HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Michael Moore Intervenes ...

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 12:40 AM

Michael Moore Intervenes When Agents Threaten To Deport Palestinian Director At Airport

An Oscar-nominated Palestinian filmmaker was detained Tuesday and threatened with deportation by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agents at Los Angeles International Airport, according to Oscar-winning director Michael Moore.

Moore tweeted early Wednesday morning that Emad Burnat, director of 5 Broken Cameras, a film critical of Israeli West Bank settlements, was put in a holding area with his 8-year-old son “and told they didn’t have the proper invitation to attend the Oscars.”

Moore added that Burnat was “threatened with being sent back to Palestine.”

“Apparently the Immigration & Customs officers couldn’t understand how a Palestinian could be an Oscar nominee,” he continued. “Emad texted me for help.”

MORE...

Raw Story (http://s.tt/1A0Sk)

3 replies, 844 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Michael Moore Intervenes When Agents Threaten To Deport Palestinian Director At Airport (Original post)
Purveyor Feb 2013 OP
kenny blankenship Feb 2013 #1
azurnoir Feb 2013 #3
freshwest Feb 2013 #2

Response to Purveyor (Original post)

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 01:10 AM

1. 5 Broken Cameras is available now on Netflix streaming

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to kenny blankenship (Reply #1)

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 02:25 AM

3. Thank you I didn't know

I have check it out

Reply to this post

Response to Purveyor (Original post)

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 01:49 AM

2. Since when is a 'proper invitation to attend the Oscars' INS regulations?

They were allowed onto a plane coming to the United States, didn't commit a crime on board most likely, but someone didn't like 'em at LAX?

Sounds fishy to me. I don't get into this I/P stuff but I'm glad they had Michael Moore's contact information to get this straightened out.

Had to be miserable for that little boy to be kept there like that, so far away from home despite having his father with him. Good work, MM.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread