HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » German home-school parent...

Fri Feb 22, 2013, 05:45 AM

German home-school parents appeal asylum ruling

http://www.seattlepi.com/news/us/article/German-home-school-parents-appeal-asylum-ruling-4299550.php

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) A couple that fled Germany with their five children over fears they would lose custody for not sending them to school has asked a federal appeals court to grant them asylum in the U.S.

Uwe and Hannelore Romeike (roh-MY-kee) claim in court documents that German schools are anti-Christian and the couple believe God wants them to teach their children at home.

Germany's government requires students to attend a state-approved school, and parents who violate the law can face fines, jail and possible custody loss.

The 6th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals decided this week to hear oral arguments in April. The court will hear two competing pictures of the parents.

2 replies, 434 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply German home-school parents appeal asylum ruling (Original post)
steve2470 Feb 2013 OP
aquart Feb 2013 #1
DetlefK Feb 2013 #2

Response to steve2470 (Original post)

Fri Feb 22, 2013, 06:30 AM

1. Can't wait for the influx of fundy refugees.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to steve2470 (Original post)

Fri Feb 22, 2013, 07:10 AM

2. "a textbook "featured a story suggesting that 'the devil can help you if you ask the devil,' "

How do stories about engaging in a contract with the devil always end?
Ah yes, now I remember: The guy lives happily ever after, there are no bad consequences, and the devil is a really nice person.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread