HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » The Death Penalty needs t...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 12:49 AM

The Death Penalty needs to be abolished.

There is no human reason or reasoning why we should execute people who have committed crimes, when they have already been apprehended and confined from society. The death penalty is not correction nor rehabilitation. It's revenge and nothing else.
We consider ourselves to be a civilized society, yet we kill people who are no longer a threat to us. We are part of the 40 countries left in the world who still execute. Europe almost completely has abolished the death penalty, with the exception of Belarus. Are we that backwords as society to take human life just to get even? Wtf is wrong with us? And has anyone in the government even tried to abolish this insanity? Many complain about it, but I don't see anything being actuality done

30 replies, 1776 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 30 replies Author Time Post
Reply The Death Penalty needs to be abolished. (Original post)
darkangel218 Feb 2013 OP
flvegan Feb 2013 #1
elleng Feb 2013 #2
BainsBane Feb 2013 #14
elleng Feb 2013 #15
darkangel218 Feb 2013 #3
rsmith6621 Feb 2013 #4
Kennah Feb 2013 #5
Luminous Animal Feb 2013 #7
Kennah Feb 2013 #6
darkangel218 Feb 2013 #8
Separation Feb 2013 #9
darkangel218 Feb 2013 #10
Separation Feb 2013 #12
BainsBane Feb 2013 #13
darkangel218 Feb 2013 #16
elleng Feb 2013 #18
BainsBane Feb 2013 #11
darkangel218 Feb 2013 #20
BainsBane Feb 2013 #21
darkangel218 Feb 2013 #22
BainsBane Feb 2013 #23
darkangel218 Feb 2013 #25
dsc Feb 2013 #17
BillF Feb 2013 #19
darkangel218 Feb 2013 #24
BillF Feb 2013 #26
Heidi Feb 2013 #29
cali Feb 2013 #27
davidn3600 Feb 2013 #28
Freemont13 May 2013 #30

Response to darkangel218 (Original post)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 01:00 AM

1. You are right. It is revenge. A human emotion.

Let me know when folks here grasp that. Somehow "revenge" is strong with liberals/democrats. I don't get it either.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 01:31 AM

2. Its a state-by-state decision.

Abolition before statehood Historically, several states have always been without capital punishment, the earliest being Michigan, which has not conducted an execution since it entered the Union. (However, one federal execution occurred in Michigan in 1938.) Shortly after attaining statehood, Michigan abolished the death penalty for ordinary crimes, becoming the first English-speaking government in the world to abolish the death penalty for all crimes except treason. In 1963, Michigan amended its constitution to prevent later attempts at reinstatement. Every attempt through referendums and voter initiatives to reinstate the penalty since 1963 has failed, the latest being a failed attempt at a referendum in 2004.

The newest two states, Alaska and Hawaii, abolished the death penalty prior to statehood, though Alaska had executed eight men when it was a territory. (19001959).

Other early repeals Other states with long tenures of no death penalty include Wisconsin (with the distinction of being the only state to perform a single state-level execution in its history, and also the first to abolish the death penalty for all crimes), Rhode Island (although later reintroduced, it was unused and abolished again), Maine, North Dakota, Minnesota, West Virginia, Iowa, and Vermont. The District of Columbia has also abolished the death penalty; it was last applied there in 1957. One state, Oregon, abolished the death penalty through an overwhelming majority in a 1964 public referendum, but reinstated it in a 1984 joint death penalty/life imprisonment referendum by an even higher margin, after a similar 1978 referendum succeeded but was not implemented due to judicial rulings.

Recent abolition

The District of Columbia and the following 17 U.S. states currently do not have an enforceable death penalty statute:

Alaska
Connecticut **
Hawaii
Illinois
Iowa
Maine
Massachusetts
Michigan
Minnesota
New Jersey
New Mexico**
New York
North Dakota
Rhode Island
Vermont
West Virginia
Wisconsin
Note: states with ** means the death penalty is enforceable for offences committed before the repeal

Reply to this post

Response to elleng (Reply #2)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 02:43 AM

14. Thanks for your informative post

Reply to this post

Response to BainsBane (Reply #14)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 02:47 AM

15. You're welcome.

If/when more states remove it the Supremes might, if asked, find it to be 'cruel and unusual,' IF the 'original intent' members have left the Court by that time.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 01:37 AM

3. Thank you for your post.

Many states still have the death penalty legal though. Including FL, the state where I live. It makes me sick to hear of people literally being put down, and their victims as spectators. I was raped in my teens. I would not however, ever want that asshole being killed for his crime. Two wrongs don't make a right. Ever.

There needs to be a federal abolishment of this craziness. We are above that. At least I hope so.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 01:49 AM

4. Washington State Next In Line To Abolish Death Penalty

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 01:50 AM

5. There is nothing wrong with revenge ...

... when a state convicts and jails someone, seizes their assets to pay back the victims, and refuses to let the convicted person profit from their crimes. It accomplishes a just end.

But killing them, just 'cause, at an exorbitant monetary cost to society? Why let them keep stealing? Keep them alive and imprisoned, and when we discover that the state fucked up and imprisoned the wrong person, often because they were the guilty color and not the guilty party, some restitution can be made. Not so after an execution. No death penalty proponents will ever entertain the idea that an innocent person was executed because that would destroy the mechanism for them to satisfy their bloodlust.

Even if it were monetarily cost effective, there is no moral reason for the death penalty, and it presupposes the state will NEVER make a mistake.

Reply to this post

Response to Kennah (Reply #5)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 02:05 AM

7. That would be retribution, not revenge.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 01:55 AM

6. Illinois Abolished it in 2011

http://www.npr.org/2011/03/09/134394946/illinois-abolishes-death-penalty

Ryan imposed a moratorium and commuted 167 sentences in 2003. He may have been a corrupt Republican, but this is something he did right.

Reply to this post

Response to Kennah (Reply #6)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 02:06 AM

8. Good for IL.

All the other states should follow suite. And soon. I don't want to hear anymore what was the last meal of a death row inmate. We the people, do not have the right to kill.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 02:15 AM

9. I'm for the death penalty.

What I'm not for is sending innocents to death row. So as it stands now I am against it until there is a %100 fail safe that an innocent man/woman will be sent to death row.

I know it's probably an unpopular view here, but a person who can torture rape and murder another person doesn't belong on this earth. Problem is, corrupt DA, police, and a prison system that relies on prisoners as a business model cannot be relied to fairly judge a person on life or death.

Reply to this post

Response to Separation (Reply #9)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 02:21 AM

10. You are not god , to decide who belongs here or who doesnt.

You have no right to kill someone for their crimes. Those laws were put in place by extremist, old fashioned politicians. Please EVOLVE.

Reply to this post

Response to darkangel218 (Reply #10)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 02:41 AM

12. Sorry, I'm only human.

And you made the case I presented. God if he exists is infallible, man is not. Until God sits as Judge and Jury I am against it, like I stated. I will, however stand by my opinion that certain people don't deserve deserve to share our oxygen.

Reply to this post

Response to darkangel218 (Reply #10)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 02:41 AM

13. I agree

My own religious beliefs are uncertain, but if God does exist, I believe only he has the right to bring about life and death. If there is no God, that decision should fall to nature and not human beings. The death penalty is morally wrong on every level.

Reply to this post

Response to BainsBane (Reply #13)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 02:47 AM

16. +1 nt

Reply to this post

Response to Separation (Reply #9)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 02:50 AM

18. It is simply not possible to affirm 100% that no innocent will be sent to death row,

as long as guilt/innocence is determined at trial.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 02:39 AM

11. There are a number of anti-death penalty organizations

The Southern Poverty Law Center works on it, and Texas has a state anti-death penalty organization. Of course the Innocence Project works to free wrongly convinced people on death row via DNA testing.

I agree completely with your assessment of the death penalty. Punishment is about us as a society rather than the person being punished. The very language you invoke about a civilized society was exactly what 19th-century Brazilian jurists argued about the death penalty before abolishing it in 1889, just a few months after the abolition of slavery in that country. Slavery, race, and death were linked in Brazil, as in the US. There is no way to separate the death penalty in the US from the institutionalized racism that characterizes our justice system. The fact that killing a white person is the key factor in leading to death sentences, particularly when perpetrators are black men, is troubling. Jury verdicts clearly show that our society values white lives over black.

I'm sort of surprised to see you post a thread condemning the death penalty because of your views on guns. I'm wondering how you reconcile the two opinions? For me both are about the sanctity of human life.

Reply to this post

Response to BainsBane (Reply #11)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 02:56 AM

20. Because i belive in procteting myself.

As a victim of rape and physical violence, I belive in being able to protect oneself from that. However, I don't believe in eye for an eye justice. Human life is sacred indeed.

Reply to this post

Response to darkangel218 (Reply #20)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 02:58 AM

21. I respect that

I can understand your need to protect yourself given your experiences. Do you support the gun reforms proposed by the President?

Reply to this post

Response to BainsBane (Reply #21)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 03:03 AM

22. Of course i do!!

And so do many of pro second amendment supporters.

Reply to this post

Response to darkangel218 (Reply #22)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 03:04 AM

23. awesome!

and thank you for posting on the death penalty, an important issue we don't talk about enough.

Reply to this post

Response to BainsBane (Reply #23)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 03:18 AM

25. Bainsbain.. i have totally changed my opinion about you.

Thank you for being who you are. We need more like you. Please always speak your mind, no matter what.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 02:50 AM

17. It is becoming increasingly difficult to get juries to give the death penalty

Despite the fact that opponents of the death penalty can't serve on juries in death penalty cases, many juries are convicting but giving life sentences instead of death. Even ghastly, high profile cases are getting life sentences.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 02:55 AM

19. It's slowly disappearing, although too slowly...

for my taste. It has some serious fans in places like Texas.

Anyone against the DP should know about the Death Penalty Information Center which has more than anyone really wants to know about it, but is reliable when facts are needed.

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/

And, within the mythology of the DP the story of Rainey Bethea and the last public execution in the country is well worth knowing about. 20,000 or so people showed up at Owensboro for the hanging, and the crowd became drunk and unruly. The scandals from the news reports (not all entirely accurate and possibly overhyping the violence) caused major repercussions and the end of public executions.

I once knew a guy who claimed he had a piece of Bethea's shirt ripped off the corpse by his uncle. He wasn't proud of having it, but didn't really know what to do with it. He wasn't even sure if the shirt was really Bethea's.

http://www.npr.org/programs/morning/features/2001/apr/010430.execution.html

Reply to this post

Response to BillF (Reply #19)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 03:08 AM

24. Too slowly though.

You know what makes me sick? Hearing about victims or victims families witnessing the execution. Who would want to witness that?? I mean seriously, would would any of you want to watch someone die??

It makes me sick to my stomach

Reply to this post

Response to darkangel218 (Reply #24)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 03:24 AM

26. I've heard that many of them don't...

get the closure they expected. Some realize that their feelings won't go away that way and try something else, and others just go on hating.

I can't tell anyone who went through the murder of a loved one what to do, but I can suggest that keeping the hate alive within them is not a good idea. Find a way to move on, however hard that my seem.

Reply to this post

Response to BillF (Reply #19)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 06:47 AM

29. Welcome to DU, BillF!

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 03:31 AM

27. For a brief few years in the 1970s, the DP was effectively

outlawed in this country due to Furman v. Georgia. That was reversed with Gregg v. Georgia. Since Furman (1976), a horrifying 3,100 people have been executed in this country.

What can you do about it beyond complain on DU?

Start here:

http://www.ncadp.org/
http://www.aclu.org/maps/end-death-penalty

This organization is Florida specific:

http://www.fadp.org/

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 05:47 AM

28. Countries that permit the death penalty....

Not many democracies in this list. Not many first-world countries in this list....

Afghanistan
Antigua and Barbuda
Bahamas
Bahrain
Bangladesh
Barbados
Belarus
Belize
Botswana
Chad
China (People's Republic)
Comoros
Congo (Democratic Republic)
Cuba
Dominica
Egypt
Equatorial Guinea
Ethiopia
Guatemala
Guinea
Guyana
India
Indonesia
Iran
Iraq
Jamaica
Japan
Jordan
Kuwait
Lebanon
Lesotho
Libya
Malaysia
Mongolia
Nigeria
North Korea
Oman
Pakistan
Palestinian Authority
Qatar
St. Kitts and Nevis
St. Lucia
St. Vincent and the Grenadines
Saudi Arabia
Singapore
Somalia
South Sudan
Sudan
Syria
Taiwan
Thailand
Trinidad and Tobago
Uganda
United Arab Emirates
United States
Vietnam
Yemen
Zimbabwe

Reply to this post

Mon May 27, 2013, 04:45 PM

30. Florida

www.marchforlifeandjustice.com

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread