HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Numéro Magazine 'African ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Feb 27, 2013, 01:04 PM

Numéro Magazine 'African Queen' Editorial Uses White Model Ondria Hardin

The Huffington Post | By Julee Wilson
Posted: 02/25/2013 5:45 pm EST | Updated: 02/27/2013 9:07 am EST

It was bad enough we had to report on T Magazine's glaring lack of diversity in its relaunch issue, which was followed with an apology from its Editor-in-Chief Deborah Needleman.

Now comes this racially-insensitive gem. Jezebel's Laura Beck has pointed out Numéro magazine's use of a highly bronzed white model in one of its fashion editorials entitled "African Queen."

We'll give you a moment to process that information and pick up your jaws.

PHOTO:

?15

Moment over. The young lady in the spread is 16-year-old, blond-haired, blue-eyed Ondria Hardin, who is seen with her skin darkened and striking a pose for the French glossy. To start, we know there are plenty of white people living in Africa -- but Ondria is from North Carolina and we're pretty sure white people in Africa don't walk around in what could be considered a light application of blackface.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/25/numero-magazine-african-queen_n_2761374.html

5 replies, 1015 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Numéro Magazine 'African Queen' Editorial Uses White Model Ondria Hardin (Original post)
HarveyDarkey Feb 2013 OP
Sheldon Cooper Feb 2013 #1
dipsydoodle Feb 2013 #2
Dreamer Tatum Feb 2013 #3
redgreenandblue Feb 2013 #4
LittleBlue Feb 2013 #5

Response to HarveyDarkey (Original post)

Wed Feb 27, 2013, 01:24 PM

1. Why?

I read the article, and couldn't see one reason why they had to use a white girl for the shoot. Not one. You can't tell me there were no AA models available. It seems we see so much of this tone-deaf (at best) and outright racist (at worst) behavior and I have to wonder if we've learned even one thing in the past 50 or so years in this country.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Feb 27, 2013, 01:47 PM

2. Completely needless

They could easily have found a model from within the Sudan or Ethiopia with the same build and facial features as the model they used.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 27, 2013, 01:52 PM

3. FINALLY another outrage

I was afraid there would be an hour or so without a new one!

Reply to this post

Response to Dreamer Tatum (Reply #3)

Wed Feb 27, 2013, 02:02 PM

4. ...

your comment made me laugh even though I have to agree that the magazine did an inappropriate thing.

Reply to this post

Response to Dreamer Tatum (Reply #3)

Wed Feb 27, 2013, 02:03 PM

5. Agreed

A sixteen-year-old just got her break of a lifetime and people can't wait to find fault.

Who cares what race she is or that they painted her skin? This is high fashion, where even Beyonce has had her skin painted darkly to be "African".

http://www.justjared.com/photo-gallery/2522063/beyonce-lofficiel-03/

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread