HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » "I Saw Your Junk&quo...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Feb 26, 2013, 04:38 PM

"I Saw Your Junk" -- McFarlane rejioner

I really had no idea that Seth McFarlane who I, and apparently a good portion of the industry, think is an extraordinarily talented individual is so universally reviled. Especially around DU since he supports many liberal causes and ideas.

Anyway maybe this will help:

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/watch-we-saw-your-junk-song-responds-to-seth-macfarlanes-oscar-tune-we-saw-your-boobs-20130226

Oh-oh, I used the j-word...I better self-alert.

32 replies, 2040 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 32 replies Author Time Post
Reply "I Saw Your Junk" -- McFarlane rejioner (Original post)
MindPilot Feb 2013 OP
niyad Feb 2013 #1
GRENADE Feb 2013 #13
niyad Feb 2013 #15
GRENADE Feb 2013 #20
niyad Feb 2013 #24
GRENADE Feb 2013 #26
Comrade Grumpy Feb 2013 #30
niyad Feb 2013 #32
DreamGypsy Feb 2013 #2
Ian David Feb 2013 #3
RockaFowler Feb 2013 #4
Ian David Feb 2013 #6
Ian David Feb 2013 #9
Ian David Feb 2013 #7
cali Feb 2013 #5
MindPilot Feb 2013 #11
ljm2002 Feb 2013 #16
MindPilot Feb 2013 #17
ljm2002 Feb 2013 #18
niyad Feb 2013 #27
Yavin4 Feb 2013 #8
backtoblue Feb 2013 #10
tosh Feb 2013 #12
MindPilot Feb 2013 #14
tosh Feb 2013 #25
gauguin57 Feb 2013 #19
niyad Feb 2013 #22
deutsey Feb 2013 #23
bullwinkle428 Feb 2013 #28
reformist2 Feb 2013 #21
Aerows Feb 2013 #29
Taverner Feb 2013 #31

Response to MindPilot (Original post)

Tue Feb 26, 2013, 04:48 PM

1. had no idea who he was before, but he has shown himself to be a sexist a**hole, regardless

of how talented the industry thinks he is. talent does not excuse what happened on sunday night. I don't know who wrote that sexist garbage, or who approved it, but the fact that it was approved and aired says pretty much all we need to know about how that industry views women.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to niyad (Reply #1)

Tue Feb 26, 2013, 05:20 PM

13. do you

understand the concept of comedy?

Reply to this post

Response to GRENADE (Reply #13)

Tue Feb 26, 2013, 06:41 PM

15. nice start to your stay here. yes, I do understand the concept of comedy. I also understand

the concepts of misogyny, hatred, sexism, ageism, bigotry and bad taste, to name just a few concepts with which I am familiar. I also understand the concept of adolescents of any age smirking about sex because they think it makes them look cool, or whatever the current euphemism happens to be.

you might try looking at post 10 for some illumination.

Reply to this post

Response to niyad (Reply #15)

Wed Feb 27, 2013, 08:20 AM

20. i didn't realize

that my post count changes your opinion of me, but my point is almost all "comedy" is offensive to someone, that's all.

Reply to this post

Response to GRENADE (Reply #20)

Wed Feb 27, 2013, 10:02 AM

24. nice try, but doesn't wash. my opinion is not based on your post count, but your words.

reallly? that was your "point"?? because what it looked like was an intimation that because I did not find that sexist, tasteless, racist, ageist schtick of his funny, I do not understand the concept of comedy. that is exactly what women are told regularly when they find things sexist, and misogynistic, and point it out "it's only a joke. what's the matter, can't you take a joke?" as though the problem were with us, not the sexist, misogynistic cretin making said "joke"

for further elucidation, you might trying reading the following:
http://jezebel.com/5987118/sexism-fatigue-when-seth-macfarlane-is-a-complete-ass-and-you-dont-even-notice

Reply to this post

Response to niyad (Reply #24)

Wed Feb 27, 2013, 10:57 AM

26. have a great day

Reply to this post

Response to GRENADE (Reply #26)

Wed Feb 27, 2013, 12:19 PM

30. Now, that is probably the best way to respond.

Just wait until you've seen a variation of that paragraph 10,000 times.

Reply to this post

Response to Comrade Grumpy (Reply #30)

Wed Feb 27, 2013, 06:30 PM

32. perhaps if people were not making, or defending, sexist, misogynistic comments, paragraphs

like that would not be necessary. but, I won't hold my breath, considering some of the things I have seen on a board that is supposed to be fairly progressive.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 26, 2013, 04:51 PM

2. I didn't see the 'other' performance, but I'm always up ...

...for a good parody (of almost anything). I'm sure this was much better then what was parodied.

Thanks for the post, MP.

(on edit: typo I => I'm)

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 26, 2013, 04:52 PM

3. I had the same idea, but he forgot Sean Connery in Zardoz.

We saw Ben Stiller's junk in Something about Mary? Really? I didn't realize we saw it.

Reply to this post

Response to Ian David (Reply #3)

Tue Feb 26, 2013, 04:53 PM

4. Beans & Franks

Classic scene in the bathroom!!

Reply to this post

Response to RockaFowler (Reply #4)

Tue Feb 26, 2013, 04:58 PM

6. I remember that scene, but I don't think we saw the frank or the beans. n/t

Reply to this post

Response to Ian David (Reply #6)

Tue Feb 26, 2013, 05:04 PM

9. Okay, you're right. I found it. Although it's more like bits and pieces of it...

... sticking through a zipper.

There's a close-up on a sight called BoxingScene.com of all places.

I probably shouldn't link to it from here.

Reply to this post

Response to RockaFowler (Reply #4)

Tue Feb 26, 2013, 05:01 PM

7. I'm looking, though...

I'm looking, though...

Will Ferrell Gushes Over Ben Stiller's Penis: "Fun, Cute and Cuddly!"

<snip>

"Few people know that Ben has one of the most marvelous, exciting and vibrant penises I've ever seen," Ferrell joked as the packed ballroom at the Beverly Hilton erupted into laughter.

"I've seen it in the shower, in urinals and one time he just wanted to show it to me," he continued. "And every time I'm struck by the same thing: ‘Wow, that is a terrific and classy d--k.'"

The junk jokes didn't stop there.

"But don't get me wrong," Ferrell said, adding, "Sure, Ben's penis is dashing, elegant, some call it fun, cute and cuddly at times, but when it's time to go to work, that man gets the job done.

More:
http://www.eonline.com/news/363909/will-ferrell-gushes-over-ben-stiller-s-penis-fun-cute-and-cuddly

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 26, 2013, 04:54 PM

5. oh that equals things out. Because it's in front of an audience of a billion.

wait, it's not. And this is not about the word boobs

Reply to this post

Response to cali (Reply #5)

Tue Feb 26, 2013, 05:11 PM

11. I'm sorry.

But it really wasn't my intention to fix whatever problem you have with screaming sexism at the industry that has produced probably more self-made female millionaires and women in powerful positions than anything else.

Reply to this post

Response to MindPilot (Reply #11)

Tue Feb 26, 2013, 06:57 PM

16. You need to look a little closer at Hollywood...

...and the number of female directors, producers, and female acting roles -- especially for older females, or as the main movie protagonist.

Because of the sexism in the industry, the male point of view becomes the norm. Even many of the strong female roles are women trying to be good at being men -- e.g. "G.I Jane" as a rather blatant example. There are many other examples of women being bad-asses and kicking a lot of male butt, as though that is something women aspire to if they want to be "just as good" as men.

I understand there will be movies I don't like, and so what? They aren't put out there to cater to my tastes, and it would be horrible for creative types to censor themselves to try and remain politically correct. I love the movies, and I even like a lot of male-dominated movies like "Die Hard" and "Lethal Weapon" to name a couple of examples. But movies also help to define cultural norms, and as long as the industry is male-dominated then the movies will present primarily the male point of view, and thus they will serve to reinforce a cultural paradigm that really needs to be changed.

Reply to this post

Response to ljm2002 (Reply #16)

Tue Feb 26, 2013, 07:12 PM

17. It is not about what's on-screen.

That is what sells tickets, and we all know most of what sells tickets is, well, made to sell tickets.

But there are a lot--no it is not a perfect 50-50, but it is a lot--compared to even ten years ago of women who are agents, brokers, all that behind-the-scenes work that makes money and establishes power. There are powerful women in the industry.

But the film industry does not exist to change cultural norms; it exists to make money getting people to pay to watch a story told in pictures. Sometimes a film comes along that does have a huge positive social affect, but for the most part movies are made to feed our fantasies, not change them.

I'm curious to see how this will play out in the Hollywood Reporter, which is, despite the rhetoric, a somewhat right-leaning publication.

Reply to this post

Response to MindPilot (Reply #17)

Tue Feb 26, 2013, 07:26 PM

18. Where did I say it was about what's on-screen?????

Yes there is advancement compared to even ten years ago, but the statistics on how many women are directors or producers are still bad. And the more women that are working behind the scenes, even if not in one of those leading roles, the more the movies will begin to reflect the real changing cultural norms.

Of course movies don't exist to change cultural norms. But those of us who care about what the cultural norms are, can certainly see that Hollywood often works to reinforce the existing norms.

Sexism is very, very insidious because it is so very prevalent that people often don't even see it.

There's an ad I see online when I go to do the crossword puzzle at a certain site. It's a woman in high heels and a short sequined dress, walking saucily towards the camera as it pans up from the feet to the pelvic area, at which time you notice she's swinging a couple bottles of beer by her side. That's the ad: you don't even see her face, just the beer brand and the suggestion of sex.

It's just one example, and no I am not suggesting censorship, but I am suggesting that more women crafting the messages we see, whether in movies or in advertising, would probably result in less male-dominant BS like that.

Reply to this post

Response to MindPilot (Reply #17)

Wed Feb 27, 2013, 11:30 AM

27. actually, according to industry reports, it isn't really better than 10 years ago.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 26, 2013, 05:01 PM

8. Anthony Weiner Showed His Junk

And he had to resign. How is that fair?

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 26, 2013, 05:04 PM

10. There are many talented misogynists.

There are also talented bigots, racists, and haters.

We have been arguing whether or not this man did and said things that were degrading to women. If that were his intent, to get the conversation going, than lets freaking have it!

Whatever his intent, talent, or political stance, one thing is certain...

women's fight for equality is a real issue that deserves real discussion without snark or making fun of those who oppose misogyny.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 26, 2013, 05:13 PM

12. Meh.

Reply to this post

Response to tosh (Reply #12)

Tue Feb 26, 2013, 06:22 PM

14. Wow, that was thought-provoking.

Why did you bother?

Reply to this post

Response to MindPilot (Reply #14)

Wed Feb 27, 2013, 10:53 AM

25. LOL! You are right

and I am sorry but that really was my reaction to "I Saw Your Junk".

I really WANTED to like it, but...

edited to add: I do appreciate the effort, though.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 26, 2013, 07:42 PM

19. "We Saw Your Boobs" was part of a comic bit set up by William Shatner ...

It wasn't presented as "part of the show," per se, but as an example, shown by Shatner, beaming in from the future, of why MacFarlane would be thought of as the "worst Oscar host in history" IF he'd performed that song. It was a play within a play ... not presented as a straightforward part of the show.

The critics with their panties in a bunch about it were obviously Tweeting when the "set-up" was being presented.

I ROFLMAO at "We Saw Your Boobs" (I'm female, by the way). I think he was unfairly criticized for that particular part of the show, because it was SUPPOSED to be offensive in order to make the bit pay off at all! And it certainly seemed as if those actresses were in on the joke; their reactions were clearly pre-taped (J-Law's was the best of all!).

That said: MacFarlane wasn't the best, nor the worst host I've seen in four decades of watching the Oscars.

I won't completely defend MacFarlane for the rest of the show; he did deliver a lot of inappropriate jokes -- some in very bad taste (sexist, racist, anti-Semitic). But I turned on the Oscars knowing he would probably do that, because, though I don't regularly watch "Family Guy," I was familiar with MacFarlane's brand of comedy because I, you know, like, read newspapers and stuff. His work has been covered so extensively that I'm really surprised people weren't familiar with him.

Oscar hosts are trashed every single year anymore -- no matter what they do. It's a completely thankless job.

I like this piece on Esquire.com ... if he'd fawned, everyone would know he was being dishonest (because of his brand of comedy, which both embraces and fiendishly mocks celebrity and pop culture). If he skewers too lightly, he'll alienate the part of the audience who wants to see that. It's easy to skewer too heavily. It's a delicate balancing act.

http://www.esquire.com/blogs/culture/oscars-review-marche

"... Macfarlane was in an impossible position. If he actually praised celebrities, everyone would know he was faking it, and would probably have read it as ironic. If he mocked celebrities, he would have to be genuinely cruel to be funny. The temptation to pull a Ricky Gervais must have been fierce. When John Travolta walked on stage, you could practically feel Macfarlane holding back from a gay scientologist joke. In the end, he couldn't be genuine enough to be warm, and he couldn't be cruel enough to be funny. He split the difference and was cold and bland.
"It's easy to say Macfarlane was just a bad host. But Steve Martin couldn't span the same chasm and neither could David Letterman, who every night for thirty years has walked the line between loving celebrities and mocking them ..."

Reply to this post

Response to gauguin57 (Reply #19)

Wed Feb 27, 2013, 09:55 AM

22. I read, like, you know, newspapers and stuff, but not so much the entertainment sections, so

even though being fairly well-read, still had not heard of him. only caught a few of his remarks, but they were, indeed, tasteless, sexist, racist and anti-semitic. based on that, have no interest in becoming further acquainted with his brand of 'humour"

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 27, 2013, 09:55 AM

23. Yes, I find this omission of context baffling

Are people intentionally mischaracterizing the song as a stand-alone part of the show or are they just incapable of grasping it as a joke within a joke?

The more criticisms I read, the more I think some people just didn't get what was going on and took it at face value. It would be like someone reading Swift's A Modest Proposal and getting outraged that he wants us to eat Irish children.

I did not watch the show (I don't particularly care about the Oscars, honestly), and I'm not a fan of MacFarlane, at least based on what I've seen in Family Guy. It isn't even really the offensive side of his humor (I'm a fan of some of the old National Lampoon from the '70s) so much as he just runs his gags into the ground.

But I think it sounds like the controversy around the boobs bit is really overblown.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 27, 2013, 11:39 AM

28. Regarding Dave Letterman, I haven't been nearly as hardcore a fan since

he went from genuine and open mocking of any celebrity that took him/herself too seriously (back in his NBC days) to completely ass-kissy, as he seems to be most of the time these days.

He still has his moments of greatness from time to time (see Trump), but those are still too few and far between.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 27, 2013, 08:26 AM

21. Just because he's liberal doesn't mean I have to like him. (And I don't.)

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 27, 2013, 12:01 PM

29. Oh, that was awesome!

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 27, 2013, 12:22 PM

31. Liberals CAN be sexist

It happens

I love McFarlane as much as the next guy, but he can be sexist. Gore Vidal can be racist. Other Liberals have shown signs of sexism at times, and it is in our Patriarchial DNA

When that happens, best thing to do is point out the sexism, but don't attack the liberal. Just let them know what they did. Most, well at least here, are open to constructive criticism.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread