HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Federal appeals court rul...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sat Feb 23, 2013, 08:00 AM

Federal appeals court rules concealed weapons permits not covered by Second Amendment

DENVER A federal appeals court has ruled that permits allowing people to carry concealed weapons are not protected by the Second Amendment.

The ruling by the 10th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals was issued Friday in a case involving Washington state resident Gray Peterson.

A federal judge in 2011 tossed out Peterson's lawsuit filed against Denver and the state's Department of Public Safety. Peterson claims that being denied a concealed weapons permit because he was not a Colorado resident violated his Second Amendment rights to bear firearms.

(snip)

"In light of our nation's extensive practice of restricting citizen's freedom to carry firearms in a concealed manner, we hold that this activity does not fall within the scope of the Second Amendment's protections," the judges ruled.

Read More: http://www.therepublic.com/view/story/185483121ac44a5ba1ebde771febf41f/CO--Concealed-Guns-Lawsuit

2 replies, 545 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Federal appeals court rules concealed weapons permits not covered by Second Amendment (Original post)
Robb Feb 2013 OP
madokie Feb 2013 #1
hack89 Feb 2013 #2

Response to Robb (Original post)

Sat Feb 23, 2013, 08:17 AM

1. People who feel they must carry a gun,

concealed or not worry me. The gun doesn't bother me its the mindset of the gun holder that's the problem I have.
When the only tool one has is a hammer all problems are solved as if they're a nail. I don't like that

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Robb (Original post)

Sat Feb 23, 2013, 08:39 AM

2. Concealed carry and other licensing issues is a state issue

gun ownership in general is a constitutionally protected civil liberty but it can be regulated.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread