HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » New ad for marriage equal...

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 05:05 PM

New ad for marriage equality shows the fight is over and the bigots lost

Another day, another example of how the battle for marriage equality really is coming to an end—and the good guys are winning.

Via Politico, the Respect for Marriage Coalition is out with a new ad featuring radical gay-agenda lefties Laura Bush, Colin Powell and Dick Cheney—all speaking in support of rights for gay couples. (Oh, plus President Barack Obama.)

The goal of the spot is to show voices from both sides of the political aisle supporting gay marriage, an issue that saw statewide victories in Washington, Maryland, Maine and Minnesota on Election Day last November.
Nine states have already legalized marriage equality, and Illinois may well be next—despite protestations from bigots like state Sen. Kyle McCarter that marriage equality "is discriminatory" to bigots.

Equality is coming. When you've got a $1 million media campaign that features conservative Republicans calling for rights for all, you know this battle really is over, and the bigots lost.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/02/20/1188587/-New-ad-for-marriage-equality-shows-the-fight-is-over-and-the-bigots-lost

11 replies, 829 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 11 replies Author Time Post
Reply New ad for marriage equality shows the fight is over and the bigots lost (Original post)
Playinghardball Feb 2013 OP
yardwork Feb 2013 #1
theHandpuppet Feb 2013 #2
yardwork Feb 2013 #3
LonePirate Feb 2013 #4
yardwork Feb 2013 #5
jeff47 Feb 2013 #6
yardwork Feb 2013 #9
jeff47 Feb 2013 #10
progressoid Feb 2013 #8
truebluegreen Feb 2013 #7
KG Feb 2013 #11

Response to Playinghardball (Original post)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 05:10 PM

1. Unfortunately, 31 states already have constitutional amendments against equal marriage

The country will divide now along state lines. Unless there is a federal solution - which President Obama opposes - I will never have the opportunity to marry my partner and neither will millions of other Americans.

It doesn't matter what Laura Bush thinks or says.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._state_constitutional_amendments_banning_same-sex_unions_by_type

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to yardwork (Reply #1)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 05:16 PM

2. +1000

Without a federal solution, there are no federal protections -- only perpetual battles over "states' rights".

Reply to this post

Response to theHandpuppet (Reply #2)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 05:19 PM

3. The battles are over in 31 states. There is nothing more that we can do.

Here in North Carolina, the people who pushed the hateful amendment through the state legislature even acknowledged that it was unnecessary and probably would be overturned in the future. It will be much more difficult to overturn than even its supporters realize. Undoing something like this will take decades.

The battles are over. In most states in the country the haters won.

Reply to this post

Response to yardwork (Reply #3)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 05:42 PM

4. We will need a favorable SCOTUS decision this summer to overturn those state amendments

I don't know if this court will issue such a far reaching decision; but it is the best short-term hope.

Reply to this post

Response to LonePirate (Reply #4)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 05:44 PM

5. I don't believe that the Court will go that far, anywhere near that far.

When the Democratic president is saying that it's a states' rights issue, where is the political pressure to overturn state constitutions?

Reply to this post

Response to yardwork (Reply #3)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 05:50 PM

6. Because prohibition is still in effect, right?

That 18th amendment sure was permanent. And the US constitution is so easy to amend compared to these state constitutions. And there isn't a federal government that can overrule the state constitutions.

Yep, the battle is utterly lost and we should all just give up. Nothing will ever change.

Reply to this post

Response to jeff47 (Reply #6)

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 10:46 AM

9. I'm saying just the opposite. There is a lot of premature self-congratulation among liberals

who seem to think that we are living in a post-homophobic society just because Laura Bush and Lynne Cheney are no longer involved in active campaigns to take away my rights. We still have a lot of work to do and a long way to go to undo the damage. The anti-gay rights campaigns that helped put w back in the White House in 2004 have left lasting effects that are still with us. My state just passed an extremely broad-ranging ant-equality state constitution last spring.

The Supreme Court may or may not reverse the hateful law in California (which President Obama tacitly helped when he said that "God was in the mix" and therefore he was opposed to equal marriage during his appearance on Rick Warren's show right before Proposition 8 was voted on in California) but I doubt very much that the Supreme Court or Congress is going to do squat for me or the millions of gay people living in dozens of states that have embraced voting bigotry into our state constitutions. We can't all move to Massachusetts.

I appreciate the support but please hold off on the premature celebrations that homophobia is a thing of the past. If only.

Reply to this post

Response to yardwork (Reply #9)

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 02:14 PM

10. "The battles are over" is not the opposite.

If your goal was to stir up support and effort, claiming absolutely nothing can be done in 31 states is a terrible way of doing it.

Reply to this post

Response to yardwork (Reply #1)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 06:37 PM

8. +1

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 05:56 PM

7. I wouldn't be surprized if the SC DID "go that far"

and overturn all of those state laws. The Court can be swayed by public opinion (see the ACA) and as the poster points out, the bigots have lost.

Justice Kennedy--the not very swingy swing vote--may not want to have his legacy tied to a policy the public (rightly) disagrees with, and is disagreeing with more every day.

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 02:16 PM

11. who gives a fuck what powell thinks.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread