HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » How I Fell for Cats by Ca...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 03:14 AM

How I Fell for Cats by Candy Crowley

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by SidDithers (a host of the General Discussion forum).

My family always had dogs, and I never thought much of cat people. Then two kittens came into my life—and helped me raise my boys.
By Candy Crowley

I was raised in a so-not-a-cat family. All dog, all the time.

Dog people are cool.

Cat people are crazy.

I am so not a cat person.

In my grown-up home in Bethesda, my Labrador, Buffy—“the mellow yellow”—was the beloved senior member of a menagerie that included fish, parakeets, cockatiels, and the occasional hamster. No cat.

Which is why I was surprised in August 1990 to find myself driving home with a three-to-four-month-old kitten—a feral kitten, actually. Part of a roaming litter in the back yard of a friend living in Georgetown, she had been captured by animal rescue people armed with a giant net. They said a feral cat would calm down in days if confined to a small space and talked to quietly.

I had a bit of a wild child of my own, my younger son, Jonathan, 12. So I got to thinking: It could be a good fit.

Iraq had invaded Kuwait days earlier. We named her Baghdad.

Bags was all cat—crabby, persnickety, not interested in cuddling unless she had 30 seconds to spare. But she let my wild child scoop her up and hold her while she purred.
<snip>
Much more: http://www.washingtonian.com/articles/homes/how-i-fell-for-cats/index.php

Ya never know, ya know?

11 replies, 1230 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 11 replies Author Time Post
Reply How I Fell for Cats by Candy Crowley (Original post)
Are_grits_groceries Feb 2013 OP
silverweb Feb 2013 #1
REP Feb 2013 #2
MotherPetrie Feb 2013 #3
Heidi Feb 2013 #4
The Wizard Feb 2013 #5
TexasProgresive Feb 2013 #6
fishwax Feb 2013 #7
ljm2002 Feb 2013 #8
joeybee12 Feb 2013 #9
EOTE Feb 2013 #10
SidDithers Feb 2013 #11

Response to Are_grits_groceries (Original post)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 03:31 AM

1. What a sweet, sad story.

I'll never look at Candy Crowley in quite the same way again.

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 03:52 AM

2. The photo of her sons holding and kissing the cat is wonderful

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 05:50 AM

3. cat loving K&R

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 06:05 AM

4. Kick!

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 06:10 AM

5. The love of a cat is a blessing

On January 4, 1993, the cat in this book and the books that preceded it was put to sleep in Kerrville, Texas, by DR. W.H. Hoegemeyer and myself. Cuddles was fourteen years old, a respectable age. She was as close to me as any human being I have ever known.
Cuddles and I spent many years together, both in New York, where I found her as a little kitten on the street in Chinatown, and later on the ranch in Texas. She was always with me, on the table, on the bed, by the fireplace, beside the typewriter, on top of my suitcase when I returned from a trip.
I dug Cuddles' grave with a silver spade, in the little garden by the stream behind the old green trailer where both of us lived in the summertime. Her burial shroud was my old New York sweatshirt and in the grave with her is a can of tuna and a cigar.
A few days ago I received a sympathy note from Bill Hoegemeyer, the veterinarian. It opened with a verse by Irving Townsend: "We who choose to surround ourselves with lives even more temporary than our own live within a fragile circle…"
Now as I write this, on a gray winter day by the fireside, I can almost feel her light tread moving from my head and my heart down through my fingertips to the keys of the typewriter. People may surprise you with unexpected kindness. Dogs have a depth of loyalty that we often seem unworthy of. But the love of a cat is a blessing, a privilege in this world.
They say when you die and go to heaven all the dogs and cats you ever owned in your life come running to meet you.
Until that day, rest in peace Cuddles.
Kinky Friedman
Madina, Texas
February 5, 1993

Response to The Wizard (Reply #5)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 06:43 AM

6. Thank you for that

I sent it to my wife. We have been blessed to have many cat friends in our lives. Everyone was their own self and if you are privileged to be chosen as their special friend it is amazing.

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 12:46 PM

8. That was a really nice column...

...it made me think of the cats in my life. Of which I now have two, both of whom found me and demanded I care for them.

Just like in the column, these two "free" cats have cost me plenty of $$$... I've been grateful that I was able to muster the resources they needed when they were injured or in ill health.

Both cats and dogs, as well as other pets, can be such a wonderful comfort in our lives.

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 01:41 PM

9. Well, since she likes cats, there might be hope for her after all...nt

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 01:48 PM

10. So Candy Crowley has finally found a subject fitting of her journalistic ability. NT

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 02:16 PM

11. Locking...

please consider reposting in The Lounge.

Thanks,
Sid