HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Arkansas Governor Vetoes ...

Tue Feb 26, 2013, 06:51 PM

Arkansas Governor Vetoes 20-Week Abortion Bill

Democratic Gov. Mike Beebe on Tuesday vetoed a ban on most abortions in Arkansas at 20 weeks into a pregnancy, setting up an override fight with a Republican-controlled Legislature that has been pushing for more restrictions on the procedure.

Beebe said he vetoed the ban, which is based on the disputed belief that a fetus can feel pain at 20 weeks, because it runs afoul of the U.S. Supreme Court's 1973 Roe v. Wade ruling that legalized abortion until the point where fetuses can survive outside the womb, usually at 22 to 24 weeks. The Republican sponsor of the measure said he'll seek to override Beebe's veto.

"Because it would impose a ban on a woman's right to choose an elective, nontherapeutic abortion before viability, House Bill 1037, if it became law, would squarely contradict Supreme Court precedent," Beebe said in his veto letter. "When I was sworn in as governor I took an oath to preserve, protect and defend both the Arkansas Constitution and the Constitution of the United States. I take that oath seriously."

Beebe also cited the cost of a potential lawsuit if the state enacted the ban. The American Civil Liberties Union of Arkansas has said it would likely sue if it went into effect.

http://news.yahoo.com/arkansas-governor-veto-20-week-abortion-bill-203009236.html

8 replies, 1172 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply Arkansas Governor Vetoes 20-Week Abortion Bill (Original post)
joeybee12 Feb 2013 OP
CaliforniaPeggy Feb 2013 #1
one_voice Feb 2013 #2
MoreGOPoop Feb 2013 #3
Ilsa Feb 2013 #4
Chorophyll Feb 2013 #5
jaysunb Feb 2013 #6
mountain grammy Feb 2013 #7
nyquil_man Feb 2013 #8

Response to joeybee12 (Original post)

Tue Feb 26, 2013, 06:53 PM

1. I applaud his veto!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Feb 26, 2013, 06:54 PM

2. Good!

k&r

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 26, 2013, 07:48 PM

3. Glad to hear this!

Evidently, there are more Lefties here in Arkansas than I thought. Right on, Governor Beebe! We have your back!

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 26, 2013, 08:32 PM

4. Good on him! nt

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 26, 2013, 08:33 PM

5. Ah, good work!

Very glad to hear this.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 26, 2013, 08:47 PM

6. "I take that oath seriously."

"When I was sworn in as governor I took an oath to preserve, protect and defend both the Arkansas Constitution and the Constitution of the United States. I take that oath seriously."

WOW ! can I get an AMEN and the same pledge from other politicians ?

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 26, 2013, 09:53 PM

7. We're hanging by a thread here. Republican men and radical Christians are hell bent to control women

It has little to do with abortion, and everything to do with control. Control of half the population and keep the power and money where they belong; with white men.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 26, 2013, 09:57 PM

8. The AR legislature hasn't got a clue.

This is what happens when you elect people who have no idea how government works.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread