HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Tom Teves: “The Senator (...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Feb 22, 2013, 05:34 PM

Tom Teves: “The Senator (McCain) OWES my Wife An APOLOGY - He Is Lucky I Wasn’t There,”

A few weeks ago, Tom Teves, of Phoenix, sent his senators a letter. His 24-year-old son, Alex, was killed last year in the Aurora, Colo. movie theater massacre, and he wanted to tell them Alex’s story and encourage them to take action on guns. What he got in response, he said, were cold, impersonal form letters from Sens. John McCain and Jeff Flake, both Republicans. Neither of the letters even addressed the Colorado massacre. In fact, they brought up an entirely different shooting, the schoolhouse killings in Newtown, Conn., and mentioned each senator’s ongoing support of the Second Amendment. It was like Alex Teves’ death hadn’t gotten through to the senators or their staffs.

Now, Tom Teves has shared the letters he received with TPM. He did so after his wife confronted McCain in-person Wednesday with her son’s story and a question about guns at a town hall event in Phoenix. McCain’s response included the remark that Caren Teves needed “some straight talk” on the issue of assault weapons.

“The Senator owes my wife an apology - he is lucky I wasn’t there,” Tom Teves wrote in an email to TPM late Thursday. “He was a ‘tough guy’ with a grieving Mom - that is not who I want leading my country! The sad fact is I used to have a great deal of respect for the Senator McCain, not anymore.”
McCain’s spokesman Brian Rogers said Friday he has a policy not to comment on correspondence with constituents. After TPM pressed him to explain the policy and to respond to the letter, Rogers hung up the phone.Rogers later sent along video from the town hall that showed McCain expressing sympathy for Caren Teves’ loss before telling her bluntly that an assault weapons ban would not pass Congress.

“Well, first of all, could I say thank you, and God bless, and thank you for your service and sacrifice you’ve made,” McCain said in the raw video. “Our hearts and our prayers go out to you and your family.” Flake’s spokeswoman Genevieve Rozansky took a different tack. She apologized for the impersonal form letter Tom Teves received. “While the letter from Senator Flake outlines his position on gun control as requested,” Rozansky said in a written statement to TPM, “Mr. Teves absolutely should have received a personalized response acknowledging his deep loss, and we’re very sorry that he received a form letter.”

cont'

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2013/02/arizona-senators-aurora-shooting-letters.php?ref=fpa

Tom Teves Letters:

My name is Tom Teves and I am the father of Alex Teves. Alex was murdered while watching a movie in Aurora, Colorado. He willingly gave up his life to save the love of his life. He should have NEVER had to make that choice, it was the right one, more courageous than anyone who is reading this has made, but he should have NEVER been put in that position. His entire life was dedicated to helping people and it was snuffed out in less than 90 seconds. He was in the third row to the back of the theatre on the ground covering the love of his life with his body and a ballistic bullet from an assault weapon blew his head off. The bullet was designed to do the most damage possible to a human body and it was extremely violent. We were never able to see him again the injuries were so severe. Please remember what I said he was IN THE BACK OF THE THEATRE UNDER THE SEATS. Americans have no need for assault weapons, quite frankly assault is a felony in most states and felons should be given no rights, they made a choice to work against society and willing relinquished those rights. Get these weapons off the street. Outlaw all of them, give people 60 days to turn them in, compensate them for these weapons of cowards, and then put ANYONE in possession of one in prison for a mandatory five years. It’s time to have real courage America and live by the one basic law of humanity, “Though shalt not kill” and that is the only value of assault weapons to kill. STOP the killing take these guns off the streets. My son was not with us at Christmas and he won’t be EVER AGAIN, it’s time our politicians had ONE TENTH of the courage my 24 year old son showed that day by protecting his love with his own body as well as the courage Amanda shows daily just getting out of bed. There are many reasons for this type of atrocity and guns are not the only reason but they are one of them, without assault weapons Alex would surely be alive as would many more of the children in the Newtown school the logic is unequivocal of that fact.

Stand up America, if you’re not in a war the only people who need automatic weapons are COWARDS hiding behind them as they have no courage to stand on their own. The America I know is the home of the FREE and the land of the BRAVE. Freedom means being able to go to school or the movies without fear of being shot, being brave means having the courage to pose common sense restrictions on gun ownership because you’re confident enough in our society not to need to hide behind an assault weapon. America it’s TIME to stand up or watch one of your children, friend, spouse, die for absolutely no reason except we were too WEAK to act. It’s time for leadership and COURAGE. It’s too late for Alex but let’s stop the need for prayer vigils and reading of names and memorials. Let’s keep these victims anonymous because we had to the courage to address one of the causes before there are more names to “remember” - once that happens it too late for all of us, remember, the bell that tolls could toll for you or worse yet your child next.

On Feb 13, 2013, at 10:16 AM, “senator@mccain.senate.gov” wrote:

February 13, 2013

Mr. Thomas Teves

Dear Mr. Teves:

Thank you for contacting my office regarding the tragic shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School, and its impact on federal gun legislation. I appreciate your taking the time to share your views with me.

As you know, on December 14, 2012, a mentally unstable gunman committed a senseless atrocity by murdering twenty students and six staff members at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newton, Connecticut. While many Americans continue to try to rationalize this tragedy it remains clear that the inhumane and depraved actions of this individual gunman appear to be motivated solely by his extremely disturbed mental state.

On January 16, 2013, President Obama and his administration introduced a twenty-three point plan which lays out both executive and legislative proposals that would attempt to prevent future violence. As the details of the President’s proposals become more clear, I look forward to reviewing them, and working with my colleagues to find sensible solutions that respect the Second Amendment but also help us prevent these type of horrific events from ever happening again.

While I am an unwavering supporter of the Second Amendment, please know that I will seriously consider all reasonable public safety legislation that comes before the Senate.
Thank you once again for contacting my office. Please do not hesitate to do so on this or any other issue of concern.

Sincerely,
John McCain
United States Senator

JM/JT

On Feb 20, 2013, at 4:16 PM, “Senator Jeff Flake” wrote:

Dear Mr. Teves:

Thank you for contacting me about gun control legislation.

In the wake of the tragic December 2012 school shooting in Newtown, Connecticut, there has been a surge in the introduction of congressional legislation attempting to address gun violence. A ban on assault weapons, restrictions on ammunition and magazines, and increased background check requirements have all been proposed.

As you may know, I am a strong supporter of the Second Amendment and I do not believe that our society needs more laws restricting gun ownership. What we really need is to do a better job of keeping guns out of the hands of those who should not have them, while ensuring that those who break existing laws are fully prosecuted.

To that end, I support more effective and broader background checks for those purchasing firearms. For example, the state of Arizona has more than 120,000 records of mentally ill individuals barred from buying guns - but Arizona has not shared those records with the federal National Instant Criminal Background Check System, which checks the names and records of would-be gun buyers to determine if they are disqualified from receiving firearms. At the same time, it is incumbent upon lawmakers to ensure that those eligible to buy guns can do so without untimely delays. I therefore am opposed to universal background checks on private sales, which would be extremely costly and apply to private transfers between family members, friends, neighbors, and even firearms passed down through wills.

Thank you again for contacting me. Please do not hesitate to do so again in the future. I also encourage you to visit my website, which may be found at flake.senate.gov.

Sincerely,

JEFF FLAKE
United States Senator

Sent: Wednesday, February 13, 2013 8:28 AM

To: CSSIncoming@mccain-ia.senate.gov
Subject: Re: Correspondence from Senator McCain

My son was murdered at the Aurora Theatre shooting I guess you missed that small portion of my note. I was always a loyal supporter but your losing me. I will never see my son on this earth again.
So the Senator responds with a form letter, obviously my son in the Senator’s mind doesn’t count, since the response was a form letter, where is your humanity.

Sent from my iPhone

Sent: Thursday, February 21, 2013 5:03 PM

To: Senator Jeff Flake

Subject: Re: Thank You For Contacting Me

Glad that I wrote about my murdered son and you responded with a form letter about Newton. Your humanity is lacking. I wonder how you would feel if your son was murdered and you got a form letter in return?

37 replies, 4401 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 37 replies Author Time Post
Reply Tom Teves: “The Senator (McCain) OWES my Wife An APOLOGY - He Is Lucky I Wasn’t There,” (Original post)
Segami Feb 2013 OP
TheCowsCameHome Feb 2013 #1
Segami Feb 2013 #3
TheCowsCameHome Feb 2013 #6
Roy Rolling Feb 2013 #26
kardonb Feb 2013 #23
xtraxritical Feb 2013 #27
tblue37 Feb 2013 #2
hatrack Feb 2013 #22
Hulk Smash Feb 2013 #4
Segami Feb 2013 #5
pacalo Feb 2013 #8
calimary Feb 2013 #11
Ikonoklast Feb 2013 #7
Wait Wut Feb 2013 #9
DonB Feb 2013 #32
Wait Wut Feb 2013 #34
DonB Feb 2013 #37
silvershadow Feb 2013 #10
frylock Feb 2013 #12
bluesbassman Feb 2013 #14
HangOnKids Feb 2013 #25
Cha Feb 2013 #13
OldDem2012 Feb 2013 #15
TwilightGardener Feb 2013 #16
frylock Feb 2013 #19
TwilightGardener Feb 2013 #21
frylock Feb 2013 #33
myrna minx Feb 2013 #35
quakerboy Feb 2013 #17
HockeyMom Feb 2013 #18
judesedit Feb 2013 #20
sheshe2 Feb 2013 #24
Zoeisright Feb 2013 #28
mountain grammy Feb 2013 #29
blackspade Feb 2013 #30
lpbk2713 Feb 2013 #31
glowing Feb 2013 #36

Response to Segami (Original post)

Fri Feb 22, 2013, 05:40 PM

1. Chipmunk cheeks is always on the Sunday morning shows

I hope someone has the balls to call him out this weekend.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to TheCowsCameHome (Reply #1)

Fri Feb 22, 2013, 05:49 PM

3. I would have loved to see McCain try calling Tom Teves a ' jerk '

AFTER chastising his wife with some ' straight talk '.

Reply to this post

Response to Segami (Reply #3)

Fri Feb 22, 2013, 05:51 PM

6. I hope this goes viral

McCain has turned into bitter, nasty old man.

Reply to this post

Response to TheCowsCameHome (Reply #6)

Fri Feb 22, 2013, 08:38 PM

26. Form Letters

Receiving two form letters as a response (by both offices) shows a level of indifference and incompetence to the urgent need to at least CONSIDER the issue.

The BS "second amendment" response and blaming it on emotional hysteria to Sandy Hook is insulting to the Teves family. This is a very personal communication on a very specific tragedy the Teves' family suffered. To not even read the letter, and even worse, send an impersonal form letter as a response is chickenshit.

Like Mr. Teves, I , too, have lost all respect for John Mc Cain.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 22, 2013, 07:56 PM

23. chipmunk

we live in AZ , and anytime you contact McGrumpy via letters or e-mail , all you ever get in response is a form letter pounding out republican talking points , or no answer at all . Same with all our other representatives in congress . Never any personal response to the questions posited .

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 22, 2013, 09:00 PM

27. I hope McCain's goiters go malignant soon.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 22, 2013, 05:45 PM

2. McCain expressed sympathy to a grieving mother

by mouthing, "Thank you for your service"? He was sooo on autopilot, not really connecting with her story!

Reply to this post

Response to tblue37 (Reply #2)

Fri Feb 22, 2013, 07:52 PM

22. Was she in the military? And if she were, what would it have to do with the topic at hand?

Sheesh.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 22, 2013, 05:49 PM

4. The "Straight Talk Express" is now the "B.S. Locomotive."

Reply to this post

Response to Hulk Smash (Reply #4)

Fri Feb 22, 2013, 05:51 PM

5. Filled to capacity with more reTHUGS heading towards that bridge to nowhere.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 22, 2013, 06:12 PM

8. No kidding!

Welcome to DU, Hulk Smash!

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 22, 2013, 06:29 PM

11. Welcome to DU, Hulk Smash! It sounded like "Straight Talk Excrement" to me.

As a mother, I was OUTRAGED by what I saw and heard in that clip. And then all the hyenas in the room applauding and cheering - HIM!!! Made me want to throw something at the TV!!!

SHAME ON HIM!!!! HOW DARE he speak to her that way!!!! Heart like a BB, as my late mother used to say. I don't care what he might have said as a preface to that heartless scolding, or how solicitous he might have tried to be at first. He can take that "Straight Talk" bullshit of his and sit on it and swivel. How would he feel if it was HIS kid in that movie theater when the nut with the body armor and the loaded mow-down machine burst into the place?

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 22, 2013, 05:53 PM

7. I'd be more than a little wary in pissing off Mr. Teves.

Guy looks like he played linebacker, and McCain is a sawed-off runt with Short Man Syndrome who coasted on his family name his entire life.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 22, 2013, 06:21 PM

9. This is slightly off-topic, but relevant...

This is what we need to see and hear. The parents, wives, children, friends need to be heard from more often. I've noticed that it is becoming more common, and it's been heartbreaking.

We've become jaded. Even here where compassion and activism runs high, we really aren't paying much attention to the victims friends and family. Despite our best intentions, we still see people as statistics. Yes, those statistics serve our arguments well, but how much more passionately do we fight when we see the face of a crying father, an angry mother or a near catatonic wife? Humanity is still beautiful, even with the tragedies it inflicts upon itself. By exposing ourselves to the raw anguish of these people I believe it makes it more personal to each of us. This man lost a son. A real person. Not just a kid in a theater, not just a number or even just a name. A laughing, loving, probably occasionally trouble-making son (hey, I have a son...I know).

I try to recognize each face of a tragedy. It's not easy. But, seeing the anger and disgust on this man's face burns his loss into my mind and heart. I don't want to use them. But, if they want to be heard, we need to make sure the whole damned world is listening and we need to be there when they break. With all of this man's furor, there is still a father with a broken heart. The anger will subside, the pain never will.

*I know someone will question (attack?) my use of the word 'we'. If you don't think it pertains to you, then I humbly excuse you from inclusion. Now, I'm offta see if I can email Mr. Teves to offer my support and condolences.

Edit: to fix a typo and to say that I suck at trying to find people. If anyone knows a trick to finding someone (he doesn't seem to be on FB) please let me know.

Reply to this post

Response to Wait Wut (Reply #9)

Sat Feb 23, 2013, 12:02 AM

32. Totally agree and believe

that the carnage of all these gun massacres, terrorist attacks, and wars should be shown on tv and in newspapers. If you have seen any of the children that were killed and maimed by bush and cheney in Iraq you would know the effect that it can have on someones view of the sterile precision based wars we fight. Put the disgusting damage that is done to these children right out there for all to see. Make them stand in front of the damage caused by an assault rifle with a 30 round clip and justify it to mothers, fathers, sister, and brothers. Hell, make them justify it to the god they worship, but make them justify the destruction of these lifeless bodies to someone.

Reply to this post

Response to DonB (Reply #32)

Sat Feb 23, 2013, 10:55 AM

34. While I understand your reasoning...

...I don't agree that it should be shown. It would be absolute hell for the family and friends. I also think the carnage we already see day to day on TV and the internet is part of the reason we've become jaded. I think focusing on the victim's lives is much more effective. If you show me the ravaged body of a child, I can guarantee I'll turn away and sob. If you show me the face of that child laughing, playing, hugging their dog, I'll watch and sob and focus on protecting every other laughing, loving child. The difference is the visual of a horrific crime compared to the loss of a beautiful life.

Welcome to DU!

Reply to this post

Response to Wait Wut (Reply #34)

Sat Feb 23, 2013, 04:00 PM

37. Having raised, with my wife, two

beautiful children I will always remember the happy moments but I find the scary points, such as my sons bout of meningitis, where the fear and helplessness you experience is so overwhelming that it becomes totally unforgettable. That fear never leaves you in your concerns for your own children or the children of friends, relatives, or strangers. It is one of the many reasons I believe in Universal Health Care, no one should have to experience that fear without the benefit of a competent doctor and quality health care system at their disposal.

I do agree that the pain to the families and friends of such pictorial mayhem could be terrible, but I contend that the contrast of that visual of mayhem, for normal people, who have their own happy children hugging their pets, would be a greater cause for action on these critical issues. Those that you contend are jaded by the internet or the corporate news media, don't really have a lot to be jaded about when you compare our news coverage in America to the rest of the world. Even our own news sources play down their American pictorials compared to what they publish in other countries.

The issue we are discussing here is not how you or I would react, we both appear to be quite compassionate about the families who experienced this unnecessary carnage, but how to effect the fence sitters who, with their actions, can really make a difference in the direction this country moves in the future.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 22, 2013, 06:26 PM

10. I can't say I disagree. nt

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 22, 2013, 06:30 PM

12. thank you for your sacrifice?!!

I CANNOT wait for this shitheel to become worm food. I fucking loathe him.

Reply to this post

Response to frylock (Reply #12)

Fri Feb 22, 2013, 07:17 PM

14. That stuck out to me too...

I'm 100% sure that neither of the Teves felt the senseless murder of their son was a "sacrifice". That McCain is so utterly clueless that he felt compelled to express their loss as a "sacrifice" is even more asinine than telling Caren Teves that she needed to hear some "straight talk".

What a complete failure as a human being John McCain has become.

Reply to this post

Response to bluesbassman (Reply #14)

Fri Feb 22, 2013, 08:19 PM

25. Ole Sydney John McCain

Has ALWAYS been a total failure. His whole life consists of failing up-wards because of family connections and lots of $$$$$$$$$. He is Shit-Weasel and has been since birth.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 22, 2013, 06:38 PM

13. You can just feel the pain of those poor parents who lost

their son to assault weapon massive gun violence.

It's so sad Caren Teves had to encounter a cold hearted asshole like John McCain when she's grieving for her son and looking for sensible answers.

I hope the whole country gets to know the way the Teves' have been treated by these republcon buffoons.

Thank you, Segami

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 22, 2013, 07:22 PM

15. The responses of McCain and Flake are beyond disgusting. They should be run out of Congress. nt.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 22, 2013, 07:25 PM

16. "Thank you for your service and sacrifice?"

What an odd thing to say--either he doesn't listen, or he doesn't seem to have the mental agility to express sympathy for individuals in circumstances other than military deaths. Must be his go-to disclaimer before he launches into his bullshit.

Reply to this post

Response to TwilightGardener (Reply #16)

Fri Feb 22, 2013, 07:43 PM

19. i think that this fool is just cruising on auto-pilot at this stage..

oh, your son was killed? let me access auto response #203. bleep blorp.

Reply to this post

Response to frylock (Reply #19)

Fri Feb 22, 2013, 07:51 PM

21. Input: report of death Output: Thank you for your service and sacrifice

Input: Complaint that annoys me Output: You need some straight talk

Reply to this post

Response to TwilightGardener (Reply #21)

Sat Feb 23, 2013, 12:25 AM

33. ell ohh ell!!!

thanks for the larf!

Reply to this post

Response to TwilightGardener (Reply #21)

Sat Feb 23, 2013, 11:42 AM

35. Exactly. It's like he's coin operated.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 22, 2013, 07:33 PM

17. "thank you for your service and sacrifice you’ve made"

What the f? They didn't make a sacrifice. They didn't send their son off to protect the homeland in a war or to serve the country. They didn't lose him in a firefight in falluja or fighting a fire in an orphanage. He went to watch a bloody movie. And was murdered.

No noble cause, no titanic struggle. Just plain ol violence. There's no Just but unwinnable war of the ages here, its a simple question, How do we prevent the next person in a similar situation from being murdered?

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 22, 2013, 07:41 PM

18. Sacrifice to WHO? To WHAT?

The NRA??????? This is an asinine statement, McCain.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 22, 2013, 07:45 PM

20. The GOP cares nothing for any of us. They only care about themselves and their owners.Wake up people

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 22, 2013, 07:59 PM

24. McCain has lost all sense of humanity,

if in fact he ever had any.To treat a grieving mother like that is beneath contempt! This is the last straw, the man needs to be committed to a dark chamber, never to see the light of day.

The sad reality, is this is the opinion of the collective GOP lawmakers and their wounded flock of sheep that follow them. They are carrying on like a child, being told that his blankly needs to go in the wash today. Noooo don't take my guns! I need them. Their outrage is absurd! Who in the name of God needs an assault rifle!

Does it surprise me? No. What else can you expect from a treasonous party that is doing everything that it can to destroy our economy, so that a black President will fail.

Defending a second amendment right, that they loosely interpret to suit their needs, over our right to life. The absurdity is just plain sick!

My heart goes out to the Teves family, and all the others that have lost loved ones.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 22, 2013, 09:00 PM

28. If I were Mr. Teves

Gramps McCain would have a bloody nose at the very least. I hate that old fucking SOB.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 22, 2013, 09:35 PM

29. Had Mr. Teves been there and stood up behind his wife, McCain would have wet his pants.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 22, 2013, 11:13 PM

30. Teves was much more pleasant in his responses than I would have been.

The senseless slaughter of our fellow citizens needs to stop.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 22, 2013, 11:59 PM

31. I'm glad they got called on their assholery

But the sad part is they will never change. They don't have it in them.

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 23, 2013, 01:25 PM

36. That's all they seem to do, the most of them, they respond in bulk form..

However, some people have smart enough staff to try and catch the "important people" who could F with them.. Guess gun victims are not important enough for them to remember... OR there are way too many.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread