HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Being hungry

Sat Feb 23, 2013, 03:19 PM

Being hungry

9 replies, 1468 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to ashling (Original post)

Sat Feb 23, 2013, 04:14 PM

1. The imbalance in the US has become extreme

The irony is that it is driven by those who profess most to support the teachings of the bible.

Is that a picture from the 50s? Somehow kids were a different kind of cute back then.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to siligut (Reply #1)

Sat Feb 23, 2013, 10:35 PM

6. This is actually a photo from the Dust Bowl era ~ n/t

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 23, 2013, 04:43 PM

2. ashling

ashling

To have ONE hungry person in a country of plenty is a crime against humanity - to have ten of thousands hungry in a country of plenty is a tragecy...

I hope one day, the ones who is following us - will look back at our age, and wonder, why we was that barbaric, that we was not able, or willing to help everyone to have a decent living - a roof over their head - a bed to sleep in - and at least 3 decent meals to eat every day...

Diclotican

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 23, 2013, 04:58 PM

3. But by God we will make

them have those babies knowing they can't put food in their bellies.

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 23, 2013, 05:07 PM

4. I have never been hungry

I almost feel guilty typing those words... but the fact remains, I have never suffered for want of food. And I am 58 years old.

I make a monthly (automatic) donation to Food Bank of the Rockies but it never really feels like I've done enough to help.

As an adult, I can't imagine being that hungry.

As a child... my words cannot express.

Reply to this post

Response to blaze (Reply #4)

Sat Feb 23, 2013, 06:13 PM

5. One in five US children go to bed every night without food

They go to sleep hungry and wake up hungry. Their main meal of the day is their school lunch.

In many families, millions of children, the kids get to take turns eating dinner. Tonight it's Billy's turn to eat, and his sister Sarah can watch and wait for her turn tomorrow. And while this is going on we are passing permanent tax cuts for the wealthy -- and there are people here posting about how hard it is to get by on only 30K a month.

I used to help run a charity event for the poor kids in my area. We raised about 70K a year and even penny went to help provide something for local poor kids at Christmas. We would take these kids Christmas shopping at Walmart, no parents allowed. We tried to make sure that every kid got at least one toy they wanted, but most of them had other ideas about what would make a good present.

It's pretty sad when some little girl tells you that she really wants a coat for herself because she doesn't have one, and they have no heat in their house. These are kids, and in my little county alone there were more kids getting nothing than we had money to help.

I have been hungry myself. I'm not now, TODAY, because my wife went to the food bank on Friday. I just had three pieces of bread. Score!

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 23, 2013, 11:56 PM

7. Why is this notion so hard for people to acknowledge via their mindless deficit talk...

Stop funding deficits, drones and guns, and war... Start funding jobs, and education and health care even if you can't pay for it.... Make minimum wage 16.50....

P.S. link:http://www.timeforaraise.org/

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 24, 2013, 02:32 AM

8. that pic reminds me of me and two of my brothers

my mum had all three of us within 22 months

times were very lean but we never went hungry

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 24, 2013, 03:08 AM

9. Which is why your local food bank is the most important donation you can make.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread