HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Klan files paperwork for ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 11:18 AM

Klan files paperwork for rally in Memphis, TN to protest renaming of Confederate-themed city parks

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2013/feb/19/memphis-city-council-looks-guidelines-put-place-kk/

A few weeks ago, the Memphis City Council renamed three parks downtown. They were Forrest Park (named after Nathan Bedford Forrest), Confederate Park, and Jefferson Davis Park. The parks have always been a sore spot for many of Memphis' citizens, and when the City Council decided once and for all to get serious about renaming them, some of the East TN legislators tried to ram a bill through prohibiting the renaming of any park named after a war or war figure.

http://www.capitol.tn.gov/Bills/108/Bill/HB0553.pdf

The City Council, in an effort to head off the interference from Nashville, Parkers Crossroads, et al, passed a resolution immediately renaming the parks with generic non-war names. This effectively neutered HB0553. The understanding is that these names are placeholders and the parks will be given proper names after careful consideration. This caused a firestorm that has yet to die down.

The Ku Klux Klan filed for a permit to protest downtown, as they are apparently very concerned with the preservation of history.

The Memphis Police Director, Toney Armstrong, is considering forcing the Klan to protest without hoods or masks, as several have indicated they will be exercising their 2nd amendment rights during the rally. Armstrong's contention is that unidentifiable people carrying weapons and looking to incite a riot is not a good thing.

I fully support this endeavor. Make these witless fopdoodles own their words by showing their faces. I don't want them going back to wherever they call home and blending in. Let them withstand scrutiny from their peers. They are anachronistic throwbacks, good for nothing and are hindering those of us in Memphis who are trying to heal the race problems that plague this city.

If you support this effort, please take a moment to email him, our mayor, and the city council with support. They are under pressure from some of the backwards locals to allow the Klan to protest with their hoods on. Let's DU this thing, so to speak. Thank you.

Toney Armstrong, Police Director: mpd@memphispolice.org

A.C. Wharton, Memphis Mayor: mayor@memphistn.gov

Memphis City Council: http://www.memphistn.gov/Government/CityCouncil/CouncilMembers.aspx

13 replies, 1041 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 13 replies Author Time Post
Reply Klan files paperwork for rally in Memphis, TN to protest renaming of Confederate-themed city parks (Original post)
reflection Feb 2013 OP
CBGLuthier Feb 2013 #1
loudsue Feb 2013 #2
reflection Feb 2013 #3
TlalocW Feb 2013 #4
hatrack Feb 2013 #5
reflection Feb 2013 #8
KamaAina Feb 2013 #6
Brother Buzz Feb 2013 #13
madinmaryland Feb 2013 #7
hatrack Feb 2013 #10
reflection Feb 2013 #11
Hugabear Feb 2013 #9
Taverner Feb 2013 #12

Response to reflection (Original post)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 11:22 AM

1. They banned the wearing of masks in Oklahoma back in the 30s when the KKK

tried to take over the state.

Then in the 70's they used that law against Iranian students who protested.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 11:24 AM

2. Where are the suicide bombers when you really need them?

It would be a better world if they would bomb this crowd. After all, THIS is the "great white satan", as far as I'm concerned.

Reply to this post

Response to loudsue (Reply #2)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 11:25 AM

3. You said it.

These folks are a plague. They need to be exposed and marginalized until they are no more.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 01:17 PM

4. Just tell them

That people are tired of having their parks named after historical losers. Is that so hard?

Yes, I know it would just piss them off more.

TlalocW

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 01:18 PM

5. "Witless fopdoodles" - Can I borrow that? Please?!?

Reply to this post

Response to hatrack (Reply #5)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 02:37 PM

8. I don't remember where I heard it, but it's not mine.

So, have at it.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 01:19 PM

6. "Make these witless fopdoodles own their words by showing their faces."

"fopdoodles"!!!

In the movie "Fried Green Tomatoes", all the women knew whose husbands were in the Klan. Because they never bothered to change their shoes.

Reply to this post

Response to KamaAina (Reply #6)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 03:04 PM

13. Scout identified a klan member, a merchant(?) in To Kill a Mockingbird the same way

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 01:41 PM

7. The should be renamed as follows:

William Park
Tecumseh Park
Sherman Park

Reply to this post

Response to madinmaryland (Reply #7)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 02:47 PM

10. I was thinking Loser Park #1, Loser Park #2, Loser Park #3

Reply to this post

Response to madinmaryland (Reply #7)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 02:47 PM

11. I wanted to rename Forrest Park

as "Nathan Bedford Forrest Massacre of Unarmed Black Soldiers at Fort Pillow Park" and dare the folks in Nashville to pass that bill, thereby cementing the name forever, since it was named after a war figure and all.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 02:42 PM

9. Confederates were traitors. They should be reviled, not honored.

And on a side note: Claiming that the Confederate flag represents "heritage not hate" is absolute bullshit. Even during the Civil War, most Southerners identified themselves with their state, not the Confederacy as a whole. So if someone really wanted to display their "heritage", then they should be flying their state flag - not the "Stars & Bars".

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 02:51 PM

12. It's about time the South got over the Civil War

It was an act of treason. Should the US be celebrating Benedict Arnold? King George III?

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread