HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Holder: Feds to set pot l...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Feb 26, 2013, 02:21 PM

Holder: Feds to set pot legalization response 'relatively soon'

By JOSH GERSTEIN | 2/26/13 11:43 AM EST

The federal government is nearly ready to announce how its law enforcement personnel and prosecutors will respond to the decision Colorado and Washington voters made in November to legalize marijuana use in their states, Attorney General Eric Holder said Tuesday.

"We’re still in the process of reviewing both of the initiatives that were passed," Holder said at a morning appearance, answering a question from Colorado Attorney General John Suthers. "I would say, and I mean this, that you’ll hear soon."

"We are, I think, in our last stages of that review, and are trying to make a determination as to what the policy ramifications are going to be, what our international obligations are. There are a whole variety of things that go into this determination," Holder said. "But the people in and Washington deserve that answer and we will have that, as I said, relatively soon."

http://www.politico.com/blogs/under-the-radar/2013/02/holder-feds-to-set-pot-legalization-response-relatively-157895.html

Pot Patent
Pharma company already awarded part of patent
Federal Medical Marijuana Prisoners and Cases

23 replies, 1444 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 23 replies Author Time Post
Reply Holder: Feds to set pot legalization response 'relatively soon' (Original post)
green for victory Feb 2013 OP
msongs Feb 2013 #1
datasuspect Feb 2013 #2
RKP5637 Feb 2013 #4
indie9197 Feb 2013 #6
RKP5637 Feb 2013 #3
arcane1 Feb 2013 #8
Comrade Grumpy Feb 2013 #9
green for victory Feb 2013 #10
Upton Feb 2013 #13
green for victory Feb 2013 #15
Upton Feb 2013 #18
Shampoobra Feb 2013 #22
Comrade Grumpy Feb 2013 #16
green for victory Feb 2013 #17
Comrade Grumpy Feb 2013 #5
madokie Feb 2013 #7
RKP5637 Feb 2013 #14
dmosh42 Feb 2013 #11
TheKentuckian Feb 2013 #12
Warren DeMontague Feb 2013 #19
NightWatcher Feb 2013 #20
Mr.Bill Feb 2013 #21
woo me with science Feb 2013 #23

Response to green for victory (Original post)

Tue Feb 26, 2013, 02:24 PM

1. fed have to keep those privatized prisons full so corporations can make $$ nt

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Feb 26, 2013, 02:27 PM

2. the drug war is a huge profit center

no way will they allow competition on that racket.

Reply to this post

Response to datasuspect (Reply #2)

Tue Feb 26, 2013, 02:30 PM

4. One can be sure it's all about $$$$$ first, and people last. n/t

Reply to this post

Response to datasuspect (Reply #2)

Tue Feb 26, 2013, 02:35 PM

6. The drug war is also a cover

for all kinds of CIA operations not to mention an excuse for domestic spying, search and seizure etc. It's a great crisis or "war" for them since it will never end!

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 26, 2013, 02:29 PM

3. It will probably be administered by 'USA Pot, Inc.' with a no bid contract

... for Corp. Profit/Welfare and a hefty handout to Big Pharma. And those non-compliant can help fill the fed prisons as national security risks ... and a number with indefinite detention. Pot is just sooo dangerous to the future of humanity.

Reply to this post

Response to RKP5637 (Reply #3)

Tue Feb 26, 2013, 02:47 PM

8. Yep, and if you grow your own, you'll go to jail for patent infringement n/t

Reply to this post

Response to arcane1 (Reply #8)

Tue Feb 26, 2013, 02:55 PM

9. Yeah, because that's what's happening now.

I hear this canard repeated every so often. I think it originated with the "No on I-502" ultras in Washington state.

Scientists at NIDA claimed a couple of cannabindoid patents, but there are also dozens, if not hundreds, of other patents on cannabinoids, some by leading medical marijuana researchers. GW Pharma has patented a couple of particular strains to make Sativex.

Nobody has patented cannabis sativa (or indica, for that matter).

Reply to this post

Response to Comrade Grumpy (Reply #9)

Tue Feb 26, 2013, 03:00 PM

10. The Feds patented the use of cannabinoids in 2003

Some of us have been working to get the word out since mid decade, when it became widely known. By the way, Washington State did not legalize pot. See: Decriminalization

And even the Feds can't patent Sativa or Indica (yet- See Monsanto)

Reply to this post

Response to green for victory (Reply #10)

Tue Feb 26, 2013, 03:09 PM

13. As a Washington state resident..

the passage of I-502 means it's legal for me to possess anything up to an ounce. Another provision of the initiative provides for the setting up of pot stores run by the state. I call that legalization.

Reply to this post

Response to Upton (Reply #13)

Tue Feb 26, 2013, 03:21 PM

15. "I call that legalization." But it's not. Can't have a real debate when words mean

different things to different people.

Washington State Decriminalized up to an ounce of pot, if bought from the State Stores (which, as you know, haven't opened yet) and if Eric Holder prevails, will not ever open.

If you grow a single plant (without MM "Permission"), you're committing a felony.

That is a fact, you can call it what you want but it doesn't change bupkis.

Decriminalization or Decriminalisation is the abolition of criminal penalties in relation to certain acts, perhaps retroactively, though perhaps regulated permits or fines might still apply (for contrast, see: Legalization). The reverse process is criminalization.

Decriminalization reflects changing social and moral views. A society may come to the view that an act is not harmful, should no longer be criminalized, or is otherwise not a matter to be addressed by the criminal justice system. Examples of subject matter which have been the subject of changing views on criminality over time in various societies and countries include:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decriminalization

Reply to this post

Response to green for victory (Reply #15)

Tue Feb 26, 2013, 03:44 PM

18. It's illegal to make your own moonshine too..

yet hard liquor, which has numerous restrictions placed on it and up until recently was sold exclusively by the state stores, is considered legal, no just decriminalized..

Reply to this post

Response to green for victory (Reply #15)

Wed Feb 27, 2013, 12:58 AM

22. If we're using Wikipedia as a reference guide...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Initiative_502

"Initiative 502 defined and distinguished marijuana from other parts of the cannabis plant, legalizing small amounts of marijuana-related products for most adults, to tax them, and designate the revenue for healthcare and substance-abuse prevention and education."

Reply to this post

Response to green for victory (Reply #10)

Tue Feb 26, 2013, 03:22 PM

16. What do you think that means in the real world?

That a couple of NIDA scientists have a couple of cannabinoid patents? And what about all the othre cannabinoid patents?

And again with the "it's not legalization" canard. Possession of up to an ounce is LEGAL, not decriminalized. They don't take your weed and make you pay a fine...because it's legal!

Decriminalized means not a criminal offense, but a civil infraction, like a traffic offense. Still against the law, not legal.

Is this complete, full legalization? No. That would be the tomato model. But, provided the federal government doesn't try to block it, Washington will have a legal, regulated system of marijuana commerce.

Reply to this post

Response to Comrade Grumpy (Reply #16)

Tue Feb 26, 2013, 03:23 PM

17. If you actually read the patent you will see who the patent has been awarded to. n/t

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 26, 2013, 02:33 PM

5. The feds don't know what the hell to do.

They were blindsided by the legalization victories in November. It is already legal to posses small amounts in Colorado and Washington and to cultivate a few plants in Colorado. That is not going away no matter what the feds do. They can't make states prohibit marijuana.

They are left with trying to block regulation, taxation, and legal marijuana commerce. If they manage to do that, we have a situation where pot is legal, but there are no legal sales and no taxes. It would be analagous to the current state of affairs regarding medical marijuana in California. The feds could make some exemplary busts and try to scare people, but they can't bust everybody, and the power of greed is strong.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 26, 2013, 02:41 PM

7. I know it won't happen

but damn it would make my dream come true if they'd say hey enough is enough, release everyone incarcerated and make restitution, drop all charges and lets get on with more serious endeavors. The people have spoken.

Reply to this post

Response to madokie (Reply #7)

Tue Feb 26, 2013, 03:19 PM

14. +++ 1,000,000 +++ The crap needs to stop, but it won't, so time and money is

frittered away on crap like this ... so the lemmings and guppies element of society think they are doing something, the big tough feds. They really need to get onto the important stuff than their F'en pot wars. ... but since when do they give a F about 'we the people.' The people in this country are treated like disgruntled employees in USA, Inc.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 26, 2013, 03:04 PM

11. This is the only topic Holder thinks he knows about!

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 26, 2013, 03:08 PM

12. Probably still calibrating their snark.

Gotta have zingers!

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 26, 2013, 03:49 PM

19. My Nostradamus-like sense of prediction says it will be this- "you're all going to jail"

However, as a compromise, we'll offer to let you out on the weekends to go to Marijuana Anonymous meetings.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 26, 2013, 03:52 PM

20. Hey Holder, are you nauseous from your medicine and in pain from a disease with no cure?

If not, STFU and leave us alone. We dont want heroin or crack, but a plant that makes us feel better in the short term.

Ok?

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 26, 2013, 04:24 PM

21. Last weekend a friend of my grandson was arrested for marijuana.

He has a California medical marijuana card and was on a camping trip. He forgot he was in California, but in a National Park on Federal land. He had a quarter oz of pot and he is being charged with a Federal felony.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 27, 2013, 01:03 AM

23. Probably something like this:

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread