HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Dashboard Cameras On Priv...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 06:03 PM

Dashboard Cameras On Private Cars Popular In Russia, Catching On Here

TAMPA - The meteor bursting into a fireball over Russia last week was amazing enough, but it got a lot of us wondering. How did there come to be so many video clips of an event that lasted just a few seconds?

The answer is dash cams, common in Russia and getting more popular here.
In parts of Russia, driving is a contact sport. Hit and run accidents are common, road conditions are primitive in some areas and scammers entrap drivers into staged accidents.

Having a video record that tells your side of the story is considered good insurance. As a result, dash-cams are standard equipment for many Russians.

--CLIP
So as dash-cams on private vehicles become more common, our roadways, like those of Russia now, are sure to turn into a perpetually running reality show exposing the awesome, frightening and ridiculous for all the world to see.

Read more: http://www.abcactionnews.com/dpp/news/political/dashboard-cameras-on-private-cars-popular-in-russia-catching-on-here#ixzz2LU1n61tB

Crooks and cops will hate this, indeed!

8 replies, 1189 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply Dashboard Cameras On Private Cars Popular In Russia, Catching On Here (Original post)
Purveyor Feb 2013 OP
Agschmid Feb 2013 #1
pipoman Feb 2013 #2
Purveyor Feb 2013 #4
pipoman Feb 2013 #5
Purveyor Feb 2013 #6
pipoman Feb 2013 #8
Mopar151 Feb 2013 #3
TrogL Feb 2013 #7

Response to Purveyor (Original post)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 06:06 PM

1. I always wonder where Russia learned to drive... n/t

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 06:20 PM

2. I used cameras in my vehicle for years

while repossessing cars..I filmed a construction truck running a red light and hitting the front of my truck. The guy said I ran a red light, I didn't say anything about my cameras until the police arrived and the guy started yelling about me running a red light..he got a ticket and harsh words from the police.

Reply to this post

Response to pipoman (Reply #2)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 06:33 PM

4. Could be the next car fad gift by christmas not unlike the remote starters, then standard equipment

on new models.

Reply to this post

Response to Purveyor (Reply #4)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 07:02 PM

5. It's all fun and games 'til someone gets hurt..

like convicted of DUI based on the footage on their own camera. If one is going to film while driving, one has to be driving at their best..

Reply to this post

Response to pipoman (Reply #5)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 07:10 PM

6. Cuts both ways, indeed. I think I might want one...though. eom

Reply to this post

Response to Purveyor (Reply #6)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 07:49 PM

8. They are fun

as long as a person isn't the DUI, road rage, etc., type. My footage saved me several times from false claims..Right after I installed the cameras I was turning them on and off using them only while working. Then I was driving on a freeway when a deer ran across the highway and rammed it's head through the drivers window. The deer flew two stories in the air end over end and landed on a car 2 cars back causing him to get rear ended..My cameras were off..I always taped after that..

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 06:28 PM

3. The "Go-Pro" has taken over motorsports

My man Alex, drivin' a megadollar EvolutionII RHD like he stole it. You can see where this would be handy in traffic court......

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 07:40 PM

7. I've got one on order

Needed one last year. Too many crazy drivers

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread