HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Germans canít see meteori...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 10:28 PM

Germans canít see meteorite YouTube videos due to copyright dispute

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2013-02/21/german-youtube-dispute

Germans canít see meteorite YouTube videos due to copyright dispute
By Cyrus Farivar

Last week, when the world was watching crazy Russian meteorite videos on YouTube, the Germans weren't.

As a result of an ongoing dispute between Google (YouTube's parent company) and GEMA, the primary German performance rights organisation, a number of Russian YouTube videos have been blocked from within Germany. The reason? These videos contain background music playing from a Russian car radio.

This is just the latest example of a ridiculous situation that has developed in Germany. According to a recent study by OpenDataCity, more than 60 percent of the top 1,000 YouTube videos are unavailable in Germany because Google assumes the music rights might be owned by GEMA.

2 replies, 578 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Germans canít see meteorite YouTube videos due to copyright dispute (Original post)
jsr Feb 2013 OP
MADem Feb 2013 #1
RedCappedBandit Feb 2013 #2

Response to jsr (Original post)

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 10:34 PM

1. Ambient noise is ambient noise--I think that music rights for "playing on the radio" stuff is BS.

Heaven forfend that someone is walking down the street and music from this radio and that boom box reaches the microphone while they are recording their stroll!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to jsr (Original post)

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 10:55 PM

2. It's ridiculous

Even from where I am in NY, I have had trouble uploading videos with music playing in the background. It's nonsense.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread