HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Prosecutors: Oops, sorry ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 02:29 PM

Prosecutors: Oops, sorry about pretending Pistorius had testosterone in his house

They call it, "error." Because you know how easily a substance can turn up as testosterone even though it isn't.

"RETORIA, South Africa (AP) -- The investigating officer in the Oscar Pistorius murder case made an error in his court testimony Wednesday when he identified a substance found in the athlete's bedroom as testosterone, the national prosecutor said.

Medupe Simasiku, the spokesman for South Africa's National Prosecution Agency, told The Associated Press that it was too early to identify the substance as it was still undergoing laboratory tests.

''It is not certain (what it is) until the forensics.'' Simasiku said, adding that it wasn't certain if it was ''a legal or an illegal medication for now.''

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/defense-pistorius-substance-not-banned-133405477--oly.html

30 replies, 1939 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 30 replies Author Time Post
Reply Prosecutors: Oops, sorry about pretending Pistorius had testosterone in his house (Original post)
Mason Kennedy Feb 2013 OP
MADem Feb 2013 #1
elleng Feb 2013 #2
MADem Feb 2013 #4
elleng Feb 2013 #5
MADem Feb 2013 #9
elleng Feb 2013 #11
MADem Feb 2013 #13
Mason Kennedy Feb 2013 #7
HERVEPA Feb 2013 #22
Mason Kennedy Feb 2013 #3
MADem Feb 2013 #6
Mason Kennedy Feb 2013 #8
MADem Feb 2013 #12
Mason Kennedy Feb 2013 #15
MADem Feb 2013 #29
joeybee12 Feb 2013 #19
HooptieWagon Feb 2013 #14
Mason Kennedy Feb 2013 #16
HooptieWagon Feb 2013 #17
CJCRANE Feb 2013 #21
HooptieWagon Feb 2013 #23
riverwalker Feb 2013 #25
redqueen Feb 2013 #20
ananda Feb 2013 #10
riderinthestorm Feb 2013 #18
Blue_Tires Feb 2013 #28
riverwalker Feb 2013 #24
HooptieWagon Feb 2013 #30
catbyte Feb 2013 #26
riverwalker Feb 2013 #27

Response to Mason Kennedy (Original post)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 02:33 PM

1. They don't know what it is--yet. It could be something illegal.

How many herbal remedies are "injected?"

Prosecutor Nel also had to clarify that police were not saying that Pistorius was using the substance, only that it was discovered along with the needles in his bedroom.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to MADem (Reply #1)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 02:35 PM

2. Right, like Hagel 'might' have said

blah blah blah!

Reply to this post

Response to elleng (Reply #2)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 02:38 PM

4. Where there's smoke, there's fire.

Where there's a bloody cricket bat, evidence of arguing for over an hour with lights on, and four bullets through a bathroom door AND injectable needles, I think a suspicion of illegal substances isn't out of line.

We're not the judge and jury here--we're just people with opinions...and that's mine.

Reply to this post

Response to MADem (Reply #4)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 02:40 PM

5. You may have your opinion, obviously.

FYI, they don't have juries in South Africa.

Reply to this post

Response to elleng (Reply #5)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 02:43 PM

9. Well, yeah--I do have my opinion! And if the judge (or more than one) acts as the jury

I think they or s/he will be able to see the forest for the trees on this issue.

All we can do is wait for it to play out, but my money is on He Did It.

Reply to this post

Response to MADem (Reply #9)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 02:45 PM

11. We know 'he did it.'

The relevant issue is what was his INTENT.

Reply to this post

Response to elleng (Reply #11)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 02:50 PM

13. I don't think his intent was to kill a burglar.

He intended to wound/harm/hurt/shut up the dead woman, at a minimum. By the time he started shooting, he may not have had any "intent" that he can recall. Why that is, only time and testimony will tell.

Reply to this post

Response to MADem (Reply #4)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 02:42 PM

7. True. I now believe he either killled her or was set up

We agree on their being fire.

Reply to this post

Response to Mason Kennedy (Reply #7)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 03:31 PM

22. there

Reply to this post

Response to MADem (Reply #1)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 02:38 PM

3. Even if the substance is illegal...is it the violence-inducing testosterone?

Was the substance found in his house the kind whose side effect can make you violent?

We'll see. The medicine needs not be herbal in order for us to say, "so what if he had that substance"?

The first thing that crossed my mind (and I bet many other people's minds) when I heard testosterone is that he may have been enraged due to consumption of this drug. That increased my belief that he was guilty.

I don't know if he killed his wife, but all I know is the prosecution messed up, and now if he is guilty, they risk bringing justice to no-one because the opposing lawyers will paint the prosecution as sneaky sleazes making things up.

Reply to this post

Response to Mason Kennedy (Reply #3)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 02:41 PM

6. I doubt he's using those needles to darn socks. He's injecting something, and I don't think it's an

herbal remedy.

Even if there's no testimony about his drugs allowed, there are witnesses who heard arguing and who saw lights ON when he claimed he was in the dark.

He's toast. He'd probably be better off claiming he was under the influence of too many drugs and the balance of his mind was disturbed.

Reply to this post

Response to MADem (Reply #6)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 02:43 PM

8. Was the drug violence-inducing or mind-altering?

Apparently you know its characteristics. and how many were these "too many" drugs that he must claim he consumed?

Reply to this post

Response to Mason Kennedy (Reply #8)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 02:46 PM

12. Where did I say that? Answer: nowhere.

You're shit-stirring. It's noticeable. You might want to stop.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 02:54 PM

15. Oh! Yeah! the lady who lived 300 (or 600) yards away

and who claimed she heard more shots than were actually fired.

Can we agree not to leave key stuff out next time? Thanks in advance.

"Botha admitted the woman who heard what sounded like quarreling at Pistorius’ house lived about 600 yards away. Pistorius’ large contingent of supporters in court gasped and tittered at this revelation. Botha later modified that to 300 yards.

Roux told the court that the substance found in Pistorius' home was merely a herbal remedy, not a banned substance, leading Botha to admit he had not read the label fully.

The police statement that Pistorius hadn’t phoned an ambulance after the shooting relied on checks made on several phones found in the bathroom. But it came out that police failed to call the medical service provider, Netcare, to check the story. In fact, Roux said, Pistorius called Netcare at 3.20 a.m., minutes after shooting Steenkamp, from another phone.

The neighbor who had reported hearing a woman screaming after the first gunshot had also claimed to have heard more shots than were fired, Botha agreed. That neighbor has also claimed the lights were on in the house, directly contradicting Pistorius’ claim that it was pitch dark."

http://www.latimes.com/news/world/worldnow/la-fg-wn-pistorius-lawyer-attacks-police-work-20130220,0,4249062.story

Reply to this post

Response to Mason Kennedy (Reply #15)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 04:57 PM

29. I'm sure someone will get out there and measure the distance, and see how well sound carries late at

night, and if there's an echo after a loud report, which can make one shot sound like two, and two sound like four, etc.

I gotta say, if the lights were out, this guy is pretty smooth--I couldn't put my shoes on in pitch dark--quite a trick to put on LEGS.

I wonder if anyone in the neighborhood has surveillance cameras set to record? That might tell a tale.

Who's "leaving key stuff out?" What a silly remark. This is a case that happened halfway around the world, where information is still being developed--and you're not Perry Mason, you're just some guy reading the paper--like we ALL are.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 03:14 PM

19. The witnesses now admitted to being about 1,000 feet away...

Another over-step by the police.

Reply to this post

Response to Mason Kennedy (Reply #3)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 02:52 PM

14. A lot of errors in your post.

A) To be accurate, she was his gf, not his wife (not that it makes any difference).
B) We know he killed her, that is not in question. What is yet to be determined is whether he killed her deliberately or by accident.
C) Prosecuters did jump the gun calling the substance testosterone. Maybe they read the label on the bottle? Still, better they kept it under wraps until testing complete. And, unless the substance is insulin, chances are it and the needles aren't good. I don't think it will have a large bearing on the trial, unless Pistorius is going to claim under the influence as part of his defense. If substance illegal or unpescribed, then it may be additional charges.

Reply to this post

Response to HooptieWagon (Reply #14)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 02:55 PM

16. "we know he killed her"

Lol. The difference between knowing and believing used to be clear.
Anyway, I'll be glad to receive the link of the survey you made among "we", with percentages and everything.

My error about marital status was totally irrelevant.

Reply to this post

Response to Mason Kennedy (Reply #16)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 02:58 PM

17. He admitted he killed her.

I'll take his word for it. The question is whether it was accidental as he claims, or deliberate as police/prosecuters claim.

Reply to this post

Response to HooptieWagon (Reply #17)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 03:21 PM

21. This is what I don't get - he intended to kill the person in the bathroom

whoever it was. That's premeditated murder.

I'm not a lawyer but I assume that in most jurisdictions it doesn't matter if it was a burglar, the janitor, his neighbor etc. etc., the intent was there and he followed through on it.

Reply to this post

Response to CJCRANE (Reply #21)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 03:35 PM

23. Good question.

I'm not familiar with the details of South African law. It is likely they have some sort of "Castle Doctrine"...given the high crime rate, and Pistorius' defense based upon an alleged intruder.
However, where Pistorius' story falls apart...how did an intruder gain entry when Pistorius was awake? What intruder locks themselve into the bathroom immediately upon gaining entry? What immediate threat did an intruder locked in the bathroom pose? Like I said, I don't know SA law, but those are questions I'd be asking.

Reply to this post

Response to HooptieWagon (Reply #23)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 03:48 PM

25. no link, but

I read an earlier article on SA law, said once the threat was in the bathroom, it was premeditated murder to obtain your weapon, walk the distance to the bathroom and shoot to kill. Even if it was a real burgler, they would have a murder charge.

Reply to this post

Response to Mason Kennedy (Reply #16)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 03:19 PM

20. Are you fucking serious? He ADMITS to killing her!

Might want to dial back the tone there, considering.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 02:45 PM

10. I think some of the cops have been compromised.

That seems pretty clear to me.

Reply to this post

Response to ananda (Reply #10)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 03:11 PM

18. I'm beginning to get an OJ vibe to this...beginning to wonder if he'll walk nt

Reply to this post

Response to ananda (Reply #10)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 04:44 PM

28. Either that, or they are given no training whatsoever

on how to testify in court...One of the cops on the stand yesterday was all over the place...Just stick to the facts of the case and get a conviction...

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 03:45 PM

24. why was she dressed at 3 am?

According to his story, they were in bed, she got up to use the bathroom. Then why is she dressed in shorts and a vest? Why was the bathroom door locked?
Both facts are more consistant with an argument, she gets dressed to leave, is scared and locks herself in the bathroom.

Reply to this post

Response to riverwalker (Reply #24)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 07:55 PM

30. I agree.

The situation is more consistant with them having an argument. You have to suspend logic to believe his story.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 03:52 PM

26. I've never heard of injecting an herbal supplement. Is that common?

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 04:25 PM

27. "testo-compositum co-enzyme "

is what it was. I can see why they could have assumed it was some kind of testosterone in an olympic atheletes home.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/feb/20/oscar-pistorius-case-police-blunders

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread