HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » How the Other NRA is Maki...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 02:47 PM

How the Other NRA is Making Us Sick

from Civil Eats:

How the Other NRA is Making Us Sick
By Michele Simon on February 14, 2013

This week, food labor advocate Saru Jayaraman is releasing her new book, Behind the Kitchen Door, which relates heartbreaking stories of just some of the 10 million restaurant workers in the U.S. In a chapter called, Serving While Sick, she tells the disturbing tale of a fast-food worker who had no choice but to come to work with a bad cold since she couldn’t afford to go unpaid. When this worker tried to explain to her manager how perhaps handling food while coughing and sneezing was not such a good idea, she was laughed at. She later wondered how many customers she got sick that day because she couldn’t leave the counter every time she needed to wipe her nose.

As Jayaraman explains, this story is all too typical. Because most restaurant workers do not receive paid sick days, they are coming to work when they should stay home. Remember all the times that as a full-time salaried worker, you stayed home with a cold, or to take care of a sick child, or just needed a “mental health day?” It’s a perk many of us take for granted, but for workers who handle our food, in jobs where spreading germs is among the most risky, calling in sick not even an option.

That’s in large part thanks to the massive lobbying machine, the National Restaurant Association (aka the other NRA). In 2012 alone, the group (designated as a “heavy hitter” by the Center for Responsive Politics, among the 140 biggest donors since 1990) spent more than $2.7 million lobbying at the federal level, and donated more than a million dollars to federal candidates. (State restaurant associations are also very powerful.) The NRA also benefits nicely from the revolving door syndrome: Last year, 31 out of 40 NRA lobbyists previously held government jobs. Among the top issues on NRA’s agenda? Tips and sick leave. .....................(more)

The complete piece is at: http://civileats.com/2013/02/14/how-the-other-nra-is-making-us-sick/

1 replies, 352 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply How the Other NRA is Making Us Sick (Original post)
marmar Feb 2013 OP
tabbycat31 Feb 2013 #1

Response to marmar (Original post)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 03:46 PM

1. I used to work concession at a movie theater

When I was in HS. There was one weekend that I went to call out (I only worked weekends due to my school schedule) and they would not let me without a doctor's note. It was a Friday and I had not been at school since Tuesday (one of the ushers was in my homeroom and I told the manager that she could verify it with him).

I had bronchitis and pneumonia and ended up missing over a month of school. I had not seen the doctor yet. I ended up coming in that Friday and lasted for less than an hour when they noticed I could barely move around and I was hacking up everything. They excused me the rest of that weekend seeing I was in no condition to be serving people food.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread