HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Carter in Oscarland: The ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sun Feb 24, 2013, 10:08 AM

Carter in Oscarland: The Rehabilitation of the 39th President

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/02/24/carter-in-oscarland-the-rehabilitation-of-the-39th-president.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+thedailybeast%2Fpolitics+%28The+Daily+Beast+-+Politics%29

Only a few weeks ago, Lincoln was assumed to be the surefire winner of the Academy Award for Best Picture. Not since Gregory Peck in 1962’s To Kill a Mockingbird has an actor performed with the unforgettable gravitas of Daniel Day-Lewis playing Abraham Lincoln in the months before his assassination. But a funny thing happened when the horses turned the bend at the Golden Globe Awards. Argo, based on a CIA-led rescue mission in 1980 that smuggled six American diplomats out of Tehran at the tail end of Carter’s presidency, suddenly has all the Oscar momentum. And, in a serendipitous way, Hollywood is according some newfound respect to the Man from Plains. It is a happy coincidence that Argo came out within months of Carter’s grandson, James Carter IV, releasing Mitt Romney’s idiotic (and now infamous) 47 percent speech in Boca Raton. This political leak, combined with the release of the film, has turned the ex-president into a new cult favorite among many Democrats who had previously been disenchanted with him over some of his recent views on Middle Eastern affairs.

In both his Second Inaugural Address and his 2013 State of the Union address, President Obama evoked climate change as the ultimate challenge of the 21st century. But it was Carter who first crusaded for the U.S. to wean itself off of its dependence on oil. As president, he signed into law the National Energy Act and the Public Utilities Regulatory Policy Act (both of which championed conservation and domestic energy supply development). Long before it was trendy, Carter preached the gospel of alternative energy. He even created the U.S. Department of Energy, in part to inspire new wind-solar-fuel-cell alternatives to oil and coal. Stones were thrown his way in response. One of the first things Ronald Reagan did upon assuming the presidency in 1981 was to tear down the solar panels that Carter had installed on the White House’s roof. Carter – Mr. Clean Energy – had become the butt of innumerable jokes. But, in hindsight, he was right to worry fiercely about our dangerous addiction to fossil fuels.
What’s also making Carter’s rehabilitation interesting is the “I didn’t know that” factor. Carter, for example, almost doubled the size of the National Park Service as president. Only Theodore Roosevelt and FDR were his equal in the conservation realm. The Alaska National Interest Lands Conservation Act of 1980 alone created or expanded 15 National Park Service sites, and 79.5 million protected acres. If it weren’t for Carter, wild Alaska today would be despoiled beyond recognition. Carter also deserves credit for establishing Channel Islands National Park in Southern California, the favorite marine paradise of many in the movie industry, and for protecting the Dakota Badlands from ruin. Additionally, his Superfund law has led to the cleanup of dozens of toxic waste sites throughout the country. In my estimation, the greatest environmental speech ever delivered to Congress was Carter’s stunningly prescient May 23, 1977 message.

..............more

38 replies, 3568 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 38 replies Author Time Post
Reply Carter in Oscarland: The Rehabilitation of the 39th President (Original post)
graham4anything Feb 2013 OP
Laelth Feb 2013 #1
Ninga Feb 2013 #2
ProSense Feb 2013 #3
Honeycombe8 Feb 2013 #4
graham4anything Feb 2013 #5
Honeycombe8 Feb 2013 #14
graham4anything Feb 2013 #16
Honeycombe8 Feb 2013 #17
graham4anything Feb 2013 #19
Honeycombe8 Feb 2013 #38
HiPointDem Feb 2013 #34
bluestate10 Feb 2013 #25
graham4anything Feb 2013 #26
thesquanderer Feb 2013 #6
graham4anything Feb 2013 #10
Honeycombe8 Feb 2013 #20
Spitfire of ATJ Feb 2013 #15
grahamhgreen Feb 2013 #7
ProSense Feb 2013 #9
Uncle Joe Feb 2013 #8
tabasco Feb 2013 #11
freshwest Feb 2013 #32
ananda Feb 2013 #12
Honeycombe8 Feb 2013 #22
Spazito Feb 2013 #13
disndat Feb 2013 #18
disndat Feb 2013 #21
bluestate10 Feb 2013 #23
freshwest Feb 2013 #33
padruig Feb 2013 #24
BWCC Feb 2013 #27
graham4anything Feb 2013 #28
BWCC Feb 2013 #29
graham4anything Feb 2013 #30
HiPointDem Feb 2013 #35
tabasco Feb 2013 #37
Progressive dog Feb 2013 #31
HiPointDem Feb 2013 #36

Response to graham4anything (Original post)

Sun Feb 24, 2013, 10:26 AM

1. k&r for James Earl Carter, Jr. He makes me proud to be a Georgian. n/t

-Laelth

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sun Feb 24, 2013, 10:30 AM

2. A full comprehension of history isa wonderful thing, thank you for this OP.

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 24, 2013, 10:33 AM

3. Jimmy Carter: ‘Argo’ Was Good, But Inaccurate (VIDEO)

Jimmy Carter: ‘Argo’ Was Good, But Inaccurate (VIDEO)

Former President Jimmy Carter said in an interview that aired Thursday that while he enjoyed the movie "Argo," a leading contender for the top prize of best picture at this Sunday's Academy Awards, the film strayed from the facts.

The movie depicts an incredible rescue operation of six American diplomats stranded in Iran after the 1979 hostage crisis, a key moment in the Carter presidency. But Carter told CNN's Piers Morgan that the operation was largely orchestrated by Canadian ambassador Ken Taylor, whose home served as asylum for the diplomats after they escaped from the U.S. embassy in Tehran, and that the film gives too much credit to the Central Intelligence Agency.

"Well, let me say first of all, it's a great drama. And I hope it gets the Academy Award for best film because I think it deserves it," Carter said. "The other thing that I would say was that 90 percent of the contributions to the ideas and the consummation of the plan was Canadian. And the movie gives almost full credit to the American CIA. And with that exception, the movie is very good."

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/jimmy-carter-argo-was-good-but-inaccurate-video

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 24, 2013, 10:35 AM

4. Yeah, he gets a bad rap. But the economy trumps everything.

And in that area, he was the unfortunate beneficiary of a terrible economy that didn't get better, as election time neared. It was a foregone conclusion that he was going to lose. If he had stepped aside and let someone else run, the Dems might well have won that election, although we'll never know.

But altho I was very young, I really did like and admire Carter, and even at the time I thought he was getting unfairly pummeled for things.

But Argo doesn't give Carter any credit for the rescue operation, and rightly so. He wasn't involved, really, except to rubber stamp it. It was mainly Canadian.

Reply to this post

Response to Honeycombe8 (Reply #4)

Sun Feb 24, 2013, 11:21 AM

5. This is not true at all.

It was nearly tied going into the last week

John Anderson's 3rd party run took 7% of the vote

The one thing that probably could have won the election was if Ted kennedy became the VP
and the two together worked together instead of against

Of all the times for Ted to run, 1980 was not the race. (could have, should have been 1972, 1975, 1984, 1988, 1992)

Shows what happens when Democratic party fractures and doesn't stick together.

Shows the genius of President Obama and Hillary Clinton coming together for 4 terms
part and parcel. Shows the genius of letting Bill Clinton do what he does best
(as opposed to the inanity of Al Gore ditching Bill).

As the gas shortage was part of the Iranian problem, had there not been sabatoge Jimmy Carter would have won a landslide.

And as stated in a different thread, 1977-1978-first half of 1979 were perhaps the happiest years ever in America.

President Obama took all the good things of Jimmy Carter, and was perfect in the one thing Carter was not good at, which was politics itself.

I myself rank Jimmy Carter at #5 after Lincoln, FDR, LBJ & President Obama himself.

And had we listened to Jimmy Carter, we wouldn't need any gasoline or oil whatsoever in 2013.

If only democratic voters had been smarter, but then they did it in 1968 and again in 2000.
Which is why hopefully there will be no major primary challenge in 2016 and 2020 and forever more. Fracture makes for losing.

Reply to this post

Response to graham4anything (Reply #5)

Sun Feb 24, 2013, 12:09 PM

14. As I recall, it was a foregone conclusion that Carter would lose. The Party leaders asked him not to

run again, because they knew, as we all did, that he would almost certain to lose.

If they were close in the polls until near the end, it's because (1) polls weren't that reliable then, and (2) most people did what I did....made their decision in the last days before the election.

Although I loved Carter, I, like most of the country, voted for Reagan. Reagan won in a landslide. My feeling was that Carter simply couldn't handle the economy of the country, that a game change was needed. If it didn't come from the Democratic Party, then it would have to be the Republican Party.

I have no regrets. Carter really couldn't handle the economy. It was scary what was going on. Interest rates kept climbing, nearing the election. The interest rate to buy a house or car was over 20%. Poor and middle class people were squeezed out of the economy, since they weren't able to benefit, investing wise, from the high interest rates.

Reply to this post

Response to Honeycombe8 (Reply #14)

Sun Feb 24, 2013, 12:20 PM

16. Reagan ONLY won 50.8% of the vote. That is not a landslide in popular vote.

If one loved Jimmy Carter, they voted for Jimmy Carter in the general election.
Those that voted for Teddy in the primaries who didn't vote for Jimmy in the election made a major mistake.

I am sure you are very happy with the results for not voting democratic in the general election.
I would hope you have not been one to complain about anything since then.

Just like any Ralph Nader fan has ZERO right to complain about anything from 2000-on.
(yet they think nothing of doing just that).

And again, 1977 and 1978 and the start of 1979 were the happiest years in American History.

Not to mention Reagan was asleep for 7 years while a million died from A.I.D.S. before he did a damn thing.

Reagan ranks in my books as the worst president of all time.
Because of him we got 41 and 43.
EVEN Nixon ranks alot higher, and Nixon was smart enough not to give 41 the VP he so desperately wanted after Agnew was seen going to have to resign.
Reagan on the other hand, ushered in the Bush's to overt power (as opposed to their covert power they earlier had).

Reply to this post

Response to graham4anything (Reply #16)

Sun Feb 24, 2013, 12:49 PM

17. Look at the map. It's a landslide. He won almost every state in the electoral college vote.

You're focusing entirely on Carter's numbers, whereas in that election there was something that most presidential elections don't have - a strong independent candidate who got millions of votes.

I was young, but I figured he'd lose. The party leaders knew he was likely to lose. They wanted another candidate. Once he wouldn't step aside, the party got behind him. Carter was well liked, but his approval numbers were consistently low, and altho polling showed Carter and Reagan were close in the months before the election, I don't think Carter ever broke 40%...over 50% of the country consistently indicating they were going to vote for someone else. And in the FINAL mos before the election, all the leading polls (I just looked it up) did indeed show Reagan over Carter (add Anderson's numbers to Reagan's, and you can see that Carter was going to lose).

It was POSSIBLE that Carter would eke out a win. But not likely.

My voting for Reagan...it worked. The country's economy turned around. It didn't get drastically better, as I recall, but the rising inflation stopped. What a relief. So I didn't vote for him again. A game change WAS needed. But of course I was not in favor of how Reagan did it. So once the path of inflationary destruction was corrected, there was no need to vote for the game changer again.

Had Carter stepped aside, as he was asked to do by those in the know, there would have been no need for millions to vote for someone else. I waited for something, anything, to give me a reason to vote for Carter, that he would do something or show signs of being able to handle the economy. But the signs didn't come. So I did what most other people in the country did.

The economy - it was hurting the poor and the middle class enormously. Inflation at 20%? Can you imagine food going up 20%? There was no thought of buying a house or car at 20% interest rate. Wealthy people can handle high inflation like that because they have much more expendable income.

Reply to this post

Response to Honeycombe8 (Reply #17)

Sun Feb 24, 2013, 12:55 PM

19. Reagan bankrupt America for decades. It most certainly did NOT work

you sure do have it backwards.

but this is America, and you are free to vote for reagan and Bush as a Bush will be running in 2016. If you liked Reagan and Bush, what's not to like in Jeb?

It sure was great for the million people who died from AIDS while Reagan and Bush ignored them completely. Their blood is on their hands just from that alone.

Ralph Nader fans still think they were right too.
makes me wonder- who did Ralph Nader vote for in 1980?

Again, MOST other people would be 80 or 90% of the people.

Reagan barely got over 50%.

Reply to this post

Response to graham4anything (Reply #19)

Tue Feb 26, 2013, 12:32 AM

38. It did indeed change the trajectory. It went too far the other way...

so there was the ability to go left again. Unfortunately, the Dem Party ran Mondale against Reagan. (Believe it or not, Mondale got almost the same popular vote as Carter had gotten, while getting only 13 electoral votes.)

Carter won 41% of the popular vote and 49 electoral votes. He lost big time. 59% of the voters voted against the incumbent President. That's a rare occurrence. Don't you find it funny when Repubs try to downplay Obama's win by saying he won barely over 50% of the vote while getting 332 electoral votes to Romney's 206? Reality is a good thing, no matter how much it hurts. The Democratic Party was just unable to run winning candidates for a few years. But it's apparently fixed that problem.

Reply to this post

Response to Honeycombe8 (Reply #14)

Mon Feb 25, 2013, 02:59 AM

34. baloney. a faction of the democratic party actively *sabotaged* carter, as did the republicans.

and the interest rates were nothing to do with carter: that was also deliberate sabotage by the financial class. the same class deliberately sabotaging us today.

Reply to this post

Response to graham4anything (Reply #5)

Sun Feb 24, 2013, 01:28 PM

25. "Fracture makes for losing." And I add, election of republican Presidents, which screws all of us

and the country. It is stunning that some on DU are calling for fracture in 2016. I would rather see Hillary Clinton as our nominee in 2016 rather than say, Bernie Sanders, buy if Sanders wins the nomination, I immediately will go all in supporting Sanders and other democrats during the General.

Reply to this post

Response to bluestate10 (Reply #25)

Sun Feb 24, 2013, 01:39 PM

26. YUP!

I have never not voted for the democratic nominee for President, nor will I ever

when they say history repeats itself, look no further than 1968, 1980 and 2000.
WE could have won all 3 no matter which nominee had won it.

And I want Hillary too. She can and will win.
And both Hillary and Bill earned my respect putting pettiness aside and working together.

Together means 16 years or more to keep moving forward.

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 24, 2013, 11:23 AM

6. It wasn't (just) the economy. 52 hostages were still in Iran. (n/t)

Reply to this post

Response to thesquanderer (Reply #6)

Sun Feb 24, 2013, 11:43 AM

10. and if not for the illegal treasonous covert deal Reagan made...

it was no coincidence that they were released after Reagan won

Reply to this post

Response to thesquanderer (Reply #6)

Sun Feb 24, 2013, 12:57 PM

20. I remember the Republicans harping on that. That didn't matter to me, tho. I was focused on the

economy, as were, I expect, millions of other voters. Just like now. It's mainly the economy that voters vote on. It's just that it matters that food is rising at 18% inflation. You can't get all worked up about global affairs when you can't afford food or to buy a new car to replace your old broken down car.

I thought Carter was unfairly blamed for the hostage situation and the failed rescue attempt. I didn't base my vote on that at all.

If we'd had 20% inflation this past November, and still rising, there's no doubt in my mind that Obama would have lost the election. Inflation that high is crippling to people.

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 24, 2013, 12:17 PM

15. Carter got blamed for inflation when it was alive and kicking before he came along...

Republicans STILL act like the market is all psychological. Forget math. It's all about puffing up your chest and acting confident. Ford laughingly told everyone inflation was all in our minds and said if we all wear "WIN" buttons it would go away. Reagan claimed inflation was OUR fault for not buying enough stuff when he wasn't busting unions, cutting wages and lowering the standard of living,...and blaming Carter for 8 years for why his policies weren't working,...followed by GHW Bush blaming Carter for another 4 years as to why extending Reagan's policies weren't working.

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 24, 2013, 11:36 AM

7. I just worked with Jimmy - he thinks Obama is too far to the right also! And there's no need,

the polls show most Americans are to the left of Obama.

Reply to this post

Response to grahamhgreen (Reply #7)

Sun Feb 24, 2013, 11:42 AM

9. Don't rewrite history

"I just worked with Jimmy - he thinks Obama is too far to the right also! And there's no need, the polls show most Americans are to the left of Obama."

Jimmy Carter was a conservative Democrat who helped to usher in deregulation.

Jimmy Carter: Democratic Party Should Be More Pro-Life
http://www.democraticunderground.com/1002493677

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 24, 2013, 11:40 AM

8. Kicked and recommended for Jimmy.

Thanks for the thread, graham4anything.

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 24, 2013, 11:43 AM

11. This country did not deserve Jimmy Carter

and rejected him in favor of a shitty movie actor.

Reply to this post

Response to tabasco (Reply #11)

Mon Feb 25, 2013, 12:12 AM

32. +1

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 24, 2013, 11:47 AM

12. I think the Argo team has bought the Oscar.

The movie did serious, egregious injustice to President Carter and all the countries involved... much worse than Lincoln's departure from facts and not as good a movie as Lincoln.

Reply to this post

Response to ananda (Reply #12)

Sun Feb 24, 2013, 12:59 PM

22. Huh? How did it do an injustice to Carter? nt

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 24, 2013, 12:07 PM

13. President Carter stated the movie "Argo" is a complete distortion of what happened...

"Taylor noted that former U.S. President Jimmy Carter appeared on CNN on Thursday night and said "90 per cent of the contributions to the ideas and the consummation of the plan was Canadian," but the film "gives almost full credit to the American CIA."

Carter also called Argo a complete distortion of what happened when he accepted an honorary degree from Queen's University in Canada in November.

"I saw the movie Argo recently and I was taken aback by its distortion of what happened because almost everything that was heroic, or courageous or innovative was done by Canada and not the United States," Carter said."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/story/2013/02/23/argo-taylor-oscars.html

It's Hollywood so I guess distortions are the norm but Argo is being sold as fact based for the most part and I think that is inappropriate.

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 24, 2013, 12:51 PM

18. Reagan paid off Iran

to keep the hostages until after he was elected. I think it is not just rumor but documented fact.

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 24, 2013, 12:57 PM

21. Remember "debategate"

The head of CIA stole Carter's debate memo book and copied the contents for Reagan. The famous Reagan retort to a surprised Carter, "There you go again.' It was well-known that Reagan didn't know enough to debate Carter, but because Reagan's campaign knew ahead of time what Carter was going to say, Reagan came out the clear winner of that debate and boosted his standing with the skeptical voters.
People who forget history are doomed to relive it.

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 24, 2013, 01:06 PM

23. Jimmie Carter was a visionary. We are in the fix that President Obama is having to fix

because americans didn't listen to President Carter. Instead, the majority of voters went for a former actor who eventually busted our budget and brought about the scourge of job out-sourcing.

Reply to this post

Response to bluestate10 (Reply #23)

Mon Feb 25, 2013, 12:14 AM

33. Reagan ran on 'cheap gas' that made us slaves of the Saudis. We've paid for it ever since.

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 24, 2013, 01:07 PM

24. and there is more ...

The Reagan campaign did secretly arrange to provide the Iranians with weapons support (if he won) providing they held the hostages until Jan 20th. This was the beginning of a long line of criminal behaviour conducted by the Reagan administration. To date, the Reagan administration holds the record for the number of administration officials who ended up in jail.

Jimmy Carter was much more than many thought, he was a Naval nuclear power officer and during his time in the Navy helped gather a team to save a critically failing reactor in Canada. When Three Mile Island failed he went personally to tour the site knowing full well the magnitude of the failure.

Over a year later, camera's lowered into the containment vessel would determine that the top three feet of the reactor core had been exposed and melted leaving the reactor permanent disabled.

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 24, 2013, 01:39 PM

27. Carter's image is ALREADY rehabilitated..

Now he is seen as a wise elder Peacemaker statesman. A great humanitarian.

Before he was seen as a mean-spirited, nasty man who was so bad as a President, The Dems begged Teddy to Primary him in 1980 to save the party. Carter's energy policy created a national crisis via price controls, inflation was unreal, and our foreign policy was a nightmare. Carter was a disaster as a President and people should not forget it..

Reply to this post

Response to BWCC (Reply #27)

Sun Feb 24, 2013, 01:46 PM

28. 1977 1978 first part of 1979 was the happiest time in American history

I love Teddy but at the convention he proudly should have embraced Jimmy and perhaps
even joined the ticket.

Foreign policy was GREAT the first 2 1/2 years.
After all BECAUSE of Jimmy Carter, Egypt and Israel got together for the first time EVER after 1000s of years apart.

Ever hear of Camp David?

NOT TO FORGET- NOBODY DIED ON JIMMY CARTER'S WATCH.

Reply to this post

Response to graham4anything (Reply #28)

Sun Feb 24, 2013, 02:06 PM

29. Carter was a VERY complicated President..

He was a very smart guy and seemed inherently decent but truth is he was very hard to figure out and had a mean streak to him. He made Reagan seem pleasant and nice comparatively. He was also the greatest micro-manager we've ever had as President. He actually managed the tennis court usage at the WH personally. He declared Iran to be a "island of stability" right before it went under. He advocated central planning which was easily exploited by Reagan. He gave up the Panama Canal (with bi-partisan support).

And still he might have win in 1980 gad it not been for the debate. Carter was the wrong man at the right time. Frankly, there were a lot of very bad ideas coming out of the Democratic Party at the time and he had to play ball. I think for example 10 years earlier he might have been remembered as a very successful President..

Reply to this post

Response to BWCC (Reply #29)

Sun Feb 24, 2013, 02:10 PM

30. See post 21 for a piece of forgotten REAL history

Jimmy Carter was if anything 40 years ahead of his time, which is why President Obama is President today.
Jimmy Carter was a visionary, and Reagan/Bush should have gone to prison for what they did
It was treason after all that Reagan did.

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 25, 2013, 03:02 AM

35. baloney. carter was sabotaged both by the republicans and a faction in the democratic party

itself.

and that 'micro-management' bs was a popular canard at the time, fake then and still fake.

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 25, 2013, 03:59 PM

37. He "gave up" the Panama Canal?

I think you meant to say, "gave back." LOL.

Carter toasted the shah at a dinner with your quote two years before the Iranian Revolution. Is two years prior, "right before" something else.

Your post is biased and I smell the rancid stench of Reagan love. Sad.

Reply to this post

Response to BWCC (Reply #27)

Sun Feb 24, 2013, 06:11 PM

31. Congress did not approve requested price controls undeer Carter

Inflation did hit 13.5%, partly due to the OPEC doubling of oil prices and partly due to the loose money policy of the FED. Note that Carter was the President who appointed Volker as FED chairman. Volker is responsible for ending inflation, not Saint Ronnie of the Church of Plutocracy.

Reply to this post

Response to Progressive dog (Reply #31)

Mon Feb 25, 2013, 03:05 AM

36. volker "ended inflation" by deliberately provoking a recession to break labor. i would have

rather had the inflation, a job, and a functional manufacturing sector.

my home town went terminal under reagan.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread