me with science Feb 2013 #4
jwirr Feb 2013 #6

Response to xchrom (Original post)

Thu Feb 28, 2013, 08:45 AM

1. K&R Find & vote for new candidates that support sensible economic policy.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Feb 28, 2013, 01:10 PM

2. It is beyond heart-breaking to know people are forced to live like tihs in the supposedly greatest

country on the Earth.

And it really, really pisses me off...

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 28, 2013, 01:13 PM

3. Been there, done that.

Reply to this post

Response to JaneyVee (Reply #3)

Thu Feb 28, 2013, 01:25 PM

5. Ditto.

When my parents die, I'm probably going back to it.

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 28, 2013, 01:23 PM

4. K&R

with rage.

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 28, 2013, 02:00 PM

6. Years ago our local grocery store would set the "over ripe" fresh fruit and vegies out when they

could not sell them. My dad would pick them up for the geese, ducks and chickens. We soon learned that much of it was still edible.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread