HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » they are coming for your ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 04:26 PM

they are coming for your birth control

(I urge everyone to read the comments section--several of them are excellent)

They Are Coming for Your Birth Control
Pro-Lifers Must “Advocate for Sexual Restraint”
by Robin Marty

(Note: Think that anti-choice politicians and activists aren’t trying to outlaw contraception? Think again. Follow along in an ongoing series that proves beyond a doubt that they really are coming for your birth control.)
. . .

Writing in the National Review Online, New posits that the clearest way to determine a person’s opinions on whether abortion should remain legal is to examine whether or not that person believes premarital sex is immoral. It’s a fairly simple gamble to make, and one that doesn’t need any studies or surveys to really back it up. Considering almost 60 percent of Americans think that premarital sex isn’t a sin, and that 95 percent of Americans have had premarital sex (yes, even people who believe they were going to Hell for doing it… well, do it), the idea that the same minority of people would also believe abortion is immoral would make perfect sense.

What doesn’t make sense (at least, not if anti-choice advocates really want to end legal abortion) is arguing that the best way to proceed is to convince people that premarital sex is wrong. I guess the assumption is that as a corollary, more people would then want abortion ended as well?

New writes:

I always remind pro-lifers that a promiscuous society will never support significant restrictions on abortion. While pro-lifers are good at talking about fetal development and personal responsibility, we are less comfortable with subjects such as sexual activity and contraception. Indeed, it is doubtless more difficult to advocate for sexual restraint than for the unborn. However, this is a battle in which pro-lifers must continue to engage if we are to succeed in our goal of providing legal protection to all unborn children.

I’m just going to backtrack and insert this again. Over 95 out of 100 people report having premarital sex. Yes, 95 percent. And they have been for decades. The only difference between 95 percent of people in the fifties having sex and 95 percent of people today having sex before marriage?
. . . .
http://www.commondreams.org/view/2013/02/20-3

20 replies, 1070 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 20 replies Author Time Post
Reply they are coming for your birth control (Original post)
niyad Feb 2013 OP
backtoblue Feb 2013 #1
niyad Feb 2013 #2
Mariana Feb 2013 #12
Lady Freedom Returns Feb 2013 #3
catbyte Feb 2013 #4
cali Feb 2013 #5
alphafemale Feb 2013 #11
niyad Feb 2013 #15
cali Feb 2013 #18
RebelOne Feb 2013 #6
sadbear Feb 2013 #7
sigmasix Feb 2013 #8
sadbear Feb 2013 #10
niyad Feb 2013 #16
liberal_at_heart Feb 2013 #9
gollygee Feb 2013 #13
liberal_at_heart Feb 2013 #14
niyad Feb 2013 #17
riderinthestorm Feb 2013 #19
fizzgig Feb 2013 #20

Response to niyad (Original post)

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 04:29 PM

1. birth control pills are also used as therapy for endometriosis

Regulates periods and lessens the duration of pain associated with the disease.

oh, and also lessens the chance of having an unwanted pregnancy leading to an abortion. i'm so sick of all the anti-choicers trying to control my body. i don't know anyone who hasn't had premarital sex. i'm sure they exist, somewhere, in a book or something.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to backtoblue (Reply #1)

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 04:30 PM

2. yes, I know that--but the woman-hating anti-choicers simply do not care

Reply to this post

Response to backtoblue (Reply #1)

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 06:08 PM

12. The anti-choice loons have been spreading the lie

that birth control pills work by causing abortions. They've done pretty well with that, and lots of people believe it. When you see an anti-choicer use the term "abortion pill" you can't assume they're talking about RU486. They may very well be talking about ordinary oral contraceptives.

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 04:40 PM

3. I've known this for a long time.

They are not "pro-life", they are "pro-my religious and moral beliefs are better than yours and we will push them on you". They may make such a fuss about the unborn, but when the child get's here they turn there backs. They are the most selfish groups out there.

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 04:50 PM

4. Here's more evidence conservatives are trying to control us:

http://www.salon.com/2013/02/21/decoding_the_fertility_panic/

Thursday, Feb 21, 2013 07:45 AM EST

Pregnancy is patriotic!

Conservative men are in a frenzy over birth rates. Is your birth control really contributing to American decline?

By Irin Carmon

In the fast-growing canon of literature panicking over the supposed fertility crisis, one alarmist feature on the declining birthrate provides an innovation: an anthropological excursion to a hookah bar in the East Village to hear from the young miscreants themselves. (“Decadence,” thy name is hookah.)

There, amid jokes about “popping one out,” and “horrible little grubs,” was a “more serious conversation about their fears of relinquishing sole ownership of one’s own body.” At least the authors of this Daily Beast piece asked actual women how they feel about childbearing, and the tensions between making a living, getting by in a city, and being treated like a “womb on legs,” in the memorable words of one of the interviewees. Most of the other accounts have left women out of the story entirely, with the convenient but noxious result of waging backlash while appearing to change the subject.

It’s getting crowded out there among the hand-wringers over what the birthrate says about America’s imperial future or the sustainability of our social insurance programs. Ross Douthat practically lives here, though in his most-talked-about column about insufficient fertility in December, he was careful to blame “late modern exhaustion” without having to talk too much about the women who evidently were suffering from it. And earlier this month, an excerpt from Jonathan Last’s “What to Expect When No One’s Expecting: American’s Coming Demographic Disaster,” under the headline “America’s Baby Bust,” was widely debated.

“The root cause of most of our problems is our declining fertility rate,” Last declared, with all of the understatement of a man with a book to sell, citing retirement programs and healthcare costs. When it came to the inconvenient question of “ownership over one’s own body” and the root causes of fertility numbers, Last hinted at it, mentioning women attending college and “branching out into careers beyond teaching and nursing,” as well as the pill and couples cohabitating.

**snip**

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 05:03 PM

5. good luck with that.

No way is that going to happen.

Reply to this post

Response to cali (Reply #5)

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 06:03 PM

11. Exactly. This move would just further marginalize them.

Many republicans are ready to back away from the crazy.

Reply to this post

Response to cali (Reply #5)

Fri Feb 22, 2013, 12:12 PM

15. "first they fight abortion, birth control is next. . ."

if you think that, you are not truly paying attention to what they are doing. will they succeed? let us hope not, but the fact remains that these woman-hating cretins are out there, spreading this bs. just look at all the laws that have been passed restricting women's reproductive autonomy just in the last two years.

Reply to this post

Response to niyad (Reply #15)

Fri Feb 22, 2013, 01:15 PM

18. oh boy do I pay attention.

I'm very well informed about the encroachments on abortion. My last op on the topic was that there are 2 Americas for women who need abortion services. I follow all the state legislature activism as well as that on a national level.

I stand by what I said about birth control For one thing there is virtually no way that either Eisenstadt or Griswold will be overturned, whereas the possibility that Roe could be, is not negligible. Roe, of course, has been whittled away at in the SCOTUS. Eisenstadt and Griswold have not.

Yes, there are women hating cretins. No duh, but they do possess the capability of restricting access to abortion.

The reality is that birth control is safe from the kind of measurements that too many state legislatures have taken up and either tried to pass or have passed- unless you count the personhood amendments which haven't passed a referendum yet and which are frankly unconstitutional.

99% of women use birth control. Realistically, it's far fetched to believe that birth control could be outlawed or restricted. It's playing boogyman.

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 05:16 PM

6. Not mine.

I am 74 years old and have natural birth control.

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 05:17 PM

7. What, are they going to require me to leave it it?

"Every sperm is sacred?"

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 05:37 PM

8. not conservatives- they are right wing extremists

One of the things that anti-American right wing extremists love is when people call them conservatives. American Conservativism is a legitimate political school of thought, with a long history of love for our country displayed by a passionate, realistic desire to work with other Americans in attempts to "form a more perfect union". The same goes for the old republican party.
Teabaggers and thier ilk are not conservatives, and they certainly aren't republican or patriotic. They display a deep hatred for education, scientific knowledge and critical thinking. Fundamentalist rage is the only "knowledge" they seem to respect. Teabaggers routinely declare that poverty stricken and senior Americans are responsible for the george bush recession- Using Teabagger legislation and media to punish and shame them.
NRA members and Teabagger extremists disquise themselves as reasonable conservatives to hide the fact that the republican party and the conservative school of thought has been taken over by extremists with no political or social legitimacy. These people don't just SEEM to be destroying America on purpose; they ARE destroying America on purpose, and they cause more damage every time the media calls them conservatives.
Right wing extremists attacking America from the inside- with the help of MSM, are the deadliest threat modern America has ever faced. One of the best ways to stop the teabagging of America is to help good American conservatives take back the republican party. Teabaggers are such a threat to America that good republicans and democrats have teamed-up to defeat extremist Teabagger legislation and ideology.

Just so we all understand:
Teabaggers are NOT conservatives; they are radicalized AntiAmerican extremist reactionaries. The sooner this notion becomes universal, the sooner we can rid ourselves of treasonous teabagger politicians and their supporters.

Reply to this post

Response to sigmasix (Reply #8)

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 05:47 PM

10. Maybe once upon a time.

Today they're one and the same.

Reply to this post

Response to sigmasix (Reply #8)

Fri Feb 22, 2013, 12:13 PM

16. just as a matter of curiosity, which pols fit your definition of american conservative these days?

not being snarky, it is a serious question.

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 05:46 PM

9. I know things seem bleak right now especially on the local level

but I heard something very reassuring on the Cycle this morning that I did not know before. That the millennial generation is the largest and most diverse in American history. Over the next couple of decades we are going to see a lot of change coming from this generation. Gay marriage, marijuana legalization, women's rights will all be largely affected by this generation. Business may even look different. They are using Twitter and Facebook to fight for social and economic justice. I have become pretty cynical over the past decade or so seeing how much control the 1% have. How do we fight? Can we come up with the number of people to make a real difference? Given the vast numbers that exist in this generation I finally think the answer is yes.

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 06:10 PM

13. They can have my IUD when they pull it from my cold, dead, cervix.

My regular reply to this issue.

Reply to this post

Response to gollygee (Reply #13)

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 06:21 PM

14. most of them can't even say the word vagina

You tell them to come and take your IUD they are likely to faint.

Reply to this post

Response to liberal_at_heart (Reply #14)

Fri Feb 22, 2013, 12:15 PM

17. especially if she says the full name--assuming any of them actually know the words

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 22, 2013, 01:22 PM

19. LOL! Okay that got a laugh. K&R nt

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 22, 2013, 01:24 PM

20. mine too

Reply to this post