HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » man posted photos of hims...

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 04:20 PM

man posted photos of himself petting, lifting and sitting on manatee calf - warrant for his arrest

A Florida family turned a trip to Taylor Creek in St. Lucie County into their own private petting zoo in January, authorities report, and then posted the incriminating photos online.

Florida Fish and Wildlife officials say they received a tip that Ryan William Waterman, 21, of Ft. Pierce, posted Facebook images of himself and two kids petting, lifting, and sitting on a manatee calf.

The State Attorney's Office issued a warrant for Waterman's arrest based on the Florida Manatee Sanctuary Act, which makes it illegal to injure, harm, harass, capture or attempt to capture a Florida manatee.

“This was a young manatee which was likely still dependent on its mother for food and protection,” FWC manatee biologist Dr. Thomas Reinert said in a release. “Separating the two could have severe consequences for the calf.”

“The calf also appeared to be experiencing manatee cold-stress syndrome, a condition that can lead to death in extreme cases,” said Reinert. “Taking the calf out of the water may have worsened its situation.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/19/ryan-waterman-florida-man_n_2716846.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

11 replies, 1061 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 11 replies Author Time Post
Reply man posted photos of himself petting, lifting and sitting on manatee calf - warrant for his arrest (Original post)
Liberal_in_LA Feb 2013 OP
sharp_stick Feb 2013 #1
RebelOne Feb 2013 #4
Helen Reddy Feb 2013 #2
life long demo Feb 2013 #3
randome Feb 2013 #5
Butterbean Feb 2013 #6
Tien1985 Feb 2013 #7
lpbk2713 Feb 2013 #8
joeybee12 Feb 2013 #9
quaker bill Feb 2013 #10
mokawanis Feb 2013 #11

Response to Liberal_in_LA (Original post)

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 04:22 PM

1. What is it with assholes and manatees these days

I don't recall hearing about people abusing the poor damned things up until this year. Now all of a sudden every moronic fuck with a vacation day seems to be dragging his/her family out to screw around with a protected species.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to sharp_stick (Reply #1)

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 05:29 PM

4. Idiots like that sicken me.

Haven't we not done enough damage to those wonderful animals with boats. An ex-boyfriend had a seafood restaurant on a canal off Biscayne Bay in Miami and those manatees would swim up to the dock. We would feed them cabbage and left over raw vegetables. The adults are huge. My only thought was that they were aquatic elephants when I saw them.

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 04:25 PM

2. What a nincompoop.

Heal quickly my little manatee-calf friend.

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 05:13 PM

3. I hope the calf's mom came back for it

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 05:42 PM

5. Did you see The Daily Show segment on the Tea Party/manatee connection?

These right-wing imbeciles actually believe they have the right to disregard any endangered animal laws they don't agree with.

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 05:45 PM

6. Idiot. n/t

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 06:27 PM

7. It's sad.

I don't get why some folks feel the need to screw around with wild animals. Don't frig around with manatees, don't chase things for no reason, don't swerve to hit squirrels, don't throw rocks at ducks, don't go around killing every dang caterpillar you come across. This seems like common sense to me, but I see it a lot!

I just don't get it

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 06:30 PM

8. "Here ... hold my beer while I ... "

Unfuggenbelievable.

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 06:35 PM

9. Good...arrest the asshat...

Aren't manatees fairly docile animals? Unfortunately that makes for dickheads like this guy to think it's ok.

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 06:39 PM

10. The law is really clear

you don't mess with manatees. You don't feed them, you don't touch them, you just leave them alone. You can watch them all you like. They tend to hang out near the springs this time of year and the clear water makes them easy to watch.

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 06:47 PM

11. Stupid is as stupid does

A few years ago I was in Smokey Mountain Natl. Park and saw two men chasing some deer that had been grazing in a field while a bunch of were watching and taking pics. Guess they just thought it would be fun to scare and harass some animals.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread