HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Pelosi to GOP: You oppose...

Fri Feb 22, 2013, 12:54 PM

Pelosi to GOP: You oppose minimum wage hike at your peril

Pelosi to GOP: You oppose minimum wage hike at your peril

Posted by Greg Sargent

As I reported here yesterday, Democrats are drawing up plans to run hard on Obama’s proposal to raise minimum wage in the 2014 Congressional elections. What few people remember is that there’s precedent for this: The minimum wage hike was one of the key issues Dems used to take back the House in 2006.

In an interview with me, Nancy Pelosi summed up the message Dems used against Republicans in 2006, and will again use in 2014: “Just keep it simple. We want to raise the minimum wage, and you don’t. Why not?”

In 2006, the minimum wage hike was one of the key planks in what Dems called the “Six for ’06 Agenda” — a set of initiatives focused on jobs and wages, national security, affordable health care, and energy independence. After Dems won back the House, the minimum wage hike was signed into law the next year. Pelosi tells me she would much prefer that Republicans agree to raise the minimum wage before it ever becomes a campaign issue, but if they don’t, Democrats will rerun the 2006 minimum wage playbook — and that if anything, it will be worse this time, because it encapsulates the argument the parties have been having in the years since the financial crisis heightened public awareness about inequality.

“There’s an even greater awareness now than there was six years ago about the disparity of income in our country — and that this disparity is not a healthy thing for a family or an economy,” Pelosi told me. “Raising the minimum wage is the right thing to do, but it’s a popular thing to do as well.”

- more -

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/wp/2013/02/22/pelosi-to-gop-you-oppose-minimum-wage-hike-at-your-peril/

5 replies, 616 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Pelosi to GOP: You oppose minimum wage hike at your peril (Original post)
ProSense Feb 2013 OP
ProSense Feb 2013 #1
Jamaal510 Feb 2013 #2
Initech Feb 2013 #3
ProSense Feb 2013 #4
Volaris Feb 2013 #5

Response to ProSense (Original post)

Fri Feb 22, 2013, 01:24 PM

1. Kick! n/t

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Feb 22, 2013, 01:30 PM

2. As long as gerrymandering is in effect,

the R's don't care. They know they can still fool enough people enough of the time to get elected, despite opposing minimum wage hikes.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 22, 2013, 01:40 PM

3. The GOP no longer represents the people. They represent big money interests.

Reply to this post

Response to Initech (Reply #3)

Fri Feb 22, 2013, 02:33 PM

4. This is one of those issues where public support is in the 70s. n/t

Reply to this post

Response to ProSense (Reply #4)

Fri Feb 22, 2013, 04:02 PM

5. Yep. and if electing Dem's is the ONLY way to do it,

then that's what the hell they'll do.

Reply to this post