HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » DC killing off Batman's '...

Mon Feb 25, 2013, 10:10 AM

DC killing off Batman's 'Boy Wonder' Damien Wayne in new comic book

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/holy_hit_job_robin_eats_it_kZ9EWvYlw10mf4wS324GhN

Robin the Boy Wonder, Batman’s aide-de-camp, will be killed battling a brutal enemy in a comic book published Wednesday. The shocking demise of the Dark Knight’s sidekick will first appear in issue No. 8 of the offshoot title “Batman Incorporated,” but the aftermath of his death will ripple throughout the DC Comics universe, the publisher confirmed exclusively to The Post. "He saves the world. He does his job as Robin,” writer Grant Morrison said. “He dies an absolute hero.”

Robin — a k a Damian Wayne, the 10-year-old son of Bruce Wayne — is slain fighting a hulking assassin who happens to be, in true comic-book form, a “brother” cloned from his genetic material. And — SPOILER ALERT ! — unlike all the times he has swooped in at the last minute, Batman arrives too late to save his protégé.

A number of heroes have filled the role of Robin over the decades, including the first and best known, Dick Grayson, introduced in 1940. The latest Robin, however, was the brilliant and caustic Damian, the illegitimate son of billionaire Bruce Wayne and Talia, the beautiful daughter of one of his deadliest enemies, Ra’s al Ghul.

Morrison, one of the industry’s top talents, brings an adult perspective to the grim tale. Robin’s death, he said, will illustrate how parents lose sight of their kids when they fight. “It’s all about the family and the family going to hell,” said Morrison, who threw in elements of his own parents’ divorce. “The two adults in the story are both culpable. The kid’s the good guy.” Morrison, who brought Damian to the forefront in 2006, said he had created a full arc for the character, who grew from a violent, fledgling assassin to a selfless leader. “What we did was turn this little monster into a superhero,” he said. “He’s a little brat, but he’s a super-brat.”

Damian isn’t the first Robin to die, but he’s the first to die at the height of his popularity with fans. In 1988, a few years after Grayson moved on, the next Robin — the disliked, surly Jason Todd — was slain by the Joker after an infamous phone poll let fans choose whether the teen should be killed off. Todd was resurrected in 2005. So who knows if Damian will stay dead, or if a new Boy (or perhaps Girl) Wonder will take his place. Noted Morrison: “You can never say never in a comic book . . . Batman will ultimately always have a partner.”

9 replies, 1380 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 9 replies Author Time Post
Reply DC killing off Batman's 'Boy Wonder' Damien Wayne in new comic book (Original post)
Peter cotton Feb 2013 OP
Shadowflash Feb 2013 #1
Robb Feb 2013 #3
Shadowflash Feb 2013 #6
Peter cotton Feb 2013 #7
Shadowflash Feb 2013 #8
Tempest Feb 2013 #2
theKed Feb 2013 #4
TlalocW Feb 2013 #5
Gorp Feb 2013 #9

Response to Peter cotton (Original post)

Mon Feb 25, 2013, 10:17 AM

1. Again?

I wish they would come up with something original. Or interesting. Or both.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Shadowflash (Reply #1)

Mon Feb 25, 2013, 10:22 AM

3. That gig's more perilous than Al Qaeda's #3 guy.

Reply to this post

Response to Robb (Reply #3)

Mon Feb 25, 2013, 10:31 AM

6. No doubt.

Reply to this post

Response to Shadowflash (Reply #1)

Mon Feb 25, 2013, 10:35 AM

7. How many Batman stories have been published at this point?

Even taking into account that many stories span multiple issues, just how many individual stories featuring Batman or one of his many other cast members (Batgirl, any of the various Robins, etc.) have been written? At least ten thousand, certainly.

At what point does the well run dry?

Reply to this post

Response to Peter cotton (Reply #7)

Mon Feb 25, 2013, 10:37 AM

8. I'm not sure when that point was...

but it was a LONG time ago.

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 25, 2013, 10:21 AM

2. Yawn.

They've killed him off in the past, they'll revive him later only to kill him off again.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 25, 2013, 10:27 AM

4. Meh.

I've never much cared for the Damien Wayne character, frankly. Good riddance to a crappy storyline.

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 25, 2013, 10:28 AM

5. The best part of the call-in poll to see if the 80s Robin should survive

Was Penn & Teller saying something like, "A telephone poll to see if your partner should live or die? We should have thought of that."

TlalocW

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 25, 2013, 12:34 PM

9. I know it's movie, not comic book, but what about the new movie series?

I've seen it said that "Dark Night Rises" will be the last of this series, they threw in a cliff-hanger (out for the series) when the cop who sided with Wayne revealed that his first name was "Robin" at the very end of the movie.

Other movie series have had their kill-off and regenerate moments, which personally I think is due to dollar signs floating around in front of executives' eyes. My favorite was after Freddy was killed off and buried in a junk yard, for the next movie they had a dog piss on his grave and fire came out of the dog's penis, apparently resurrecting Freddy.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread