HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Big Pimpin’: Is Mark Zuck...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Feb 25, 2013, 08:44 AM

Big Pimpin’: Is Mark Zuckerberg profiting off Thailand’s sex industry?

Pretty much anyone who’s driven through Bangkok’s streets, taken a ride on the Skytrain or spent any time at all in the Thai capital has seen signs of the city’s world-renowned prostitution industry.

It’s no surprise, I suppose, that advertising of this sort would migrate to the internet… but recently I’ve been a bit surprised to see ads for local “gentlemen’s clubs” in my Facebook feed.

That’s right, establishments with suggestive names involving words like “pimp” and “x-girls” have been detracting (distracting?) from my Facebook user experience with right-hand sidebar ads urging me to “swim with a bunny this afternoon” or to party at a cosplay high school where there’s “no teacher, no rules 555+.” Images of young women in the scantiest of clothing, wearing fake eyelashes and colored contact lenses accompany these calls to action.

I wonder if ol’ Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg is aware that his multi-billion dollar operation may be profiting indirectly from Thailand’s notorious sex industry?

Probably not. But maybe he does.

After all, somebody at Facebook definitely knows, because every ad on the social network must be approved by the company before posting.

http://www.coconutsbangkok.com/news/big-pimpin-is-mark-zuckerberg-profiting-off-thailands-sex-industry/

9 replies, 1299 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 9 replies Author Time Post
Reply Big Pimpin’: Is Mark Zuckerberg profiting off Thailand’s sex industry? (Original post)
HiPointDem Feb 2013 OP
dipsydoodle Feb 2013 #1
jberryhill Feb 2013 #2
Tempest Feb 2013 #3
Gorp Feb 2013 #4
datasuspect Feb 2013 #6
Gorp Feb 2013 #7
datasuspect Feb 2013 #8
Gorp Feb 2013 #9
datasuspect Feb 2013 #5

Response to HiPointDem (Original post)

Mon Feb 25, 2013, 08:54 AM

1. There are instances

where ads are actually linked to other searches. I can remember searching pork pie hats and for a while afterwards ads for those appeared on many sites other I visit including the Guardian. Same happened when I searched for some new sofas too.

Makes me wonder what the author of the article had previously searched.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Feb 25, 2013, 09:00 AM

2. ...or the ad feed is being hi-jacked by his browser or ISP

I gather the author has confirmed that isn't the situation, but the article doesn't say.

Reply to this post

Response to jberryhill (Reply #2)

Mon Feb 25, 2013, 10:06 AM

3. The ads are embedded on FB pages

The browser and ISP are not involved.

FB approves all their ads and does the coding for the embedded links themselves.

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 25, 2013, 11:53 AM

4. It wouldn't shock me. Who knows, maybe he takes advantage of it personally.

CraigsList has a similar problem in the US. An interesting irony is that the police departments are using CraigsList to find and bust hookers and johns in sting operations.

Reply to this post

Response to Gorp (Reply #4)

Response to datasuspect (Reply #6)

Mon Feb 25, 2013, 11:56 AM

7. "LEOs"??? Don't know the TLA.

Reply to this post

Response to Gorp (Reply #7)

Response to datasuspect (Reply #8)

Mon Feb 25, 2013, 12:10 PM

9. Ah, thanks. My first thought in seeing your reply was "politically correct term for 'cops'."

But LEOs is quite a bit more broad. I've had LEOs as friends since I was myself a regular offender (high school) and originally they didn't like the term "cop", taking it as disrespectful, but over time I hear/read more and more instances of them saying things like "a fellow cop" instead of "a fellow officer".

I'm not entirely sure why there was the transition or even why it became a disrespectful term to begin with other than what I've seen in movies about British bobbies being called "coppers" by bad guys. I don't even know where "coppers" came from, but admittedly I'm bewildered by the majority of British slang.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread