HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » El corazón de Cuba!
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sun Feb 24, 2013, 05:35 PM

El corazón de Cuba!

The US needs to stop treating Cuba like the devil incarnate, and normalize relations between such a close neighbor. The Cuban people would benefit greatly. I believe that the governments could work this out today. I hope they don't wait long...

I know this is pie in the sky, but am I so wrong? I await your responses.

9 replies, 867 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to AAO (Original post)

Sun Feb 24, 2013, 05:47 PM

1. I agree

I'm sure pressure from the right is the reason that we have not pursued this.

There is just too much outcry from the right. We can't even deal with gun control and the sequester, much less loonies like Ted Cruz etc.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sun Feb 24, 2013, 06:15 PM

2. Well, of course

We have "normal" relations with China and Vietnam, two of the other (few) remaining "communist" countries. Why not Cuba? It's silly and stupid to continue to demonize that country. Besides, I'd like to visit it sometime!

Reply to this post

Response to Glorfindel (Reply #2)

Sun Feb 24, 2013, 06:25 PM

3. I did visit it with a group from my church

Beautiful country with friendly people (better brush up your high school Spanish, though, because not many people speak English) and fantastic music and art. The government is doing a great job of restoring the Old City, which, ironically, was saved by the revolution: Batista wanted to bulldoze it and build "modern" office buildings.

A lot of restrictions have been loosened. Small private businesses are allowed, and religious groups are allowed to operate freely.

The thing that bothered me most was the economic divide between people who have access to hard currency (because they're in the tourist trade, can travel abroad, or have relatives overseas) and the people who don't. Those with hard currency can buy just about anything, while those without it are pretty much stuck at a Third World standard of living.

There were classic American cars around, but half or more were from Eastern Europe or China. The city buses in Havana were a motley assortment of buses from other countries, including old schoolbuses from Canada.

If you can find a group with a license to travel there, you can go. Sure, I went with my church, but museums, college alumni associations, and commercial travel companies also offer tours.

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 24, 2013, 06:25 PM

4. If it hadn't been for the embargo, the Cuban people would've got rid of Fidel in the 80s or 90s

Economic opportunity sinks any totalitarian who's not willing to gun down his own people. Fidel had his up-against-the-wall-you-dissident moments, but by an large lacked the character for wholesale slaughter of civilians. Hell, he even sent a few of the Bay of Pigs vets back to Florida. If we had just let a little more Mickey Mouse and Levi Strauss into Cuba, let a few spoiled suburbanites from Denver and Connecticut soak up the sun on those beaches and mix with the locals, I'm sure the Cubanos would've been clamoring that they wanted their MTV too. Capitalism rocks nads and it sure as hell would've made that aging beatnik fall along with the Berlin Wall.

It's an old lesson from history, at least as old as the Battle of Britain: if you hammer a people together, they huddle together in unity. The embargo saved communism in Cuba. And it taught millions of people how to fix up old cars.

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 24, 2013, 06:26 PM

5. Will the Ros-lecithins, Diaz-Bullshits, Ted "Carnival" CRUZ wingnuts go back & take over?!1

It'll be wall to wall Las Vegas!1

My question: What-oh-what did the Cuban PEOPLE do to deserve the a-holes from both ends of the political spectrum lording it over them

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 24, 2013, 07:11 PM

6. But the embargo might start working any day now!

You can't give up on something if you only try it for 52 years. Buncha quitters!

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 24, 2013, 07:32 PM

7. The rest of the civilized world has normalized relationship with Cuba

Only the US still maintains these illogical boycotts and totally idiotic travel bans.

As a Canadian, I can book a vacation tomorrow in any number of Cuban resorts. And from what I've heard, the Cuban people are lovely, warm and welcoming.

I'm astounded that a statistically insignificant number of ex-pat Cubans in Florida can hold hostage the entire foreign policy of America.

Can politicians finally acknowledge that these pro-Battista nutcases are NOT a significant voting bloc??

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 24, 2013, 08:02 PM

8. They won't do it until the Castros are gone

which may not be long now, actually; and Raul just announced his retirement. I bet after Raul is dead/retired and Fidel is dead, that we open up.

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 24, 2013, 09:46 PM

9. Unfortunatley, a group of bitter senile old farts in Miami wants our government to say otherwise.

Can't these people just let it go already?

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread