HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Third Update on Dutch the...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Feb 22, 2013, 03:20 PM

Third Update on Dutch the Service Dog (he was supposed to be put to sleep last week)

Interesting turn of events. Dutch's owner (rightfully so) is refusing to turn him in to the shelter.

Here's the story so far:

MONTROSE, Colo. (AP) - Authorities in Montrose are trying to find a veteran's service dog that was ordered euthanized after attacking a caretaker.

Jeremiah Aguilar ignored a judge's order and never turned Dutch in to Montrose Animal Control after he was ordered to hand him over last week.

Montrose Animal Control officials say Aguilar left his dog in the care of its former owner while he was out. Animal control officers say the woman was trying to break up a fight between Dutch and another dog when Dutch bit her.

According to the Grand Junction Daily Sentinel, an attorney for Aguilar did not return a phone call seeking comment.

http://www.9news.com/news/local/article/318634/346/Service-dog-ordered-euthanized-is-missing

--

I am of the opinion that the woman should be arrested and sentenced to be put to sleep instead. Dutch is the victim there in this matter.

6 replies, 1516 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Third Update on Dutch the Service Dog (he was supposed to be put to sleep last week) (Original post)
Hard Assets Feb 2013 OP
angstlessk Feb 2013 #1
DollarBillHines Feb 2013 #2
SwissTony Feb 2013 #6
Blue Diadem Feb 2013 #3
freshwest Feb 2013 #4
MLG Feb 2013 #5

Response to Hard Assets (Original post)

Fri Feb 22, 2013, 03:37 PM

1. I remember as a litle kid..other kids were taunting a dog

and I knelled next to him to make them stop and the dog bit me just under my eye..and NO ONE wanted to put the dog down..it was purely instinct and I was at fault for getting too close to a dog in fear..even if I was trying to soothe the dog!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Feb 22, 2013, 03:57 PM

2. That woman should not be allowed to be around dogs.

I you are going to break up a dog fight, you better damned well know what you are doing.

Reply to this post

Response to DollarBillHines (Reply #2)

Sun Feb 24, 2013, 10:07 AM

6. And even if you do know what you are doing, don't be surprised if you get a bite. n/t

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 22, 2013, 04:10 PM

3. He didn't respond to the sanctuary offer? So much misinformation out there

http://www.gjsentinel.com/news/articles/man-declines-to-hand-over-doomed-dog/

Dutch the dog is on the lam and his owner, a U.S. Army veteran, failed to respond to an offer under which Dutch could dodge the death sentence by being sent to an animal sanctuary in southern California.

----
The women didn't beat the dog, she hit him with a tiki torch pole to break up a dog fight. It was after he was in the house with her that he attacked her. She has $28,000 in medical bills. Dutch only became a service dog after the attack. If I were the owner, I'd jump at the chance to keep the dog alive and take the offer of a sanctuary.

Reply to this post

Response to Blue Diadem (Reply #3)

Fri Feb 22, 2013, 05:11 PM

4. Whoa. $28,000 in medical bills is pretty steep.

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 24, 2013, 08:18 AM

5. forensics?

Did any medical or law enforcement professionals analyze the bites the woman sustained to determine which dog made them? Or did they just take the woman's word that it was Dutch? It might have been the pit bull, or another dog...

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread