HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » US Official Denied Russia...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Feb 27, 2013, 11:13 PM

US Official Denied Russian Visa, Cites Magnitsky Row: Report

WASHINGTON, February 27 (RIA Novosti) – A senior US lawmaker has been denied a Russian visa in what he said was likely a retaliatory move for the Magnitsky Act, a US law sanctioning Russian officials accused of human rights abuses, Foreign Policy reported on its website Wednesday.

“I was shocked. During the worst days of the Soviet Union I went there repeatedly,” Rep. Chris Smith, a Republican from New Jersey, was quoted by Foreign Policy as saying. "The Magnitsky bill is the reason I didn’t get the visa. This is the first time.”

Smith said was planning a trip to discuss the Magnitsky legislation, which he voted in favor of last year, as well as other issues with Russian officials, the report said. Smith’s office did not return calls for comment on Wednesday.

http://en.rian.ru/world/20130228/179725770/US-Official-Denied-Russian-Visa-Cites-Magnitsky-Row-Report------.html

Would that we could keep Rep Chris Smith out of the US as well.

2 replies, 434 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply US Official Denied Russian Visa, Cites Magnitsky Row: Report (Original post)
FarCenter Feb 2013 OP
bluedigger Feb 2013 #1
FarCenter Feb 2013 #2

Response to FarCenter (Original post)

Wed Feb 27, 2013, 11:44 PM

1. "Senior" from their perspective, perhaps.

I never heard of Rep. Smith. And what was he going over there so much for, anyways? Is he some kind of commie or something?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to bluedigger (Reply #1)

Thu Feb 28, 2013, 10:20 AM

2. In his 17th term as extremely social conservative Rep from New Jersey's 4th district

Second ranked Republican on the House Foreign Affairs Committee.

Chairman of the Subcommittee on Africa, Global Health, Global Human Rights, and International Organizations, the subcommittee where a social conservative can do the most damage to human wellbeing.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread